Is it legal to make sugar rockets in Georgia (US)?

Moderator: Mike Everman

NickC
Antipspambot question: 0

Is it legal to make sugar rockets in Georgia (US)?

Post by NickC » Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:00 pm

I'm 16 and was thinking about finally making a KNSU motor since I'll be getting a lathe soon, but I don't have any kind of rocketry license or anything of that kind. If I make a rocket motor (J-L impulse) will it be illegal?? If it is illegal, I have a friend who is an NRA L3c, which is the highest level of certification you can get and he can certify people and all that, if what I did was under his supervision would that still be illegal?

Ray
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Ray » Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:53 pm

I'm not a lawyer, so I can't speak the legality of making rocket motors.

I do know that KN and Sugar aren't regulated substances...

Mixing them together doesn't appear to make them a regulated substance (the ATF is starting down that path, but not there yet).

Lots of people in the US make KN/Sugar motors without issues.

I would say, DO IT. Start smart and read every word of Nakka's webpage. He is the authority on Sugar motors. He has done much of the research for you. James Yawn has some great techniques, so you would do well to read his stuff too.

Involve your parents, try to find someone who has done this and have fun! Ask lots of questions along the way, but try to learn as much as you can first...then when you are confused, ask us, or others that have experience and you'll get useful answers.

Greg O'Bryant

Post by Greg O'Bryant » Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:24 am

Check out this page.
http://www.rocketryplanet.com/content/view/1062/28/

Also check out this page
http://www.atf.gov/explarson/0504rocketryqa.pdf

It would appear that it isn't illegal but the BATF is going to treat it as if it were. They want you to have a LEUP or keep it under 62.5 grams of propellant per engine. This should make an F sized engine with sugar propellant. So in the sizes you want you would need to get the proper storage and permit. However I don't think you can get one due to your age. The only way around this is if you were some how able to make the engine and use it at the launch site, or just go under 62.5 grams.