whats the best idea for rocket

Moderator: Mike Everman

Zippiot
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Zippiot » Tue May 08, 2007 12:02 am

I was not talking it catches when mixed with a fuel, plain ordinary dirt can catalyze h202. Spill some 90%+ on concrete and watch it burn (never failed me yet).

Actually in a lab experiment we did float diesel on top of 70% h2o2
Sailing Student- How do I know if my life jacket is tight enough?
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

youngrocketkid20

Post by youngrocketkid20 » Wed May 09, 2007 11:57 am

I will not even scratch my head to think of hydrogen peroxide. I know some of that stuff, read it, but not done it. Rather see a reliable fuel such as the candy. I need to buy a hot plate,...which one? I've been running through the links of the sticky and have found some good stuff. I think this weekend might be the best to get some materials. Such as grants stump remover, hot plate, corn syrup, and a pan. I will not mix anything until I got everything for the formulas down and all the fun instructions. I got so much to do this weekend. :?
If you think hard, design it, you can build it!

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Wed May 09, 2007 3:17 pm

Looks like you got the basics, now just to "practise"

Dont do it inside....

I test my formulas on top of bricks over gravel in my backyard, works fine. The stuff does burn hot enough to set fire to grass, and will shatter a clay pot from the sudden heat.

Good Luck!
Sailing Student- How do I know if my life jacket is tight enough?
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

marksteamnz

Post by marksteamnz » Thu May 10, 2007 6:42 am

Zippiot wrote:I was not talking it catches when mixed with a fuel, plain ordinary dirt can catalyze h202. Spill some 90%+ on concrete and watch it burn (never failed me yet).

Actually in a lab experiment we did float diesel on top of 70% h2o2
OK A matter of language and definitions :-)

Spontaneous I took the dictionary definition as just happening by itself and there are chemicals that catch fire or explode just while sitting there. Some of the azides are pretty touchy little molecules. Peroxide does kick off but is does require a catalyst, but as you said not much!
Peroxide makes things burn yes dropped on rags oily or dirty concrete there will be flames but that's not the H2O2 burning as it can't. By itself with a bit of catalyst it's just FOOOF heaps of super heated steam and oxygen, no flame, and why am I sitting on my butt 20 feet away.

Transition metal oxides hehehehehe.
You have to do the work now or buy the book.
Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz

youngrocketkid20

Thanks

Post by youngrocketkid20 » Thu May 10, 2007 7:41 am

I was running around the sites in the sticky. Also knew about cooking it outside. My stepfather said I can use the small burn barrel with a grill on it. Thanks for the replies. All advice is appreciated. I have a question on the actual "caramel" form of RCandy. I know that about the recrystallization, but when it starts to take on a harder form, do you take it out of the pan and roll it like dough and cast it into paper rolls.?
If you think hard, design it, you can build it!

Pyro

Post by Pyro » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:52 am

not sure if anyone still pays attention to old strings but if you dont want the caramel effect you should use sorbitol it dosent carmalise. I have read but im not sure where that sorbitol is manufactured so it cant carmalise. I have used it many times and had no negative effects. I normaly use it as a smoke bomb but also as a propellant just a different ratio. I have got 10 lbs of thrust using a Bates grain seperated with rubber "O" rings in a 1 inch x 6 inch alluminum tube and a custom nozzle made on my lathe.