New modification : Automatic fit attached image

Moderator: Mike Everman

kenneth
Site Admin
Antipspambot question: 0

New modification : Automatic fit attached image

Post by kenneth » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:11 pm

Hi all

I have change so attached images will be showed (automatic shrink to fit the page) , when you click the image you will get at full size version!

kenneth

steve

Re: New modification : Automatic fit attached image

Post by steve » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:39 pm

ooooo! very nice! one of the best improvements to date!

NanoSoft
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by NanoSoft » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:33 pm

I agree. With a 56k modem i hate it when people post huge pictures that take 10 mins to load. Thumbnails are very nice.

Nanosoft

kenneth
Site Admin

Post by kenneth » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:52 pm

NanoSoft wrote:I agree. With a 56k modem i hate it when people post huge pictures that take 10 mins to load. Thumbnails are very nice.

Nanosoft

Wow does people still use 56k modems??
Why don't you have cabel, ADSL ??

Kenneth

Stephen H

Post by Stephen H » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:05 am

ouch.. 56k is nasty.. i got 128k which isnt extreamly fast.... but its sooo noticible when you go back to a 56k!!

Stephen

NanoSoft

Post by NanoSoft » Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:06 am

56k. Yeah i'm a techno freak and it sucks. First i live in 7 miles out of town and so cable is not an option. The only other option is satelite but my parents don't use the internet and don't need speed so they got 56k.

Mike Kirney

Post by Mike Kirney » Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:46 am

You think you got it tough at 56k? Dude, all I can get is 28.8 k, which usually comes in at 26.4 k, and very often at 21.6 k. In Killaloe, another tiny place in the middle of nowhere, they get full phone service, right up to DSL speeds. I am just 15 km too far to the west I guess. The auto-resize will make my surfing more enjoyable, guaranteed!
Trig IS fun.

kenneth
Site Admin

Post by kenneth » Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:31 am

Mike Kirney wrote:You think you got it tough at 56k? Dude, all I can get is 28.8 k, which usually comes in at 26.4 k, and very often at 21.6 k. In Killaloe, another tiny place in the middle of nowhere, they get full phone service, right up to DSL speeds. I am just 15 km too far to the west I guess. The auto-resize will make my surfing more enjoyable, guaranteed!
Damm , last time i had a 28.8 k connection was i 1995 , when i got my first internet access at home!!

now i am on a 1 mb ADSL , And could live with a modem line now!!

What about ISDN??

kenneth

Mike Kirney

Post by Mike Kirney » Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:11 pm

I live in a rather remote part of the province, even though it is just 2 hrs drive from Ottawa and 3.5 hours driving from Toronto. The nearest cable access is 50 km and I don't know why but the phone company won't upgrade it's switching gear for my village. All the other tiny little towns and villages around me can get 3.5 megs/sec super-DSL over the phone lines but not Round Lake Centre - we are stuck at 28.8 :-( . I could get a dish I suppose but that is way too much money for me to spend on something like the internet. I really don't like TV so that makes it even less appealing. I was going to start a wireless hi-speed WAN company but my property (which I thought was perfect for a radio tower) is in a very low spot amongst many tall hills, so no subscribers would actually be able to recieve the signals.
Trig IS fun.

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:09 pm

kenneth wrote:What about ISDN??
Yes, what about it? I never hear North Americans mentioning ISDN. Is it something that only Europe has embraced? It's a nice little thing between the 128 modem and DSL in performance and gives you a handy split of the telephone line into several lines, so that you can phone and surf at the same time.

OK, DSL and cable are better, but ISDN would be a stratospheric improvement over 28.8. the only real reason I prefer DSL to ISDN is the fact that DSL is always on, while ISDN is still dial-up, even if it dials up and connects so much faster than conventional modems.

I am thinking about a dedicated 3.5 megabit line next, which my ISP is trying to sell me, but it's still a bit pricey and I don't really need it.

Viv

Post by Viv » Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:49 pm

Bruno Ogorelec wrote:
kenneth wrote:What about ISDN??
Yes, what about it? I never hear North Americans mentioning ISDN. Is it something that only Europe has embraced? It's a nice little thing between the 128 modem and DSL in performance and gives you a handy split of the telephone line into several lines, so that you can phone and surf at the same time.

OK, DSL and cable are better, but ISDN would be a stratospheric improvement over 28.8. the only real reason I prefer DSL to ISDN is the fact that DSL is always on, while ISDN is still dial-up, even if it dials up and connects so much faster than conventional modems.

I am thinking about a dedicated 3.5 megabit line next, which my ISP is trying to sell me, but it's still a bit pricey and I don't really need it.
Probably for the same reasons he cant have DSL Bruno, ISDN is a digital signal at 110 volts as opposed to analogue telephone at 50 volts but it still suffers a distance limit and is dependant on the quality of the cable in the lines.

In parts of england some of the trunk lines are still using 1950s paper insulated multipair cables, this was a big problem round Basingstoke.

DSL is an RF signal imposed on to the normal line and has a very short range in comparison to ISDN, normally only a few kilometres.

