anyone into hybrids ?

Moderator: Mike Everman

Ray
Antipspambot question: 0

re: anyone into hybrids ?

Post by Ray » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:46 pm

its not really a valve. Its just a bulkhead that has been drilled through, tapped for a pipe fitting and installed in the center of the motor, above the fuel grain.

A fill hose is attached, the motor is filled on the pad, ignitor is fired, fill hose burns through and the nitrous starts to flow into the combustion chamber with the fuel. All hell breaks loose and you have thrust.

Take a look at the assembly instructions from West Coast Hybrids, you should be able to figure out what you want to know from the photos.

If that fails, buy one of them and "reverse engineer" it. They shouldn't cost too much.

NickC

Post by NickC » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:07 pm

not those valves, the ones that purge the nitrous.

Ray

Post by Ray » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:40 am

Sorry, lost track of the conversation

Pratt Hobbies has a full launch control system for hybrids.

GSE for hybrids is expensive...get ready for the sticker shock. They can be built cheaper, I think he even has the requirments on his website.

NickC

Post by NickC » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:47 am

it isn't GSE either, it's connected to the vent hose and the vent hose comes out of the top of the motor and they;re website says DO NOT LAUNCH UNTIL YOU SEE A STEADY STREAM OF LIQUID FLOQING THROUGH THE VENT HOSE

Ray

Post by Ray » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:12 pm

OK, now it seems like you are getting upset.

I am trying to help.

Ask what you mean, you'll get answers you can use. You ask about a purge valve, its common nomenclature around the flight line that this means the solenoid that dumps the tank in the event of a misfire. Its part of the GSE.

The vent hose is required by the DOT. You can't have a pressurized tank in a commercial environment (ie selling hybrid motors) without their approval, the tanks must be certified.

The makers get around this by placing a vent in the upper bulkehead. It prevents the arrangment from being a sealed tank and gets rid of the requirement for certification. There is no valve on it, it is just a hole in the top bulkhead that allows the gaseous Nitrous to escape during the fill. It also allows you to see when the tank is full because it will have liquid nitrous coming out of it.

Most people put a small tube on the vent and run it to the outside of the rocket so they can see it. The bulkhead is tapped for pipe threads and a small compression nut and ferrel (sp??) is used to attach the vent tube.

Is this the answer you were looking for?

I'm not a hybrid expert, but I am familiar with the motors. I do solids...ask me questions about them.

NickC

Post by NickC » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:54 pm

I wasn't up upset. the capitalization was supposed to be how WC Hybrids had stated it. the "it isn't GSE either" was more like me trying to figure it out not like being some kind of arrogant remark.

How does the hybrid work then? if it isn't pressurized? or is there just enough pressure there for it to still be able to dump a little nitrous out of the vent while still being able to flow it through the fuel grain?

Ray

Post by Ray » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:00 pm

The vent hole is very small, the injector inside the combustion chamber is larger. You fill until the nitrous tank is full of liquid. The small vent at the top will vent gas until the tank is full.

Nitrous self pressurizes, the gas at the top will push the liquid nitrous into the combustion chamber, it'll flash to gas and provide the oxidizer for the fuel.

Of course, the pressure at the vent and the pressure at the combustion chamber will be the same (the combustion chamber will have back pressure), but liquid goes into the chamber, while gas out the vent.

Make any sense at all, I don't think I explained it very well.