Plasma Rocket Engine

Moderator: Mike Everman

Tom
Antipspambot question: 0

re: Plasma Rocket Engine

Post by Tom » Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:00 pm

Don't get me wrong. Seriously.... but are you researching these ideas before you post them? Just...

Tom
Experience speaks more then hypothesizing ever can. More-so in chemistry.

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: Plasma Rocket Engine

Post by Viv » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:22 am

[quote="superhornet59"]Hi all, has anyone ever made a plasma rocket engine? im planning on making one, but im not sure if its worth it. i figured i could double its power by pumping oxygen and hydrogen into a chamber, then turning it into a plasma and using neodymium magnets to throw it out a nozzle. could it work?[/quote]

Were will you get the electricity from for the basic plasma rocket?

Look at how much is needed for say about 20 Lbs of thrust (be suprised)

Look at the energy release from the oxcy/hydro rocket. (be suprised how big)

work out how much oxcy/hydro energy is needed to double the plasma rocket output (be suprised how little)

Look at how much power is needed for the plasma rocket in the first place.

Think about forgetting the plasma bit of the idea.

Magnetic fields? look at the pattern of a bar magnet, think about what happens to your ionised stream of gas.

Viv

Mark

Post by Mark » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:25 am

Look at the cost.
Mark
Presentation is Everything

Al Belli

Post by Al Belli » Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:11 am

Hi,

Some notes from tharratt on electric pulsejet.

Look at the power levels involved !!!!

Al Belli
Attachments
tpd2.png
(66.77 KiB) Downloaded 482 times

mk

Post by mk » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:34 pm

Well, may I doubt that a fuel vaporization coil would stop the plasma from melting the combustion chamber wall once contact has been fulfilled or a critical distance has been reached?
mk

hagent

Post by hagent » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:07 am

If your going to build a plasma rocket, you might as well use heavy hydrogen as a fuel and no oxygen.

Sorry I couldn't resist....

You could look up Townsend Brown and try out his idea/concept for a rocket. It might actually yield some results and you just might be able to build one. Townsend had the idea of charging the hot gases out of the rocket nozzel with negitive electrons. he would then charge the front of the space ship / plane / missle with a positive charge. He was responsible for the disovery of the Biefield Brown effect - where as a highly charged capacitor moves towards it's positive pole - even in a vaccum.

Good luck,

Hagen
Hagen Tannberg

Eric

Post by Eric » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:23 am

Heavy hydrogen? Come on really......

You soooo totally need some tritium in there otherwise the deuterium is just gonna wallow around and not fuse together.

Oh yea and make sure you line the chamber with lithium so that it will generate lithium deteuride and then you will have a self fueling engine, well except for the tritium of course, but if you are really good you can make that too.

This stuff is so easy, I wonder why all those multi billion dollar aerospace corporations arent using it, and why nasa isnt flying plasma rockets. It just baffles me.

Eric

Talking like a pirate does not qualify as experience, this should be common sense, as pirates have little real life experience in anything other than smelling bad, and contracting venereal diseases

Hank

Re: re: Plasma Rocket Engine

Post by Hank » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:02 pm

superhornet59 wrote:you know, the plasma rocket engine is already an existing idea, but i dont think anyone has made one yet. other then the fact that plasma is obviously very hot, what can be some problems?. one of the ones i noticed was that due to the sudden expansion of plasma, its going to want to hit the walls of the combustion chamber, which obviously will melt it. i doubt a magnet can stop it, so what if the fuel injector was actualy all around the combustion chamber, the gas entering the combustion chamber could stop it from doing that. what other obstacles are there? Thanks -Matt.
Damn, Sonny- Rarely do I get heated on this forum. There is one vexed confederate sitting at this keybord at this moment.

Take a look at my post of today in the rocket forum.....and get some information in that head of yours before you go flapping your fingers.

Al, Hello- Can you send me complete article Tharrat wrote regarding use of electricity to heat gasses. It won't print well for me.
Gulfrose@Juno.com

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Viv » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:57 pm

Hank wrote:
superhornet59 wrote:you know, the plasma rocket engine is already an existing idea, but i dont think anyone has made one yet. other then the fact that plasma is obviously very hot, what can be some problems?. one of the ones i noticed was that due to the sudden expansion of plasma, its going to want to hit the walls of the combustion chamber, which obviously will melt it. i doubt a magnet can stop it, so what if the fuel injector was actualy all around the combustion chamber, the gas entering the combustion chamber could stop it from doing that. what other obstacles are there? Thanks -Matt.
Damn, Sonny- Rarely do I get heated on this forum. There is one vexed confederate sitting at this keybord at this moment.

Take a look at my post of today in the rocket forum.....and get some information in that head of yours before you go flapping your fingers.

Al, Hello- Can you send me complete article Tharrat wrote regarding use of electricity to heat gasses. It won't print well for me.
Gulfrose@Juno.com
"Confederate"? sorry I am from England Hank is that some kind of liberal or democrate thing;-)

Viv

Hank

Post by Hank » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:10 am

Hello, Viv- In answer to your question I'd have to answer, "None of the Above."

Here's a view of the past regarding us on your end:

www.csa-dixie.com/liverpool_dixie/

You'll have to wait for further developments, I've 140 years of patience to fall back on.

Regards, Hank

El-Kablooey

Post by El-Kablooey » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:19 pm

Eric wrote:Heavy hydrogen? Come on really......

You soooo totally need some tritium in there otherwise the deuterium is just gonna wallow around and not fuse together.

Oh yea and make sure you line the chamber with lithium so that it will generate lithium deteuride and then you will have a self fueling engine, well except for the tritium of course, but if you are really good you can make that too.

Eric

Eric is right! I know because I saw this done on an episode of "Jimmy Neutron" the other day.
On an endless quest in search of a better way.