I have 3 megabit DSL down in Montreal for $45 cdn a month or about £15.60 in contrast I was paying £27.50 a month for 512 kilobits in the UK

Damn its good! but the office is out in the woods up north so its onlt a dial up connection there:-(

Viv
Last edited by Viv on Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Mike Kirney

Post by Mike Kirney » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:02 pm

Interesting stuff, Viv. I must be on that backwards analogue 50 volt stuff. Somebody up in Wilno tried to start an ISDN company, but their signal could only travel 8 km on the phone lines, so it could not be reached by enough subscribers to be commerically viable. Around me, any town on or near Highway 60 will have full-service DSL and dial-up 56k over the phone, like Killaloe, which is just about 1 or 2 km off, or Barry's Bay, which is bisected by this road. Because I am roughly 15 km away from this 'trunk line', they have not bothered to put any kind of boosters or relays in between so anybody up Round Lake Rd. is stuck using equipment installed when the area was settled in the 1930s.

Bruno, what you ISDN is available in most of North America I think, but we call it DSL. The phone company sells it and it comes over their lines but you don't have to dial in, it is 'always on'. You need a special modem and you can surf and make phone calls at the same time with it. It comes in three speeds basically, 128 K (what I use when I'm in Pembroke), 1.5 meg, and the new 3.5 meg.

Viv, are you really paying 45 POUNDS per month for your hi-speed in Montreal? That is about $100 CDN. Is it a business line? Perhaps you mean $45 CDN. There is no such thing as 'pounds Canadian'.
Trig IS fun.

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:17 pm

Mike Kirney wrote:Bruno, what you ISDN is available in most of North America I think, but we call it DSL. The phone company sells it and it comes over their lines but you don't have to dial in, it is 'always on'. You need a special modem and you can surf and make phone calls at the same time with it. It comes in three speeds basically, 128 K (what I use when I'm in Pembroke), 1.5 meg, and the new 3.5 meg.
Nope, it ain't. As Viv explained in the previous post, it's different technology. I used to have ISDN (still have it, in fact, as a backup to DSL and to have 8 telephone lines with only two wires). For Internet connection, I use DSL. Each has its own modem. I'm looking at both as I write this. My pet rabbit is sniffing at the ISDN modem. Get away, vermin! Don't you dare bite a single cable here!

One day, this animal will bite a wrong cable and end up as a small lump of charcoal.

I just don't hear Americans or Canadians ever mention ISDN, while it's almost omnipresent in some European countries, like Germany. All those countries also have DSL and cable on offer. So does Croatia. ISDN is used very much for telephony and fax, plus the Internet.

Viv

Post by Viv » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:14 pm

Mike Kirney wrote:Interesting stuff, Viv. I must be on that backwards analogue 50 volt stuff. Somebody up in Wilno tried to start an ISDN company, but their signal could only travel 8 km on the phone lines, so it could not be reached by enough subscribers to be commerically viable. Around me, any town on or near Highway 60 will have full-service DSL and dial-up 56k over the phone, like Killaloe, which is just about 1 or 2 km off, or Barry's Bay, which is bisected by this road. Because I am roughly 15 km away from this 'trunk line', they have not bothered to put any kind of boosters or relays in between so anybody up Round Lake Rd. is stuck using equipment installed when the area was settled in the 1930s.

Bruno, what you ISDN is available in most of North America I think, but we call it DSL. The phone company sells it and it comes over their lines but you don't have to dial in, it is 'always on'. You need a special modem and you can surf and make phone calls at the same time with it. It comes in three speeds basically, 128 K (what I use when I'm in Pembroke), 1.5 meg, and the new 3.5 meg.

Viv, are you really paying 45 POUNDS per month for your hi-speed in Montreal? That is about $100 CDN. Is it a business line? Perhaps you mean $45 CDN. There is no such thing as 'pounds Canadian'.
Ok I just edited the mistake, sorry about the confusion I meant $45 cdn, a lifetime hitting the pounds key was the problem:-)

No ISDN and DSL are two very differant technologys Mike, ISDN is just a digital version of the anologue switched framework phone system.

DSL on the other hand is a shared network topology along the lines of ethernet, along the lines of its not I was just drawing an anology:-) it is delivered as a high frequency signal on top of the normal anologue phone system, thats why it does not interfer you cant here it as its so high.

They just add the Dslams at the exchange and tap the wires in to the infrastructure that is all ready there, easy! but you need a fibre connection then to carry the data back to the rest of the world.

Your exchange probably just does not have a fibre layed to it that can carry the traffic or all of the subsribers are to far away from the exchange as you can only get I think 4 km on copper.

ISDN is digital switched signal so its all done with coding, you have two 64 kbit wide data channels (for data) and a 16 kbit communication and switching channel (for telling the exchange what to do).

So you get 1 phone line (64kb) and 1 data channel (64kb) or 2 of each or how ever you want to do it, a voice call is coded digitally to take up a 64 kbit channel, 128 kb data connection is two channels slaved together.

When you make a phone call or data connection it uses the signal channel only untill the far end device signals back it is ready, then the 64kb channel is opened.

When you make ISDN calls you can forget all about that hollywood stuff about it takes a minute to trace the call, the signal channel transfer identifies your number as part of the protocal handshaking, and all calls are digital from the moment it hits the exchange!

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire