Splenda...

Moderator: Mike Everman

Zippiot
Antipspambot question: 0

Splenda...

Post by Zippiot » Tue May 30, 2006 6:01 pm

I grabbed 50 packets of splenda from a cafe as it attracted my eye. My personal tastes says it tastes like crap, but the mad scientist in me wants to make it burn!!

0 calories, sounds it wont burn well/at all.

The ingredients are dextrose maltodextrin and sucralose, in that order. Ill get on it this afternoon, does anyone know if it is worth a try? Any artificial sweeteners have more calories than sugar?
Sailing Student- How do I know if my life jacket is tight enough?
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

Zippiot
Antipspambot question: 0

re: Splenda...

Post by Zippiot » Tue May 30, 2006 6:51 pm

OH MY GOD IT WORKS!!!!

I immediately noticed pluses and minuses compared to regular sugar rocket fuel.

And now that we have a digital video camera, I might have a video up by tonight!!

+splenda seems to melt at a temp of 250 degrees, nearly 100 degrees lower than the sugar based fuels I had made before
+splenda stays gooey and moldable much longer than sugar, and at a lower temp so it can be handled
-while a strand burn showed no residue, a cup burn and a covered (aluminum foil) burn showed that it leaves behind much black soot.

Also, it seems to light a split second faster than sugar based propellant.

Now to go to the store and buy a bag of the stuff. I choose to do this simply because Splenda Brand Sweetener melts at a much lower temp than sugar based formulations, this can prove valuable in larger batches as the cook time is drastically reduced.
Sailing Student- How do I know if my life jacket is tight enough?
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!