tiny rockets

Moderator: Mike Everman

Zippiot
Antipspambot question: 0

tiny rockets

Post by Zippiot » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:23 am

entirely made of paper, hot glued together. body tube is the size of a battery. the motor is sum rcandy rolled up in aluminum foil, and launched from a skewer stuck straight in the ground.

great fun, very cool lookin. so far they only go about 30 feet, ima make a bigger one which can hold more fuel.

problem is, the glue. hot glue wasnt the greatest idea lookign bak on it, after the first launch the entire thing fell apart. i got it to stay together for another 3 launches, but im missing a fin and the nose cone is ruined.

so easy to make and much fun to launch, wud be a great competition see who can get theirs to go the highest.

i shall start, my rocket is 3.5 inches tall and goes 30 feet. beat that (all rockets must be under 6 inches)

pics soon

here is a link to where i got the idea, looselybased on wut i actually saw though
http://www.jamesyawn.com/tubes/index.htm
Sailing Student- How do I know if my life jacket is tight enough?
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

MJD

re: tiny rockets

Post by MJD » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:03 pm

The smallest rockets I have seen and/or made are 1/8" aluminum K&S tubing, 3-4" long, crimped closed at top, and with a length of Thermalite fuse running up the core. Paper fins. They fly a good distance/height, I am sure they make 30 feet or better. Thermalite, like other fuses, burns very rapidly when "piped" thus makes usable thrust.

For reference, 6" long rockets powered by FAI competition B class 10mm BP motors (10x75mm B2-8) can hit 700m altitude.

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:14 pm

i got a few of those small rockets from estes, they use an engine about the size of a battery and go way up. but those are actuall rocket motors, mine is jsut rcandy rolled up in aluminum foil. still fun though, like a giant flaming bottle rocket that leaves a choking smoke trail behind it.

upon further review i see that my new nose cone brings the total length up to 4.25 inches. i must make a better engine if i want to get any higher. the pics r on my phone all i gotta do is dl them, but the software is on my dads laptop and he wotn let me use it at the moment.
Sailing Student- How do I know if my life jacket is tight enough?
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

MJD

Post by MJD » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:51 pm

Yeah, I know they are commercial, I was quoting that as a goal of sorts.