:twisted:

marksteamnz
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: anyone into hybrids ?

Post by marksteamnz » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:37 am

anguz wrote:laffin-gas.com

:twisted:
Thanks anguz.
I like rocket powered cars and that one's great. They are a bit confused in their history page and who is making hybrids, but over all a fun site.
Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz

NickC

re: anyone into hybrids ?

Post by NickC » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:50 am

mark, what's inside of a hybrid? I understand the concept and all that, but actually machining one. the NOX regulating nozzle is just a disk with a hole in it and two o-ring groves and then you have a burst disk in front of it? or there is like a kind of nipple attachment in there where you attach the nylon tubing? do you use circlips to hold the nozzle in? it seems like it'd be kinda deep.

marksteamnz

Post by marksteamnz » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:19 am

Nick I'm no expert but there is a yahoo group for Hybrids and a lot of developement happening as in the UK it is illegal to mix propellent with out an explosives liscence, so hybrids rule. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hybridrocketmotors/
Join up and read up the links and files
Briefly my understanding from my Hi Power rocketry mags is the plastic fill tube on some motors is burnt thru by the ignitor so the Nitrous is released at the same time as the fuel is being exposed to the ignitor flame.
Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz

NickC

Post by NickC » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:34 am

I got that part, but just wasn't sure how they were executing it. That 44.5mm motor on your site looked like a hybrid. I was just wondering if it was made up of two screw together tubes or something else.

-not even sugar propellant in the UK?

Ray

Post by Ray » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:02 pm

Check out this site. They have instructions on how to build a Hybrid motor of their construction...It should give you a good picture of the way a hybrid motor works.

The system they use is very common in the hybrid world. They call it a U/C valve...can't remember what the letters stand for...I know they are the first letter of the names of the two guys that came up with the idea. Seperately at the same time. I guess they both showed up at a research launch with the same thing...

NickC

Post by NickC » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:39 am

great website!! explained a lot of stuff I was confused on

NickC

Post by NickC » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:50 am

what is the thickness of the nitrous part of the motor? I guess what are the thicknesses of the nitrous tube for the specific OD of it?

marksteamnz

Re: re: anyone into hybrids ?

Post by marksteamnz » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:08 am

NickC wrote:I got that part, but just wasn't sure how they were executing it. That 44.5mm motor on your site looked like a hybrid. I was just wondering if it was made up of two screw together tubes or something else.

-not even sugar propellant in the UK?
From what I've read a definite no to sugar propellent. You have to understand the history of the UK The IRA fighting in Northern Island used all sorts of chemicals to make explosives some of which ended up in the bombing campaign on the UK mainland. One type was even called co-op because you could buy the ingredients at a local store (a cooperatively owned store hence the slang). So the Government are hot on mixing propellent and now with the Tube bombings it's not going to get better. I'm not English but I'm married to an English wife.
I did forget I've also made piercing units for Micro hybrid and they use a plastic disk to seal off the Nitrous. The ignitor melts the disk and starts the burn. The piercing units I made had different size holes compared to standard as the lads thought they were not optimum in the kit
http://qwksite.com/rlmac/rene/microhybrid/tnmh.html
Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz

Ray

Re: re: anyone into hybrids ?

Post by Ray » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:50 pm

NickC wrote:what is the thickness of the nitrous part of the motor? I guess what are the thicknesses of the nitrous tube for the specific OD of it?
I believe the tubing is the same as a composite (solid) motor. The pressures are much the same, somewhat lower. They just make the tubing longer.

From the other post...
29mm - 0.058
38mm - 0.083
54mm - 0.095
75mm - 0.115
98mm - 0.188

Combustion chamber pressure is lower than the tank pressure. I believe that nitrous will self pressurize to around 1200 psi.

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:52 pm

Just a note, UC, Ubanski Colbourn (sp?), the 2 guys who came up with the idea at the same time.
Experience speaks more then hypothesizing ever can. More-so in chemistry.

Ray

Post by Ray » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:13 am

Yep, those are the guys...thanks for the reminder.

NickC

Post by NickC » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:26 am

can you buy those somewhere? or are there any plans?

Ray

Post by Ray » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:45 pm

virtually all of the hybrids on the market except HyperTech use this method.

West Coast Hybrids sells complete motors...

Buy from them, I know the guys. I am even working on some software for their test stand.

NickC

Post by NickC » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:28 pm

If I want to build my own though, where can I find these valves? or fidn plans for them? or what other types can be used?