Steam rocket

Moderator: Mike Everman

xxbgxx
Antipspambot question: 0

Steam rocket

Post by xxbgxx » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:35 pm

hi all
does anyone knows where i can find plans for steam rocket?

Tom

re: Steam rocket

Post by Tom » Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:45 pm

There will be several plans for such a design, However I would suggest for something like that, try a Catalyst based H202 (Hydrogen Peroxide) rocket. The principle is the same, propulsion through steam, just the means though which steam is created are different.

Conventional steam rocket engines require heavy boiler equipment, H202 systems require a tank of H202, a means of pressurising the system and a catalyst pack/break down chamber. The H202 flows over the pack, creating rapid decomposition of the H202, giving high a high temperature reaction, giving steam (H20) and Oxygen gas, (O2).

Tom
Experience speaks more then hypothesizing ever can. More-so in chemistry.

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: Steam rocket

Post by Viv » Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:46 pm

[quote="xxbgxx"]hi all
does anyone knows where i can find plans for steam rocket?[/quote]

Just do a google search mate, there was a Brazilian guy with a nice site on steam rockets I seem to remember working on drag cars and bikes

Viv

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:48 pm

I could have sworn his bike was H202...

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: re: Steam rocket

Post by Viv » Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:58 pm

Tom wrote:I could have sworn his bike was H202...
He did one of those too:-) see this link http://www.tecaeromex.com/ingles/vapori.html

Viv

xxbgxx

Post by xxbgxx » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:07 pm

hi all
ok wait a second he said he used rain water not havey water so its H2O not H202

you guys are talking about a diffrent thing
am talking about prussre steam engine and u guys are talking about 90% HYDROGEN PEROXIDE ROCKET ENGINES

seconde thing
i searched Yahoo,google,msn
Not a singel plan or a blue print just blah blah
you know i need them for the size and the valve because you need a spcail valve for such high prussre
i saw his link its just pictures
Last edited by xxbgxx on Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marksteamnz

Post by marksteamnz » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:11 pm

There used to be plans avalaible for a steam rocket called restorod. DO NOT buy or use these plans if you find them. The engineering is complete crap.
Buy the BJ Humphries book from www.canosoarus.com on steam rockets. If you do not understand the engineering involved in this project get someone knowledgable to do the engineering / stress / nozzle and temperature calculations and the building.
This is not some thing you can screw around with.
Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz

xxbgxx

Post by xxbgxx » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:16 pm

hi mark
thnx alot man but what about the valve i have hard time to find a valve that can take high prussre

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:42 pm

xxbgxx wrote:hi all

am talking about prussre steam engine and u guys are talking about 90% HYDROGEN PEROXIDE ROCKET ENGINES
I simply said it because I would have thought construction of said system would have been much less taxing. But that's just my opinion, I've built neither.

xxbgxx

Post by xxbgxx » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:36 pm

Tom wrote:
xxbgxx wrote:hi all

I simply said it because I would have thought construction of said system would have been much less taxing. But that's just my opinion, I've built neither.
???what do you mean???

marksteamnz

Post by marksteamnz » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:28 pm

xxbgxx wrote:hi mark
thnx alot man but what about the valve i have hard time to find a valve that can take high prussre
BUY THE BOOK AND STUDY IT!!

The www.tecaeromex.com site shows one way of operating a plug valve via a balanced piston.
Ball valves are capable of handling the pressure and temperature of a modest system. DO NOT use a burst disk, they are only for hobby rockets you must be able to throttle the nozzle and thus the thrust.
As long as the unit is engineered correctly it will be safer than any pulsejet unit. If you cannot do the engineering or pay to have it done, leave the whole project alone.
As a small encouragement a drag bike racer here in New Zealand built a small steam rocket powered bike and clocked 87mph on a temporary 1/8 mile track. So it is possible.
http://www.muthaship.freeserve.co.uk/ for a start point

This is my last comment on this from me until you do some furthur reading, study and thinking and come back with a proper project program.
Finally some almost certainly unwanted advice. You will appear more professional if you use a grammer and spell checker and avoid using phone text to write forum messages.
And to answer your unspoken question, yes I am a grumpy old fart.
Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz

xxbgxx

Post by xxbgxx » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:03 pm

NO I WILL NOT
i finded out that its not safe
and sorry for the way i writte but you know(2 much sms's)
anyway thnx all for help

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:07 am

Quick question. Can I ask your 1) age and 2) first language? There are some things that I picked up on that are not the result of texting too much, so I'm just curious.

Tom

xxbgxx

Post by xxbgxx » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:42 pm

Tom wrote:Quick question. Can I ask your 1) age and 2) first language? There are some things that I picked up on that are not the result of texting too much, so I'm just curious.

Tom
ok guys am gonna study enginering stuff even if its soo boring
and about your questions its ok if you want i will send you my C.V.

first of all am 19 and am a student and i study medicine
my Hobbies:DRAG RACEING and raceing ,swimming,weight lifting,and hang out with my friends
and yhea am not single

and why am in this site?
so i build a car that can kick ass by useing what other people know becasue as you noticed i suxs on physics

and about my first launguage i dont realy have a first language because my family lived in alot of countries and i write this way because too much sms and IM and because i have a spelling and gramer problems in all launguages that i can speak so i can talk very well (streat language)
but when it comes to writeing i cant write
and what i can speak :english,frinsh,north african,arabic,and am studying norwaigain
do you want a photo of me to?

Al Belli

Post by Al Belli » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:31 pm

Hi,

High pressure steam can be very dangerous due to it not being visible where a leak might be. In the WW ll era, the techs. working on the catapults on aircraft carriers used to carry a wood stick to sweep around inside any access hatches that they were going to reach into. This was done after a tech. reached into a hatch, and had his hand and forearm severed by an invisible high pressure steam jet caused by a pinhole leak.
I experimented with 1,000 PSI. steam many years ago, and the stream is not visible until it gets a fair distance from the source. I used a 5/32" Diameter nozzle ( controlled by a 20' lanyard ) to blow off the system when the tests were completed, and You would not believe the amount of noise generated by the escaping steam.
The testing was performed outdoors, with the blowdown nozzle a few inches above the ground. The escaping steam cleared a path about 15 feet long, and stripped the leaves off the woody groundcover. Needless to say, I developed a very healthy respect for high pressure steam!!!!

Al Belli