Freon type gas rocket

Moderator: Mike Everman

Jim Berquist
Antipspambot question: 0

Freon type gas rocket

Post by Jim Berquist » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:41 pm

Back when I was a kid, they sold a little rocket you charged with some sort of freon type gas. I think it was sold under the name " ZOOM ROCKET"

Is anyone out there doing something like that??????

Jim
WHAT TO FRAP, IT WORKED![url=callto://james.a.berquist]Image[/url]

Mark

re: Freon type gas rocket

Post by Mark » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:29 am

Here's a way to launch them from a car. ha
Mark
http://tinyurl.com/n674t
A schematic of a freon rocket.
http://home.att.net/~cruller1/Vashty.jpg
http://home.att.net/~cruller1/Vashon.story11.24.00.HTM
Seems like a propane rocket would be fun, you could have a realistic rocket flame. ha again

"IMPORTANT NOTICE: Within the last year or two, the formulation of Walmart's air brush propellant has changed from inert ingredients, to a mixture that contains flammable components (propane I believe)!!!! Please do not use this new flammable propellant, as the result could be extremely dangerous for you and your rocket associates. Always check the label of the propellant you are considering using and stay away from those with flammable components."
Presentation is Everything

Jim Berquist

Post by Jim Berquist » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:20 am

Yep! looks like a later version of what I had. Mine was tumble recovery and not as complicated. Same Idea though........

Jim

Jim Berquist

Post by Jim Berquist » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:11 am

Mark! Do You Have one?

Mine was more like a Bic Lighter. It had the same filler valve. The same clear plastic case to see when it was full. It could do any thing from 150 ft to 250 depended on the heat of the day!!!

I can buy 3M dust off that contains ( 1,1, difluoroethane ) Not like freon!! No Zip! Just about cleans my key board!!! There has to be a way to launch a cold propellant Rocket!.......

Here You Go! Propane tank say about 3-5 lbs...1" ball valve...to Nossel of 2"...Flame holder and post launch ignition system...say 20 m-seconds or so...about 20 ft. I don't want to scorch my house!!!That should be impressive!!! Add some are injected 02 , Say about 20 % and things could get real HOT! Should show about 4-6 ft flames.... NOT!!!! I would most likely end up waring a 3-5 lb Helmet!!!!!!!Ahhh it may not go boom until the internal pressure reaches equilibrium........Haaa .. far far far away from me........should had thought of this before the 4th of july!!!

Jim

Some how I don't think the local COPS would much like that!!!!

Jim Berquist

Post by Jim Berquist » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:35 am

Hay! I get these soldering iron tips at work . They come in this little plastic tube! If You Port them at the bottom and fill with 3M- air they zoom most well! Want a few???? I got at least 100Ft from the last one. Like you said inject via tube from the can " They are about 1/4 inch in diameter and 5-6 " in long....I placed three fins on it and it zoomed a lot better!

If you want to mess with them just say so!! I have about 5 a week! I just drilled a 3/32 hole in the cap. Super Glued it in place and charged it with the 3-M air. My 6 year old thinks it BOSS!! I will send you ten just to hear what you do!!! Cost NOT!!!

It's so mellow even contact cement worked!!!

Jim

Jim Berquist

Post by Jim Berquist » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:06 am

What about R-500? Is it a NO! NO! ????? MSDS states for disposal Vent container and dispose of...

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:19 am

Thanks, Mark. That Vashon story was great.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Jim Berquist

R-500

Post by Jim Berquist » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:37 am

Google R-500 and check out the first Post. I tried to post as attacment but was unsucceful....Jim