SS67B-3

Moderator: Mike Everman

Tom
Antipspambot question: 0

re: SS67B-3

Post by Tom » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:32 pm

I'm pretty sure Paul built and fired one before selling it on, You'd be best to ask him.

Tom
Experience speaks more then hypothesizing ever can. More-so in chemistry.

paul skinner

Re: SS67B-3

Post by paul skinner » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:32 pm

superhornet59 wrote:does anyone have any experince with the SS67B-3 enging from systeme solaire?
Thanks Tom.

Sure. I put one together in the late 90's. I purchased my plans (SS67B-1) directly from System Solaire. Nice system. Moderate thrust (about 70lbs), good height. Easy to obtain parts. Harder to obtain the KMn04 (catalyst) and the 50% Hydrogen Peroxide now though. And quite expensive.

What do you need to know?

paul skinner

Post by paul skinner » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:47 am

:0

Works for me Mark. I just wish we could buy it here like that. It's been harder to find. I used to buy it from the water softener people, but they won't sell it to the general public anymore, since it's a known ingredient in improvised munitions.

Paul...

pablo
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by pablo » Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:55 pm

how does it use the kmno4? cos I made some attemps with it but could never "hold it" in place long enough. could you post a simple scheme or something?
thanks

Pablo

paul skinner

Re: re: SS67B-3

Post by paul skinner » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:44 pm

pablo wrote:how does it use the kmno4? cos I made some attemps with it but could never "hold it" in place long enough. could you post a simple scheme or something?
thanks

Pablo
Hi Pablo.

The KMn04 is made into a kind of muddy paste. You pack it around the inside of the combustion chamber with a plastic spatula or spoon. It needs to be dry and hard and slightly brittle for it to work on the H202 properly.
superhornet59 wrote:
well, i hear it makes a big purple smoke trail behind. is that true? its likely from the catalyst, but can you just use Nitrous Oxide as an oxidizer instead? reason is i want it for bench tests, and i dont want the place full of smoke.
No, no observable purple smoke, just pure white. And no, you can't use N02 in place of it (you could probably use a nickel screen though). That's more of hybrid trick used with a PET rocket (solid rocket). Different models.