CO2 powerlet engine

Moderator: Mike Everman

Tom
Antipspambot question: 0

re: CO2 powerlet engine

Post by Tom » Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:09 pm

I Seriously doubt you will acheive combustion. The pressures of both those tanks (Whipped cream and Butane) will be far to low to achieve proper combustion methinks. There is a system I have seen on Areocon systems, where they built basically what you have designed, but it was regenitively cooled. However, the fuel and oxidiser lines into this little thing were much larger then you'd think.
Experience speaks more then hypothesizing ever can. More-so in chemistry.

El-Kablooey

Post by El-Kablooey » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:30 am

FYI: NOS can be bought in CO2 sized cartridges, they are used to pressurize whipped cream dispensers, and also for high school kids to get a buzz on. They can be purchased here at the local headshop under the name "whippets" a 12 pack of cartridges is $20 or so, and they even have little "crackers" that hold the cartridge, and puncture the seal to make it easy to fill a balloon.
On an endless quest in search of a better way.

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:24 pm

I wonder how far a little N20 cartridge would zing just on its own pressure. I once had one in a vise with a fold of thin sheet rubber to keep the cartridge from being marred. Then I punctured the cartridge with a whipped cream canister which was missing the device that holds the cartridge and screws it into the puncture pin. It was easy enough to pressurize the canister by hold the canister and forcing the pin into the cartridge as long as I kept it aligned.
But on this one time I didn't tighten the vise enough and the little cartridge escaped and took off, finally spinning wildly on the floor to a frosty end.
Mark
Presentation is Everything

El-Kablooey

Post by El-Kablooey » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:10 pm

I think a model rocket using asphalt fuel and N2O cartridges would be very cool. Maybe a space shuttle model with the big liquid rocket packed with asphalt and 2 "whippet" cartridges disguised as the 2 solid fuel booster rockets.

El-Kablooey

Post by El-Kablooey » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:36 am

no kidding? With the "whippet" mini NO2 cartridges even? Cool. I will have to investigate their ignition and NO2 valving.

Mark

Post by Mark » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:21 am

Mark

Post by Mark » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:04 pm

Some N20 backgrounder stuff.
Mark
http://mattson.creighton.edu/N2O/

El-Kablooey

Post by El-Kablooey » Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:24 pm

I think I can do better than burst disks and 1sec total impulse... I'm thinking RC valving.. I'm sure I could make a static model, not so positive about flightweight.. I know I could do better than $85.00!!!!!!!! Boy they sure are proud of that "screamer", seeing as how it is only about $5 worth of stuff

Jim Berquist

Post by Jim Berquist » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:30 am

I seen a add in a cataloge .....Oh ....for a little torch thing ....in Mcnally or some that had a little torch that used propain and NOS....

There only about 1 or 3 gram bottles....

MicMasters......Was the Place....

Like I said Small bottles only about a2-3 grams I had the same tourch and it was per ox .....I don''t know what NOS will do!!!
WHAT TO FRAP, IT WORKED![url=callto://james.a.berquist]Image[/url]