Education of forum content:

Moderator: Mike Everman

Jim Berquist
Antipspambot question: 0

Education of forum content:

Post by Jim Berquist » Thu May 03, 2007 11:50 pm

Would it be possible to direct new members to read the STICKIES at the top of the forum sections before they can post a note?

I wouldn't care if they really read them, as long as they know that they are available and there.

If they wish to post on Rockets, They have to Sign off on Those stickies.

Pulse jet valveless, Sign off those stickies! And the story goes on!

This way the Newer people and Veterans would at least find a source of answers to the most basic questions and even learn what other questions to ask!

Just a thought! What You All Say!

Jim
WHAT TO FRAP, IT WORKED![url=callto://james.a.berquist]Image[/url]

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri May 11, 2007 2:52 am

I was just thinking the same thing.

I noticed there are a lot of spammers signing up with all kinds of crap websites listed as their page, but they havent been posting. I guess they didnt get approved?

I dont know why the phpbb2 signup process is so ...... crappy.... you either have to put it so that everyone can sign up no problems, email verificaation that doesnt work with real people, or set it so that the admin has to approve each and every person, and in the approval email, they just send you the users screen name, and you cant tell a damn thing about them.... the whole thing totally sucks.

I havent figured out how to get my forum back up, so many spammers signed up and then one day my forum just blew up and I dont even know how to go about salvaging it.

In an ideal world, we could make it so that to post they have to sign up, read the stickies, and take a little quiz with randomly rotating answers, so bots cant sign up and so that the people actually have to read them lol.

Hey they want to learn right....

Eric

Talking like a pirate does not qualify as experience, this should be common sense, as pirates have little real life experience in anything other than smelling bad, and contracting venereal diseases

Jim Berquist

Post by Jim Berquist » Fri May 11, 2007 4:09 am

Eric: I know it will hurt and mess you up , but just dump what you have and start over. Losing a hard drive is like losing your kid! Your child! If it's that messed up cut it free and start over! I signed up on your site when this one was in a mess and would like it as a alternative, back up to the world.

All I ask for is the newbies be directed to the stickies and say I seen them. They don't even have to read them as long as we the people of the forum know they had a shot or chance at reading them.....

We, Us, the forum in experiencing a influence on new bee's This is a most good thing. New Ideas, I welcome each and every one.....

Jim

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Sun May 13, 2007 6:54 am

Eric wrote:I was just thinking the same thing.

I noticed there are a lot of spammers signing up with all kinds of crap websites listed as their page, but they havent been posting. I guess they didnt get approved?

Eric
Yes, they do not. I get behind a few days in approving new legitimate users, but I'm getting good at spotting the bot sign-ups. 70% I can just ignore; some are sneakier and I have to look them up. There's a pretty good filter that allows me to automatically reject ones with emails that are .info or .sex, etc.

It's not too bad now. It was way worse when they were posting several spams each before I could delete their accounts.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Jim Berquist

Post by Jim Berquist » Sun May 13, 2007 5:53 pm

Mike:
You must have a good handle on the bot thing. I can't remember seeing any in quite some time.

Jim