how do i build a simple liquid or solid fuel rocket engine

Moderator: Mike Everman

steve
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: re: how do i build a simple liquid or solid fuel rocket

Post by steve » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:16 pm

MJD wrote:That's a pretty high expansion ratio. What propellant and operating pressure is it designed for?
the expansion ratio is high because I am not too concerned with thrust at this point, but I would like to see some mach diamonds! It looks like I will be using KNO3 +sugar. as for operating pressure, I have no idea. If it runs, I'll be happy.

anyway here is the completed engine:
the big one took about 7 hours to machine, the smaller one took 3
Attachments
rockets.JPG
rockets.JPG (40.48 KiB) Viewed 15062 times

driveit

re: how do i build a simple liquid or solid fuel rocket engi

Post by driveit » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:41 pm

mix
SALTPETER..................113.2 GRAMS
SUGAR.......................48.5 GRAMS
SULFUR......................18.0 GRAMS
in a margerin container, break up the lumps and shake for 3 minutes its done and ready to be loaded

WOULD THIS WORK!!!!

paul skinner

Post by paul skinner » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:29 pm

driveit wrote:mix
SALTPETER..................113.2 GRAMS
SUGAR.......................48.5 GRAMS
SULFUR......................18.0 GRAMS
in a margerin container, break up the lumps and shake for 3 minutes its done and ready to be loaded

WOULD THIS WORK!!!!
It would go "poof" but you need to compact it to extract any sort of impulse, hence why most people use a ball mill and the candy route.

driveit

Post by driveit » Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:17 am

i kno it would go poof but if i compacted it and put a nozzle with blah blah blah would it make thrust?

paul skinner

Post by paul skinner » Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:49 pm

driveit wrote:i kno it would go poof but if i compacted it and put a nozzle with blah blah blah would it make thrust?
Hmmm.

Let me put this another way.

Ever put a small amount of homemade (uncorned) gunpowder on a flat surface, and then stick a lit match into it.

Same effect.

Thrust only comes when you confine the material, and give it a small opening to escape.

Just read the Nakka site. It'll give you good insight on how to construct a decent engine without blowing your fingers off.

//short answer. No. Putting the mixture you mentioned in a tube, even compacted, and adding a nozzle will do shit for thrust.

steve

Post by steve » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:42 pm

steve wrote:
MJD wrote:That's a pretty high expansion ratio. What propellant and operating pressure is it designed for?
the expansion ratio is high because I am not too concerned with thrust at this point, but I would like to see some mach diamonds! It looks like I will be using KNO3 +sugar. as for operating pressure, I have no idea. If it runs, I'll be happy.

anyway here is the completed engine:
the big one took about 7 hours to machine, the smaller one took 3

I've changed my mind. I'm going to make a new nozzle out of graphite with a 7:1 expansion ratio. the large steel nozzle had a 16:1 ratio. I figure if I'm going to do this, I might as well do it the right way!

driveit

Post by driveit » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:52 pm

k now how do i make the "RCANDY" you have to heat up.... can you heat it over a candle or a fire? need as much info as possibale

El-Kablooey

Post by El-Kablooey » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:30 pm

driveit wrote:can you heat it over a candle or a fire?

LOL!
On an endless quest in search of a better way.

driveit

Post by driveit » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:29 am

Need info... stat lol

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:06 pm

Ok.
Driveit, you really need to understand that it is actually possible to use your own brain to find answers. The ever-popular search engine, Google, yields many results when used in conjunction with the search terms we have already provided you. I found out by looking, so can you.

Oh, and it's a rocket propellant. Do you really think it wise to add fire into the preperation stages? Come on...
Experience speaks more then hypothesizing ever can. More-so in chemistry.

driveit

Post by driveit » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:26 pm

hey tom I HAVE NEVER MADE ONE BEFORE im just eliminating any questions or problems i might ecounter so BACK OFF ALLRIGHT!

Dang911

Post by Dang911 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:43 pm

DUDE, I'm sorry but in about 6 seconds and Google, you can find a detailed "how to" answer to your questions. I am your age and I have had no problems getting answerers and creating great discussions.

I don't doubt that you have searched, I think what you have found, is just not the answer you are looking for.....So now you go about posting up this topic, trying to convince people to agree with what you have proposed. You will only be satisfied when people say "yes your are, right that will work".

Maybe if you were to approach this at a different angle, for example:

I have been reading on some web sites, and they told me to do XXXXXXXXXXX. I am a little bit confused though (explain why)....... Can I do XXXXXXXXX or not?

I bet if you were to just follow those guide lines, you posts will get answered, and you will be a little bit more respected.

Curtsey also goes a long way, being all demanding, and rude, isn't going to get you jack shit here. Make friends not enemy, NUFF SAID!?!?!?!?

EDIT:

I have provided you now with the information. I am doing you a huge FAVOR and I expect in return that you will change your whole attitude toward how things work on these forums. DON'T MAKE ME LOOK BAD, BY BEING AN ASS anymore on the forum!!! With that said I hope this PDF contains all the information you are looking for, I know it helped me get started.....

http://www.aeroconsystems.com/motors/su ... oposal.pdf

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:17 am

Driveit.
I didn't expect that you had built an engine before, but it is nothing more then common sense. If you don't even know that the chemicals you are using are meant to burn, you seriously need to read up on the topic before you even /think/ of attempting to build an engine. I'm not trying to get on your case as such, rather get you to take notice of the fact that you are playing with fire, and unless you know what you are doing, you will get seriously hurt.
Experience speaks more then hypothesizing ever can. More-so in chemistry.

driveit

Post by driveit » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:26 pm

well im sorry that that i made a huge deal out of it plus ive already looked at the site by jimmyyawn and a number of others and i was joking with the "Need info... stat lol" there is a LOL there, i im not trying to be rude and i know that this thing could blow up in my face thats why im askin you guy for help i have looked at almost every site i could and i have a lot of info on the kno3/sugar and sulfer mixes. i just want opinions and/or advice. Oh also at school i also have access to metal lathes and, drill presses cnc routers (not that much use out of them)all that stuffand welders and my appolagies driveit.

marksteamnz

Post by marksteamnz » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:28 pm

[quote="driveit"]
ive already looked at the site by jimmyyawn and a number of others

Excellent, now READ THEM COMPLETELY especially Richard Nakka's, and your questions will be answered. This will take several days of intensive study.
After you have done that you are welcome to return and ask questions and maybe the forum members can help.
Until you have read the sites COMPLETELY, please go away.
Last edited by marksteamnz on Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz