Aluminum Powder and freon

Moderator: Mike Everman

youngrocketkid20
Antipspambot question: 0

Aluminum Powder and freon

Post by youngrocketkid20 » Sun May 13, 2007 11:06 am

I was just wondering what the reaction would be to mix freon and aluminum powder. Would it burn like aluminum and ammonium percholate would? Just wondering, as I dont want to blow my hands off trying to experiment with it, so ill ask you guys. :D
If you think hard, design it, you can build it!

Jim Berquist

kid20

Post by Jim Berquist » Sun May 13, 2007 6:10 pm

What ever gave you that Idea?

Read and Heed! Phosgene Gas is a byproduct of combustion. Not Friendly Stuff......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haloalkane

Jim
WHAT TO FRAP, IT WORKED![url=callto://james.a.berquist]Image[/url]

marksteamnz

Re: Aluminum Powder and freon

Post by marksteamnz » Sun May 13, 2007 8:50 pm

If it's just freon and alumium. zip nada zero. You have mixed a fire extinquishing agent with some alluminium. Why do you think a non reactive gas flame supressing gas would do anything?

youngrocketkid20 wrote:I was just wondering what the reaction would be to mix freon and aluminum powder. Would it burn like aluminum and ammonium percholate would? Just wondering, as I dont want to blow my hands off trying to experiment with it, so ill ask you guys. :D
Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz

Jim Berquist

kid20

Post by Jim Berquist » Sun May 13, 2007 9:53 pm

Markstreamnz: I think that was a joke or a test.

When combusted with other products, CFC's seem to form this wonder full thing call Phosgene Gas. It is the basis of our old friend called Chlorine Gas . The Chlorine fills the Red Blood cells with chlorine as so they can not carry oxygen. CFC's do the same to extinguish fire. It replaces the oxygen as to inhibit combustion. In the Ozone layers, it replaces oxygen and there for halts the production of Ozone.

Jim

marksteamnz

Re: kid20

Post by marksteamnz » Sun May 13, 2007 11:47 pm

berquistj@peoplepc.com wrote:Markstreamnz: I think that was a joke or a test.

When combusted with other products, CFC's seem to form this wonder full thing call Phosgene Gas. It is the basis of our old friend called Chlorine Gas . The Chlorine fills the Red Blood cells with chlorine as so they can not carry oxygen. CFC's do the same to extinguish fire. It replaces the oxygen as to inhibit combustion. In the Ozone layers, it replaces oxygen and there for halts the production of Ozone.
Jim
Jim not quite.
CCl4 (Carbon tetra chloride) is the dangerous one for heating to phosgene. Most haloalkanes are quite hard to convert to phosgene, not that that matters as burning fluro carbons, many of which contain NO chlorine (ie HFC-134a), is dangerous because it liberates the halogens as gaseous acids ie HF HBr HCl. HF hydrogen fluoride is an EXTREMELY nasty molecule. These acids when inhaled destroy lung tissue so body fluids seep into the air spaces so you basically drown.
The reason Haloalkanes and quite a few other halogen based fire retardents (such as Antimoney tri Chloride) work so well is the halogen is liberated as a radical in the flame which interfers with the flame reactions. Displacing Oxygen is a much lesser effect.

Your analysis for Ozone is also incorrect.
As some one famous said. "It should be a simple explanation but not simpler than a correct explanation"
Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz

Jim Berquist

Post by Jim Berquist » Mon May 14, 2007 2:17 am

OOOPS! And there we go. Now I know!

Jim

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Tue May 15, 2007 12:11 pm

They inject Freon into large (space bound) rockets exhaust streams to steer and make the rocket stable without giant fins that add extra weight. Plus fins cant steer in space....
Sailing Student- How do I know if my life jacket is tight enough?
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

youngrocketkid20

Post by youngrocketkid20 » Thu May 17, 2007 8:22 am

It wasn't a matter of a joke, I really got read more books on chemistry. I just got my hands tied up at work again last night. My god they're pushing me. I appreciate the responses about this. I was reading a thread about freon and it just popped to think that it may have been mixed with the aluminum powder and ammonium percholate. thanks.
If you think hard, design it, you can build it!