Colored fire and other experiments questions...

Moderator: Mike Everman

bob000555
Antipspambot question: 0

re: Colored fire and other experiments questions...

Post by bob000555 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:55 am

A very nice mix is 60% Cu(NO3)2 35% sulfur and 5% magnesium powder. I gives a very bright blue flame and lots of nitrogen and nitrogen oxides, and sulfur dioxide/trioxide for propulsion.(not be VERRY careful to keep this in an airtight container, it can spontaneously ignite when wet)
i know i cant spell well...you dont need to tell me

NickC

Post by NickC » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:19 am

if you use Al or Mg make sure to add 1% boric acid to the mixture. Just get chemicals from United Nuclear or Firefox.

Drain cleaner is Sodium Hydroxide or Potassium Hydroxide. Sodium and Potassium are very easily interchangeable due to similar valences and electronegativity, but I think the Sodium mixtures are usually more reactive. others examples: Sodium Chloride and Potassium Chloride; Sodium Nitrate and Potassium Nitrate, and there are a lot of others.

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:31 pm

Zippiot, For christs sakes, do not make me lock this thread. I do not want to see any more posts till you can assure me of your at least basic chemical proficeincy.

Fume Cupboards usually only sound alarm when the toxic compounds building up inside are beginning to exceed what the extractor fan can get rid of. It's a fume cupboard for a reason, and what takes place in a FC usually takes place there for a good reason...

I mean no offence or anything, but are you stupid as hell? Breathing in (what you should have thought were) conc. H2SO4 fumes?

Christ...
Experience speaks more then hypothesizing ever can. More-so in chemistry.

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:52 pm

I haven't even checked this in a long time...sorry if it got out of hand

Haven't made any rockets in a while either, been working with my welder to make some new ramjets.
Sailing Student- How do I know if my life jacket is tight enough?
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:39 pm

Yes I am dumb, until I finish schooling I will continue to be dumb or at least dumber than most. In school for a reason, to learn how to not be dumb, so I wont make any more mistakes!

Looking back at many of my old posts I see I am a retard at times, but hindsight is always 20/20. I have been much more careful in recent projects, I think I am getting better :)

Only wanted colored fire for some night launches, was also looking at how to make a little strobe pot to help track the rocket. But it proved too inconsistant and difficult to make colored fire or its components so I gave up. It was just a little dream, not too depressing when I came to realize it was beyond my expertice.

Materials were hard to come by so I dropped the project.

You can close this topic...I see others are making formulas that ignite with water, that can't be safe!
My last post in this topic was May 8th...quite a while for me to change my ways
Sailing Student- How do I know if my life jacket is tight enough?
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:41 pm

There's nothing wrong with something that ignites with water, measures can easily be taken to prevent contact between the mixture and moisture.

My main concern is that any laboratory in the world would have burst a blood vessel had they seen you using your nose to check what white vapours could have been coming from /any/ reaction. Chemistry is a topic that requires just a little common sense. The brains come in later on for more complex things, common sense will stop you dying at least.

Closed.
Experience speaks more then hypothesizing ever can. More-so in chemistry.