Kenneth remove the edit function! please?

Moderator: Mike Everman

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Kenneth remove the edit function! please?

Post by Viv » Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:26 pm

Kenneth remove the edit function please and reasine it to the moderators only

it has proved to be a liability to the forum in a detrimental and distructive way.

The recent actions of one person have now made nonesensical a great many threads on this forum, reading the posts is now a chore as referances and information has disapeared.

If you post here you are posting in to the public domain! thats it so make sure you wont be sorry before you post, jeez I have posted some howlers back in the old forum but it never occured to me to delete them.

We lost a 135 posts through this what happens if I get upset and spit my dummy out the pram? if I delete my 500+ posts thats going to make a hole now isn't!

So I would ask that we return the missing posts from the back up files and remove the edit function so destructive behavior is stopped.

Editing in future can be done by a request to a moderator.

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

larry cottrill
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: Kenneth remove the edit function! please?

Post by larry cottrill » Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:54 pm

Viv -

I wouldn't like that at all. I rely heavily on the edit feature, almost every time I post. No matter how carefully I try to 'get it right the first time', I ALWAYS find something that isn't quite right, isn't clearly stated, etc. after I think it's time to hit the Submit button. And, I attempt to correct it right away.

I think what would be best would be to limit editing to some span of time [say, 2 hours] per post following the Submit, and after that it would be 'locked in forever'. However, some would find even this too restrictive, I'm sure.

L Cottrill

Anthony

Post by Anthony » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:03 pm

Yeah, don't remove it please, if I do a spelling mistake and just notice after posting (therefore re-reading) my post, I feel the need to correct it. Larry's two-hour and never come back after idea sounds good, but I'm not sure there's a mod that enables phpBB2 to do it.
Anthony

mk

Post by mk » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:12 pm

I'd also say a "time based edit function" is the best way. But I'd say one hour should really be enough.
If there should still be a mistake, you can simply correct it in a following post. However, spelling mistakes don't matter in a relatively wide range, but logical mistakes (such like deleting posts, confusing discriptions, etc.) DO matter in fact.
mk

Viv

Post by Viv » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:16 pm

Ok I have to admit Larrys idea is a good one and would satisfy the needs of all users.

As a Dyslexic I have just got used to not spoting my spelling errors before or after I post them so it never occured to me to correct them:-)

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Stephen H

Post by Stephen H » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:26 pm

im not sure if there is a function to do that. what about removing it and then having a moderators thred/forum that you just ask one of us to do it for you?? This is if the 1 hour after fuction is not availible

Stephen

kenneth
Site Admin

Post by kenneth » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:31 pm

Hi

I have limited the edit time to 3 days after it has been post!

So if you want to edit your post ,after 3 day please contact the Moderators!!

is 3 days to much??

kenneth

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:34 pm

As i recall, it used to be a time limited edit.

As I was deleting Anthony's accidental duplicated posts earlier, I thought what damage a moderator could do if he went off the deep end... mwaaa ha ha! (scary...)

Seriously, I'd really like to know about the backups, etc., Kenneth?
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

kenneth
Site Admin

Post by kenneth » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:44 pm

Mike Everman wrote:As i recall, it used to be a time limited edit.

As I was deleting Anthony's accidental duplicated posts earlier, I thought what damage a moderator could do if he went off the deep end... mwaaa ha ha! (scary...)

hi mike
I don't know what the hostion company does?

I would like to backup the database daily but i don't have that option!!

But i am changing to a danish hosting company , where i will have that option!!

kenneth

Viv

Post by Viv » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:49 am

Thank you Kenneth I appriciate the effort.

Viv

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Anthony

Post by Anthony » Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:05 am

Mike Everman wrote:As i recall, it used to be a time limited edit.

Yeah, sorry about that, my Internet screwed up. Unreliable ISP. You miss the little (x) button when you are admin elsewhere hehe!
Anthony

paul skinner

Post by paul skinner » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:38 am

Sorry, but this isn't something I agree on. The post belong to the poster, not the site. IF a person feels that perhaps they've made a mistake in posting something they shouldn't, it should be up to the postee to remove it at their discretion.
If I'm actually selling the information to Kenneths site, then the title of that information would be transfered to the site/owner. Since the site is on a voluntary basis, you want to encourage people to add/remove/or modify at their own free will. You don't want them to feel they've created some sort of covenant between the poster and those reading the posts.
I understand where you're coming from Viv, but you want to encourage people to post. Not discourage them.

Viv

Post by Viv » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:54 pm

Principal Skinner wrote:Sorry, but this isn't something I agree on. The post belong to the poster, not the site. IF a person feels that perhaps they've made a mistake in posting something they shouldn't, it should be up to the postee to remove it at their discretion.
If I'm actually selling the information to Kenneths site, then the title of that information would be transfered to the site/owner. Since the site is on a voluntary basis, you want to encourage people to add/remove/or modify at their own free will. You don't want them to feel they've created some sort of covenant between the poster and those reading the posts.
I understand where you're coming from Viv, but you want to encourage people to post. Not discourage them.
I hear were you are coming from and understand your point as I have looked at it before, the old forum never had the edit option and we just learned to double check before we posted and howl at anybody who let a howler slip through.

You cant have property of post on a public forum as far as I can see as its public domain, there are no warnings to tell me you retain copyright of your post or that any posts are protected in any way, so its perfectly ok for me to assume that I can copy it and do what I want with it.

I have allways assumed that what I post is in the public domain so I should make sure I only post what I want there, I am contributing to a community forum after all thats on the world wide web availible to anybody on the planet earth.

I am not asking for a covenant between readers and posters as you cant have it and its unreasnable to assume such, but its reasnable to assume that if you post it on the internet every one will read it and its in the public domain from there on.

My point is its a community forum and a unreasnable actions should be minimised so as to protect the content and integrety of the threads on it.

I value my contribution to the forum and every one elses I do not want some one damaging my posts or any one elses, and that is what has happened.

Its vandalism the same as spraying grafit all over the place, it defaces and detracts and ultimatly spoils the forum for others enjoyment.

Still rant over:-) you have made me think though that we need a terms and conditions in the sign up or we at least need a disclaimer somewere on the forum to say that it is public domain.

Or maybe we have one I just havent read it? what i do know is I am going to get jumped on for bringing up copyright! its has the same effect as discussing religion at the dinner table on this forum:-)

Viv

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:11 pm

I'm a bit less outraged by the act, anger subsiding with time. I think that 3 days is about right to re-think your disclosure. If it really was worth anything, someone would have saved it anyway. Preserving the continuity of the threads is very important, so the edit limit is appropriate! If you're really going to want something pulled after that, a mod will do it for you, perhaps with some words that patch the thread a bit.

On another note:
Kenneth, could you please give FAQ posting rights to Bruno?
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

paul skinner

Post by paul skinner » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:08 pm

It's funny.

This is probably the most rational forum I've ever been on. How many places can you actually visit on the net, post an opinion, and not have that opinion shot into a million pieces by a flame wielding troll?
Everyone seems to respect the others point of view, and allows for a certain amount of discretion when posting.
It's amazing. I always feel like I'm at a session of Canadian parliment. :)

(~Specially since our Russian friend was banned about a year ago~)

I gotta say, I enjoy pulse-jets.com forum probably more than any other site on the web.