question about Potassium Nitrate, Help Please!!

Moderator: Mike Everman

HC
Antipspambot question: 0

question about Potassium Nitrate, Help Please!!

Post by HC » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:15 am

hello All,

I am new in this forum, I live in El Salvador and recently found this great forum!
I am a Amateur making rockets, just make a few ( very Primitive) impulsed with Black Powder , that works fine but now after visited the Mr. Nakka website, I want to improve the performance using other materials, and the potassium nitrate-sucrose propellant looks a great option and give me the chance to reduce my cost's and risk ( black powder is expensive here and can blow my home :cry: )
I was looking for the potassium nitrate but I cant find here as a fertilizer.
I was looking for 10-0-45 fertilizer but I only find 10-30-20, 15-15-15 between others. I tryed to get potassium nitrate in local pharmacies but they look me like a " rare guy " and they began to do questions to me about so for what reason I want this material. I tryed to find sorbitol without success too

I would like to know if there is any of this other fertilizers could work or I need exactly the 10-0-45 fertilizer?, or if I can find potassium nitrate in any other presentation or in the worst case if I can use any other material instead potassium nitrate ?
By the way, there is another name for sorbitol? or another product that hev this ingredient?

I very apreciatte any help because all that I know for now is the info that I read in Mr. Nakka website

Thanks in advance!!

Humberto

Zippiot

re: question about Potassium Nitrate, Help Please!!

Post by Zippiot » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:35 am

I asked the same question a while back and it changed my life!!!

Look for grants stump remover, it is 6 dollars a pound in the us, a little more expensive that fertilizer but it is a very high grade (like 98%)

Here are two other brands, I use grants because it is commonly available. It is in a little white jar with a red cap and red labels, just ask for stump remover if you get funny looks (say it is a small stump if they do ask)
Attachments
KNO3.jpg
KNO3.jpg (13.66 KiB) Viewed 8838 times
Sailing Student- How do I know if my life jacket is tight enough?
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:43 am

Oh yeah, don't do any of this until you have pretty much read all of nakka's site!!
While it is relatively safe considering it is rocket fuel you must be careful as if it goes off it goes off!!!

Burns relatively slow out of the stmosphere, I recomend while you play with the ratios dotn pack rockets. I make "lollipops" where I pack a ball of it onto the end of a bamboo skewer and light it, you should be fine and such.

I say it is safe b/c ir burns slowly out of the closed environment and the only biproducts are fertilizer and food (sugar doesn't really harm plants, and you can eat the stuff in tiny amounts but your tounge goes numb so be careful. Like if you gotta eat it to provce to the cops its not explosives)

The reatio I use is between 4-5 scoops kno3 to 3 scoops sugar, but you should weight out the products at first. I use the scoop method b/c they grab water as time goes on making the weight unreliable.
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

HC

Re: re: question about Potassium Nitrate, Help Please!!

Post by HC » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:07 am

hello Zippiot,

thank you very much for your help and advices!! very apreciatted.

Unfortunately I have had not luck so far, I cant find a 14-0-45 fertilizer or Stump remover, in all the stores that I visited told me the same, " is out of stock"

Do you know if any other chemical could work insted Potassium Nitrate mixed with Sucrose ?? I found a plenty of other fertilizers with other chemical materials with Nitrogen, Urea ( that have nitrogen), potassium oxide, magnessium oxide just to mention a few. I dont have any idea if any of this other chemical materials could work or dont so any advice will be very apreciatted.

I will look in more farm supply stores next week, maybe I have more luck!!

Thanks again,

HC

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:49 am

Barium nitrate (It can be found locally but I cannot remember in what product...)
Ammonia nitrate is also a fertilizer, but once again I donnot know the name of the fertilizer.
Ammonia nitrate is better than potassium nitrate. But When mixed with certain compounds ammonia nitrate tends to explode more than potassium nitrate. I would recomend starting with kno3 if you can find it...

You are not looking for an oxide, very few oxides work in rocket fuel or as oxidizers. Nitrates chlorate perchlorates are the most commonly used as oxidizers in rocket fuels.
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

HC

Re: re: question about Potassium Nitrate, Help Please!!

Post by HC » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:19 pm

Thanks again Zippiot for your help!

I will try to find Kno3, I hope to have better luck next week.

bob000555

Post by bob000555 » Sun May 07, 2006 9:47 pm

Dang911

Post by Dang911 » Sun May 07, 2006 9:49 pm

there prices suck.....
Louder is ALWAYS Better!!!