whats the best idea for rocket

Moderator: Mike Everman

youngrocketkid20
Antipspambot question: 0

whats the best idea for rocket

Post by youngrocketkid20 » Thu May 03, 2007 9:09 am

I haven't posted in such a long time, busy with work and working out things. now I have a large expanse of time. I think it's best to ask the big question.
What would be the best thing fuel to use? Ammonium percholate and aluminum powder I would probably use later, as I can get the aluminum powder easily. Besides peroxide, is Rcandy the best there is out there? If there is better success, any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
If you think hard, design it, you can build it!

youngrocketkid20

never mind, but another question

Post by youngrocketkid20 » Thu May 03, 2007 11:59 am

I'm going with the Rcandy method for fuel, but I read up on some other threads that PVC won't bond with the inside motor casting and paper would be used to roll the RCandy into the motor, but what type of metal would be great for the motor housing? I would probably have paper rolled onto the inside of an aluminum tube??

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu May 03, 2007 6:34 pm

Impulsive guy ain'tcha? : oP Slow things down a bit, do a bit of looking about, there's a lot already out there on rCandy motors, check the links shown, and google richard nakka's site, I can't remember the link off the top of my head...

Tom
Experience speaks more then hypothesizing ever can. More-so in chemistry.

Jim Berquist

Richards Wisdom

Post by Jim Berquist » Thu May 03, 2007 6:57 pm

TaDa!!!!

http://members.aol.com/ricnakk/index.html

http://www.nakka-rocketry.net/pvcmot4.html

http://www.nakka-rocketry.net/knepoxy.html

Here is a Bone to chew on! I've been chewing for a while now!

Whhhhhhoooooooooo!
Jim
WHAT TO FRAP, IT WORKED![url=callto://james.a.berquist]Image[/url]

marksteamnz

Post by marksteamnz » Thu May 03, 2007 10:23 pm

Thud Thud Thud. That's me beating my head against a brick wall. People I wrote the sticky at the top of this forum so there were brief descriptions and links avaliable. It's still there and the links still work. Sigh
Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz

Jim Berquist

Stickies:

Post by Jim Berquist » Thu May 03, 2007 11:21 pm

Markstreamnz:

Your right! Maybe everyone wishing to post to a section of the forum should be required to sign off on the stickies associated with that section before they can post! That would stop a lot of the Double, triple and 100000^9 questions on the same Items or subjects .....Eaaaa!

All they would have to do is sign off on it. If they don't really read it is ok. Just direct them to it and that way they would know it's there.

How can I re-post this to the How To Make The Forum Better? Call it a 101 class on said subject!

Jim

youngrocketkid20

Post by youngrocketkid20 » Fri May 04, 2007 7:49 am

I like Richard Nakka's site. Very informitive. I've read a lot of his stuff. I read most I could. Another question would be, what is the best book to pick up at the nearest bookstore? Any recommendations are taken to consideration. Thanks guys :D

celsius235

Post by celsius235 » Sun May 06, 2007 5:49 pm

Dear youngrocketkid20, the first of all, the Rocket is more, a lot of more dangerous that Pulse Jets, I have been working with rocket propellants many years, I know the Nakka’s work very well. Forget the Hydrogen Peroxide, to work with HP you need to distiller ( danger ), you need to store in special container Stain lees steal o Pirex but if is not enough clean Boom...... because a little particle can react with the HP.
Maybe to begin you can buy rocket engines selling in the USA this is the best way, but never to add to my bicycle as booster. All solid rocket propellant as considered by the authorities as explosives compounds, why, easy is very explosive. I do not know how all are you, but the rocket engines are very dander and need to read a lot of literature of them. I have known same friends who have lost same hand, finger, eye, ear.... working with rocket propellant. Pulse Jets with or without valves are very safe and enough exciting.

youngrocketkid20

Post by youngrocketkid20 » Mon May 07, 2007 3:56 am

Celsius. The reason I want to run with rockets is because I used to do all the estes rocket engines. It gets very boring, but if you build it yourself and take pride in your work, you get the benefits of the labor. In America, sugar propellents are not considered explosives. The downside to pulsejets are they are loud and cumbersome, plus I have a hearing problem in the left side of my ear and soon when i get old I will not be able to hear out of it. I was considering building one, but the work schedule over took my spare time and eventually spare parts were left on my bench. :( . But then after I got over all my work, I started stacking spare time, i want something I used to do. Yes i am still learning and I can do it. Theres a will theres a way. As stated in my above post, Im looking to get a couple books on rocketry to start me off. I have read Richard Nakkas site and book marked it. still lookin at it and still picking at it. :roll:

marksteamnz

Post by marksteamnz » Mon May 07, 2007 9:57 am

This pisses me off!!
If you do the reading, join a rocketry club that does experimental loads, hybrids and follow their procedures you will not hurt yourself. Lots of groups and individuals have fitted rockets, both solid and liquid, to vehicles. Read the sticky!! You MUST understand safety margins, testing or have a very good idea about finite element anaylsis beofre attempting this. Done with testing and understanding the risk is reduced, cobbled together with no knowledge and you are asking to DIE. Read the sticky!!

