Data of Allowable working stress and heat transfer rate

Moderator: Mike Everman

superman12
Antipspambot question: 0

Data of Allowable working stress and heat transfer rate

Post by superman12 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:14 pm

Hello, I'm trying to find out the data of allowable working stress (due to internal pressure) and heat transfer rate data for common metals such as copper, aluminium, stainless steel, brass etc... in order to calculate the thickness of my combustion chamber. I've searched everywhere of both online and offline, but I just cannot get any decent data at all. Does anyone know any website with these necessary information? I'm sure there is one, but I i can't seem to find it. Thank you very much in advance.

Regards, superman

Ray

re: Data of Allowable working stress and heat transfer rate

Post by Ray » Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:36 pm

What pressure are you planning on running? What do you plan to do to protect the chamber from heat? What type of propellant are you going to be using? What grain configuration are you using? How long of a burn are you going to have?

The best choice of materials, and the chamber thickness are all going to be dependent on the answers to the questions above.

Most hobbist type combustion chambers are just aluminum and use either a paper liner to protect the Al from the heat of combustion. Long burn motors (greater than about 5 seconds) have to jump through some hoops to protect the chamber. Depending on the diameter of the motor, wall thickness that I've seen is from about 2.1mm (38mm OD) to 6.35mm (150mm OD). All of these are for an AP/HTPB propellant composition running at around 35-70 bar. Bigger motors usually run a bit lower on pressures.

superman12

Post by superman12 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:21 pm

Thanx for the reply! Well, actually I haven't decided anything yet, was just planning to decide the details after I get the data of the materials...

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:51 pm

Richard Nakka's site is a must for this stuff. There's calculators for all elements of rocket design. Enjoy!

http://members.aol.com/nakkarocketry/softw.html#CAS
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Hank

Post by Hank » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:59 am

Hello- There is a giant of enquiry whose name is little known. Josiah Willard Gibbs, the father of materials science. Search that fellow down and ask him.

Hank

superman12

Post by superman12 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:48 pm

Thank you everyone ! I really appreciate it!

Regards, superman