Need help with the basics

Moderator: Mike Everman

noob
Antipspambot question: 0

Need help with the basics

Post by noob » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:41 pm

I'm building a rocket for my class, and was looking for help on some of the basic calculations or formulas. Things like the best length for a rocket is 10D where D is diameter obviously. Things with the best area of the wings compaired to what the length or diameter of the rocket is, and relivence of CoP and CoG on the rocket. Thanks in advance.

marksteamnz

Re: Need help with the basics

Post by marksteamnz » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:22 pm

noob wrote:I'm building a rocket for my class, and was looking for help on some of the basic calculations or formulas. Things like the best length for a rocket is 10D where D is diameter obviously. Things with the best area of the wings compaired to what the length or diameter of the rocket is, and relivence of CoP and CoG on the rocket. Thanks in advance.
Read the sticky at the top of this thread, follow the links, read the links.
Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz

Ray

re: Need help with the basics

Post by Ray » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:33 am

In model rocketry, there isn't such a thing as an optimal L/D ratio...I've seen rockets that are very very long for their diameter and rockets that are very, very short for their diameter...in fact, I've flow both.

CG must be at least one body diameter in front of CP, except when it doesn't have to be...

TONS of information in the sticky, read up as Mark suggested. Then go and buy a few estes kits, build them and fly them...there is no teacher like experience.