If you know rocket experimenters that have lost body parts while messing with rockets, they are idiots trying for the Darwin award. That sort of careless, stupid behaviour is NOT ACCEPTABLE!

Read the damm sticky at the top of this forum and you will get links to all sorts of wonder. If peroxide was so bleeding dangerous how come there are at least 5 jet pack manufacturers. Read the sticky!!

OK Once you have bought the books read the links on the sticky, come back and we can talk.
I have not offered any advice on H2O2 concentration so far as nothing I've seen has reassured me anyone has taken any time to study and understand what is required. Look at the http://www.tecaeromex.com/ really look at the concentrator pictures it's all there in plain view and even he's not doing it absolutely perfectly.

Rant mode off

celsius235 wrote:Dear youngrocketkid20, the first of all, the Rocket is more, a lot of more dangerous that Pulse Jets, I have been working with rocket propellants many years, I know the Nakka’s work very well. Forget the Hydrogen Peroxide, to work with HP you need to distiller ( danger ), you need to store in special container Stain lees steal o Pirex but if is not enough clean Boom...... because a little particle can react with the HP.
Maybe to begin you can buy rocket engines selling in the USA this is the best way, but never to add to my bicycle as booster. All solid rocket propellant as considered by the authorities as explosives compounds, why, easy is very explosive. I do not know how all are you, but the rocket engines are very dander and need to read a lot of literature of them. I have known same friends who have lost same hand, finger, eye, ear.... working with rocket propellant. Pulse Jets with or without valves are very safe and enough exciting.
Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz

Zippiot

RCandy

Post by Zippiot » Mon May 07, 2007 5:32 pm

There are many "safe" ways to make and store rocket propellants. Experience teaches best, nothing will tell you its wrong better than losing a finger!
haha I kid...

Candy fuel is probably the safest of all rocket fuels; no explosion medium-slow burn rate, no toxic gasses (unless you use metal oxides as burn rate modifiers) and after a few days its totally unburnable unelss well stored. You can even eat the stuff...though I dont recomend it. If you mix up a bad batch the best way to dispose of it is to throw it in the garden and water it down, yummy food for the plants.

There are many ways to make it, including recrystalizing oven-baking microwave and a few others (oil bath etc).

Casting is still an issue, the stuff hardens in a few seconds once removed from heat.

Peroxide rockets are a tricky thing, 60% h2o2 is fine as long as you NEVER touch it, 99% pure will spontaneously catch fire though...even with particles from the air. That is the inherent instability of mono-propellants, just gotta deal with them.

Hybrid rockets are super easy and very safe but require more machine work and a little know-how. Cheapest way to get to space though!
Sailing Student- How do I know if my life jacket is tight enough?
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

Jim Berquist

Post by Jim Berquist » Mon May 07, 2007 6:01 pm

Potassium Nitrate does bad things with your Pee Pee. Don't eat it if you like your sex life!

Jim

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Mon May 07, 2007 6:18 pm

According to studies from the 1930's prison systems yes...

Actually its used in desensitizing toothepaste and pickling meats, along with many other uses that find its way into your mouth.

But I'd much rather eat potassium nitrate than ammonium perchlorate!! As far as oxidizers goes its as safe as it gets!!!
Sailing Student- How do I know if my life jacket is tight enough?
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

Jim Berquist

Post by Jim Berquist » Mon May 07, 2007 7:15 pm

In basic training in the USAF, they put it in the Mashed Potatoes. After about a week of not eating them, it worked again!

It don't take much.

I use it to make Bacon! Little bits are not bad. Enough and your little self goes to sleep!

If you check out the ingredients in new bacon, it's not there! They use Sodium Nitrate,,,,,,YummmY Funny enough, Wikipedia shows it as inducing hyperactive behavior and as a Carcinogenic!

This link states same as you, but I tell you it put me out of action!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_nitrate

Jim

marksteamnz

Re: RCandy

Post by marksteamnz » Mon May 07, 2007 8:50 pm

Peroxide rockets are a tricky thing, 60% h2o2 is fine as long as you NEVER touch it, 99% pure will spontaneously catch fire though...even with particles from the air. That is the inherent instability of mono-propellants, just gotta deal with them.

The above is 99% WRONG. Buy the book, read the book! rocket grade H2O2 will NOT catch fire, it is an oxidizer. With out a catalyst you can float gasolene on top of propellent grade H2O2 and NOTHING happens. Armadillo aerospace were using a mixed, YES MIXED, blend of 50% H2O2 and methanol in the engines. Read the sentence again THEY MIXED METHANOL AND 50% PEROXIDE and used it as a monopropellant. No one died and they gave up on that developement because it was too hard to kick off reliably. The old history files on the Armadillo site have 100's of pages worth of their research, pictures etc
Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz