How to improve the site. Easy. Ban Ivar

Moderator: Mike Everman

paul skinner

How to improve the site. Easy. Ban Ivar

Post by paul skinner » Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:39 pm

I see that Ivar has managed to enjoy the benefits of the new forum, after ruining the old one. I'm just waiting till he bursts out with one of his patented anti-semtic tirades on how the world is down on poor old Ivar.

You're asking how to improve the site. Easy. Take away Ivars account, block his block ISP domain, and hopefully we'll have a civilized conversation and good exchange of ideas BEFORE the nonsense starts.

Thanks.

PSkinner.

Mike Kirney
Antipspambot question: 0

A Word Filter Is The Answer

Post by Mike Kirney » Sun Oct 12, 2003 3:03 pm

Easier said than done, Mr. Skinner . Banning individual IP addresses is futile because most ISPs assign you a different one every time you log on to the internet from a pool of numbers they lease. Blocking his domain will prevent other potential site users using the same ISP from accessing the forums, so thats no good either. Also, the web is replete with 'anonymizers', a link to one having been already posted on the old forum, so that can be used to get around any domain blocking. A word filter combined with a roster of human moderators is the only answer to effective content control. Of course there are ways around the word filter too, but it is far easier to accumulate a list of forbidden words and pseudo-words than it is to accumulate a similar list of IP addresses. Forbidding words also allows free access to one and all but still provides an effective method of keeping the forums focused on their intended topics. Since I visit the forums 3 or 4 times everyday, and I seem to get along with most of the other participants, I have e-mailed Kenneth volunteering to be a moderator. If you think you can trust my judgement, e-mail Kenneth and vote for me, The Participant Formerly Known As Tundra Man.

paul skinner

Re: A Word Filter Is The Answer

Post by paul skinner » Sun Oct 12, 2003 3:25 pm

Mike Kirney wrote:Easier said than done, Mr. Skinner . Banning individual IP addresses is futile because most ISPs assign you a different one every time you log on to the internet from a pool of numbers they lease. Blocking his domain will prevent other potential site users using the same ISP from accessing the forums, so thats no good either. Also, the web is replete with 'anonymizers', a link to one having been already posted on the old forum, so that can be used to get around any domain blocking. A word filter combined with a roster of human moderators is the only answer to effective content control. Of course there are ways around the word filter too, but it is far easier to accumulate a list of forbidden words and pseudo-words than it is to accumulate a similar list of IP addresses. Forbidding words also allows free access to one and all but still provides an effective method of keeping the forums focused on their intended topics. Since I visit the forums 3 or 4 times everyday, and I seem to get along with most of the other participants, I have e-mailed Kenneth volunteering to be a moderator. If you think you can trust my judgement, e-mail Kenneth and vote for me, The Participant Formerly Known As Tundra Man.

Works for me. Thanks Mike.....I doubt though in the long run Ivar will resist the temptation to....well, act like Ivar, in which case you'll just lose people again.

Unless Ivars using a dial up modem, I doubt he's using BootP or a dynamic IP. Most IPs with the assigned mac, when assigned are usually "out there" for a least a couple of months or longer, unless Ivars got a couple of nics in his system in which case he could switch back and forth, forcing his ipconfig to release, renew, flushdns and hopefully get a new IP but I doubt he possess the knowledge or the cash.
I also doubt that Ivars ISP has many customers within his assigned DNS that visit this site...right? Blocking a group of IPs would keep him from accessing the site.
You also mention 'anonymizers' which is just another way of saying "proxy server"...so?
Proxy servers also have IP's, and I doubt you'd find anyone else on this site would be enough of a wank to use Ivars specific proxy server to get to this site. Also you forgot to mention that most proxy servers are not free, and will not allow you to use one of their specific ports to connect to without a service fee. Something I doubt Ivar would be willing to cough up for. Also most 'anonymizers' are used to relay email, not cruise the net.
It's not a stretch to think that taking away Ivars account would allow him to still visit the site. As a read only. Since to get onto this site you need a valid email address, I doubt Ivar would be using a new one outside of the hotmail address he used to send me nice little nasty anti semetic hate emails on the sideline "off-site" of Kenneths site, and the one he probably used to sign up for the new site.

Mike. There's not much difference from the old non-php site if you're just going to allow Ivar to spoil what could be a decent site. What the point of putting money into a php format if you don't want the control that it enables its use. PHP BB are used all of the time now for thousands of forums for one of those reasons...more control.

Later,

PSkinner.

kenneth
Site Admin

Post by kenneth » Sun Oct 12, 2003 4:57 pm

Principal Skinner wrote:
Mike Kirney wrote:Easier said than done, Mr. Skinner . Banning individual IP addresses is futile because most ISPs assign you a different one every time you log on to the internet from a pool of numbers they lease. Blocking his domain will prevent other potential site users using the same ISP from accessing the forums, so thats no good either. Also, the web is replete with 'anonymizers', a link to one having been already posted on the old forum, so that can be used to get around any domain blocking. A word filter combined with a roster of human moderators is the only answer to effective content control. Of course there are ways around the word filter too, but it is far easier to accumulate a list of forbidden words and pseudo-words than it is to accumulate a similar list of IP addresses. Forbidding words also allows free access to one and all but still provides an effective method of keeping the forums focused on their intended topics. Since I visit the forums 3 or 4 times everyday, and I seem to get along with most of the other participants, I have e-mailed Kenneth volunteering to be a moderator. If you think you can trust my judgement, e-mail Kenneth and vote for me, The Participant Formerly Known As Tundra Man.

Works for me. Thanks Mike.....I doubt though in the long run Ivar will resist the temptation to....well, act like Ivar, in which case you'll just lose people again.

Unless Ivars using a dial up modem, I doubt he's using BootP or a dynamic IP. Most IPs with the assigned mac, when assigned are usually "out there" for a least a couple of months or longer, unless Ivars got a couple of nics in his system in which case he could switch back and forth, forcing his ipconfig to release, renew, flushdns and hopefully get a new IP but I doubt he possess the knowledge or the cash.
I also doubt that Ivars ISP has many customers within his assigned DNS that visit this site...right? Blocking a group of IPs would keep him from accessing the site.
You also mention 'anonymizers' which is just another way of saying "proxy server"...so?
Proxy servers also have IP's, and I doubt you'd find anyone else on this site would be enough of a wank to use Ivars specific proxy server to get to this site. Also you forgot to mention that most proxy servers are not free, and will not allow you to use one of their specific ports to connect to without a service fee. Something I doubt Ivar would be willing to cough up for. Also most 'anonymizers' are used to relay email, not cruise the net.
It's not a stretch to think that taking away Ivars account would allow him to still visit the site. As a read only. Since to get onto this site you need a valid email address, I doubt Ivar would be using a new one outside of the hotmail address he used to send me nice little nasty anti semetic hate emails on the sideline "off-site" of Kenneths site, and the one he probably used to sign up for the new site.

Mike. There's not much difference from the old non-php site if you're just going to allow Ivar to spoil what could be a decent site. What the point of putting money into a php format if you don't want the control that it enables its use. PHP BB are used all of the time now for thousands of forums for one of those reasons...more control.

Later,

PSkinner.
PHPBB has loged 4 diff ip adress on ivar

kenneth

Mike Kirney

So Many Methods, Which To Use?

Post by Mike Kirney » Sun Oct 12, 2003 5:50 pm

If banning IPs is easier, well then, thats the way to go. I'm no expert, just a well-travelled netizen, and I was speaking from my general experience as a web user, not from any sort of formal education. I used that free anonymizer on a different forum where IPs and hosts are displayed, and it worked quite well, although you are right, all the IPs started with the same A and B class numbers (something like 130.162.xxx.xxx). All the same, I would still like to be a moderator, and I think a word filter would be more effective in the end, because really, it is the words we view that ultimately irritate us, so if you ban the words then nobody can talk about the subjects. There is one single word that Ivar has used again and again that nobody else ever uses, except to reply to the posts that he writes using that word. I'm pretty sure that Kenneth could clean everything up by banning all messages containing that one word. I'm not going to say the word because I think everybody knows what it is. There is a terrible irony in all this, and I hope that I'm not the only one who sees it.

paul skinner

Post by paul skinner » Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:02 pm

kenneth wrote:

kenneth
Actually, if you look at the ip address though Ken, you'll probably see the first block of number repeated over and over, eg:

The first numbers designate the country code. Mine will always be 24. (canada)

Examples:

127.0.0.1 Block a single IP Address

127.0.0.* Block IP range 127.0.0.0 - 255

127.0.*.* Block IP ranges 127.0.0-255.0 - 255

127.*.*.* Block IP ranges 127.0-255.0-255.0 - 255

*.*.*.* Block EVERYONE --

You can block specific addresses or a range of addresses this way. Ivars obviously using a dial up modem with dynamic IP addresses set from a pool. Should be fairly easy to block out.

If that's what it comes to.

Who knows. Maybe the filter will work. But I have my doubts.

kenneth
Site Admin

Post by kenneth » Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:27 pm

Principal Skinner wrote:
kenneth wrote:

kenneth
Actually, if you look at the ip address though Ken, you'll probably see the first block of number repeated over and over, eg:

The first numbers designate the country code. Mine will always be 24. (canada)

Examples:

127.0.0.1 Block a single IP Address

127.0.0.* Block IP range 127.0.0.0 - 255

127.0.*.* Block IP ranges 127.0.0-255.0 - 255

127.*.*.* Block IP ranges 127.0-255.0-255.0 - 255

*.*.*.* Block EVERYONE --

You can block specific addresses or a range of addresses this way. Ivars obviously using a dial up modem with dynamic IP addresses set from a pool. Should be fairly easy to block out.

If that's what it comes to.

Who knows. Maybe the filter will work. But I have my doubts.

Yes i know , I think i will give ivar a change:)

but if he starts to , then i vill block him

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Viv » Sun Oct 12, 2003 7:23 pm

Well I was going to point out that an idividuel IP was not a problem as we could just block the traffic from thom that ISP.

If you think it is harsh think again its what AOL does on a regular basis when it finds an open relay mail server on an ISPs IP range.

It just shuts them down untill the ISP sorts out its own problem customer.

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire