Old Forum Access

Moderator: Mike Everman

Grant
Antipspambot question: 0

Old Forum Access

Post by Grant » Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:00 am

Hi Kenneth,

Could we please have a link to the old forum? Or alternatively is there some way to import the old forum into this new one?

I think there is value in maintaining access to the old discussions.

I would happy to format the old forum content into a searchable pdf (or similar) for download on this site.

grant(@)iskov(.)com

NanoSoft
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: Old Forum Access

Post by NanoSoft » Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:56 am

I agree. i would like to browse the old forum if at all possible just for sake of knowledge.

Nanosoft

mk

Post by mk » Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:46 pm

I agree completely.

A link to the old forum should be enough.
PDFs are disliked by many people so it may not be worth converting everything. The file would also be very large.
mk

NanoSoft

Post by NanoSoft » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:22 am

I think just plain old html would be fine. I would really like to look over the old forum to maybe spark up a few old ideas.

Mike Kirney

Post by Mike Kirney » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:30 am

I have a feeling its been permanently deleted. It was available for a month or two after this forum came into being, but has since disappeared entirely, and despite everybody's clamouring, Kenneth has yet to bring it back. In all fairness, it was about 30% Ivar/anti-Ivar content, and there has been a tremendous amount of experimentation done since the inception of this new forum, so I for one question any need to bring it back. Most of the old forum was just speculative arguing anyway, with precious little actual data or serious design going on. I think most of the answers to the questions people had back then are being answered here.
Trig IS fun.

NanoSoft

Post by NanoSoft » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:44 am

I guessed that it had been deleted but what for the definitive word from Kenneth. Mike, i never got a chance to see the old forum at all and have no idea of the contents but still think it would be fun to review.

Mike Kirney

Post by Mike Kirney » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:21 am

The old forum was very differnet than this new forum. There was some good stuff for sure, especially the internet links that people put up, but there was a lot of crap too. Most of us who were just talking about jets back then have actually built some now so we know a lot more generally and the comments made on this new forum are much more well-informed. There was no registration or anything either back then, so there were a lot of trolls, especially one little goof from Norway who would post the most outrageous racist crap, which would cause the hotter heads among us to post retaliatory messages, which would cause him to post more of his crap, which would of course be re-butted at length ... well, you can see where this is going. I should say that some of my funniest material was contained in the threads of that forum, so in that respect, it is a bummer that Kenneth won't put it up for viewing. I think he is keeping it hidden because the objectionable material was sprinkled all throughout the threads and it is a monumental (impossible?) task to read all the messages and delete the inappropriate ones. Kenneth, does the old forum in still exist, or has it been deleted for good?
Trig IS fun.

kenneth
Site Admin

Post by kenneth » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:50 am

Mike Kirney wrote:The old forum was very differnet than this new forum. There was some good stuff for sure, especially the internet links that people put up, but there was a lot of crap too. Most of us who were just talking about jets back then have actually built some now so we know a lot more generally and the comments made on this new forum are much more well-informed. There was no registration or anything either back then, so there were a lot of trolls, especially one little goof from Norway who would post the most outrageous racist crap, which would cause the hotter heads among us to post retaliatory messages, which would cause him to post more of his crap, which would of course be re-butted at length ... well, you can see where this is going. I should say that some of my funniest material was contained in the threads of that forum, so in that respect, it is a bummer that Kenneth won't put it up for viewing. I think he is keeping it hidden because the objectionable material was sprinkled all throughout the threads and it is a monumental (impossible?) task to read all the messages and delete the inappropriate ones. Kenneth, does the old forum in still exist, or has it been deleted for good?
The old forum database still exist , but in MS access (54 mb) !

I have just convertet it into Mysql!! so give me a day or 2 , and you will have access to it !!

Kenneht

Viv

Post by Viv » Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:39 pm

kenneth wrote:
Mike Kirney wrote:The old forum was very differnet than this new forum. There was some good stuff for sure, especially the internet links that people put up, but there was a lot of crap too. Most of us who were just talking about jets back then have actually built some now so we know a lot more generally and the comments made on this new forum are much more well-informed. There was no registration or anything either back then, so there were a lot of trolls, especially one little goof from Norway who would post the most outrageous racist crap, which would cause the hotter heads among us to post retaliatory messages, which would cause him to post more of his crap, which would of course be re-butted at length ... well, you can see where this is going. I should say that some of my funniest material was contained in the threads of that forum, so in that respect, it is a bummer that Kenneth won't put it up for viewing. I think he is keeping it hidden because the objectionable material was sprinkled all throughout the threads and it is a monumental (impossible?) task to read all the messages and delete the inappropriate ones. Kenneth, does the old forum in still exist, or has it been deleted for good?
The old forum database still exist , but in MS access (54 mb) !

I have just convertet it into Mysql!! so give me a day or 2 , and you will have access to it !!

Kenneht
Ah now that is very good news indeed thankyou Kenneth.

Will there be a problem with the old troll threads? if so maybe we can get an editing team together to sort them out.

Although I would like to keep the VJ Singe troll threads, I particularly enjoyed hunting him down, and again recently, they often return under differant names to play.

Viv
Last edited by Viv on Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

mk

Post by mk » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:15 pm

Kenneth wrote:The old forum database still exist , but in MS access (54 mb) !

GREAT!!!!!
mk

kenneth
Site Admin

Post by kenneth » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:48 pm

Ihe script is ready

http://www.pulse-jets.com/oldforum/forumforside.php

try it out!!

I have not uploaded the hole database , will do it tomorrow

kenneth

steve

Post by steve » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:04 am

AAAhhhh, scary! I like the new forum format much better!
some of the veterans should probably tell us which of the old posts are worth looking at before I spend an entire day looking through them all.

Mike Kirney

Post by Mike Kirney » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:26 am

I am afraid that you will just have to sort through the posts yourself, Steve. There are over 10,000 messages on the old forum, and most of the threads contain at least one nugget of useful information. Some hints though:

-ignore all posts by "Gman" or "Ivar"
-posts by "Tundra Man" are very good reading
-posts by "fde" can be quite informative
-many of Larry's posts come with awesome drawings
-remember to take a break every couple of hours to rest your eyes

I hope this helps.
Trig IS fun.

Viv

Post by Viv » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:47 am

Mike Kirney wrote:I am afraid that you will just have to sort through the posts yourself, Steve. There are over 10,000 messages on the old forum, and most of the threads contain at least one nugget of useful information. Some hints though:

-ignore all posts by "Gman" or "Ivar"
-posts by "Tundra Man" are very good reading
-posts by "fde" can be quite informative
-many of Larry's posts come with awesome drawings
-remember to take a break every couple of hours to rest your eyes

I hope this helps.
Steve don't listen to him he is winding you up! Tundra man was the worst

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Stephen H

Post by Stephen H » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:54 pm

Pulsejet forum : 1624
Valveless forum : 1369
Ramjet forum : 117
pressurejet forum : 471
How to improve this site : 126
jet engine forum : 14