What was it and will it work?

Moderator: Mike Everman

Zippiot
Antipspambot question: 0

What was it and will it work?

Post by Zippiot » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:51 am

I was in mexico at a hardware store and noticed a 10 gallon bucket with a 5.1 oxidizer warning label on it. There were 2 varieties 2 different chemicals, but everything was in spanish and very hard to decipher...

One was a 90% chlorine donor, the other was between 50 and 70...

One was some kind of pool cleaner and the other was 3 inch tablets of something, I know it doesnt help much but my spanish and memory both suck.

If this is avaible in america does anyone know of it working? It seems like a pretty available in-expensive alternative and worth a try, just for kicks.

If my memory serves it was a very long chemical name...many di's tri's and such...
Sailing Student- How do I know if my life jacket is tight enough?
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

Jim Berquist

re: What was it and will it work?

Post by Jim Berquist » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:16 am

Pool Shock! Chlorine based pool shock. Do not allow any form of acid to contact or EVEL things will happen! Next best liking is Mustard Gas! Chlorine Gas is no Joke!!l It can cause dry land drowning!. Heart failure. Loss off eye site. Burned skin....Not to mention Chlorine Poisoning! This product carries OX. The Chlorine fills the red blood cells where Oxygen should be. You turn blue and DIE!!!!

K-Mart sells the same.

This is a Military thing , Don't Go There!!!!!!!!!

NOT a safe or viable Oxidizer!!! OK?

Jim
Last edited by Jim Berquist on Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
WHAT TO FRAP, IT WORKED![url=callto://james.a.berquist]Image[/url]

El-Kablooey

Post by El-Kablooey » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:50 am

The only possibility I can think of is H2O2. It is commonly used for pool treatments nowadays, as a less harsh alternative to sodium hypochlorite.
For pool treatments it generally comes in a 30% concentration.

Jim Berquist

Post by Jim Berquist » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:06 am

Yea! But Zip stated chlorine!!!! H202 is more like a peroxide Lot safer and user friendly!...You can cook it to make a Oxidizer! Yea No Chlorine please.......

Jim

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:52 am

It said chlorine donor, and when I googled some stuff it says that pool oxidizers release chlorine into the water to kill off bacteria. But I donnot know if it was the same, the name of the chemical was so long and I have never heard of anything like it being used I wasn't about to try it without know exactly what it was...

To be fair, pvc pipe is a chlorine donor...(in composite rocket fuel at least)
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

Jim Berquist

Post by Jim Berquist » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:50 pm

Zip!

I just don't know Zip!!!! !More info required! What you described sounded like Chlorinated pool Shock to me. As I'm no chemist , I know that Chlorine is classed as a oxidizer on a MSDS. Yet it can and will deprive the human body of Oxygen! I know that many housewifes are dead because they mixed it with some form of acid?

I have never seen or hear of H202 coming in solid form!

I think on this one I will fall back on a old saying! WHEN IN DOUGHT DON'T!!!!!!!

Dang911 is a chemist! Do You Know Any Thing About This?????

Jim
Last edited by Jim Berquist on Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:55 pm

Oxidizer, in the sense of organic chemistry, means a very different thing than it does in rocketry. Seeing as how I got a C on the O-Chem test conatining redox reactions lemme try this:
Oxidizer gives electrons
Reductioner (is that a word?) gives protons
seeing as chlorine gives electrons that would make it an oxidizer

Just wanted to know if the stuff would work, evidence points to NO so I'll stay away :)
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

Jim Berquist

Post by Jim Berquist » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:28 am

Again no Chemist! Reduction implies taking something away..I never took chem in high school! My Portay was electronics's and Earth Science. My only understanding of chemistry is you take away the things you don't want by balancing them out in another form. Or you Added some thing that would give you what you wanted. I can just about read the periodic table. Redox and Reaction....

I want reaction! I want ZOOM!

Jim

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:43 am

Well for a big zoom.....Dunno what to say that would get me yelled at ;)

Redox was simplified as
oxidation- adding oxygen
reduction- adding hydrogen

Hydrogen was the proton I spoke of, and oxygen adds a[n] electron[s]

I really still dont get it, but thats off topic.

So stay away from all oxidizers cept for the 5 known to work (potassium nitrate sodium nitrate ammonium nitrate potassium perchlorate ammonium perchlorate, I know there are many more but these seem to be the most used)
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

Greg O'Bryant

Post by Greg O'Bryant » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:05 am

Zipiot;

I am sorry but you have it all wrong with oxidizers and reducers. Don't think of protons at all, it gets too confusing. Simply put, an oxidizer takes electrons and reducers gives them up. Just think of the element oxygen (it is all in the word) oxygen will pretty much always take electrons from other elements that it reacts with, hence the name oxidizer. In O chem pretty much all of the reduction reactions involve what looks like adding a proton (like hydrogenating a double bond) so I can see how it may get confusing. You need to think of oxidizers and reducers with regards to electrons being transferred because some times there isn't a proton to give. For example zinc is a good reducer but it is not going to give up protons. I hope this helps.