spammers

Moderator: Mike Everman

Jim Berquist
Antipspambot question: 0

XXX

Post by Jim Berquist » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:11 pm

Give the people on the forum the power to police themselves....

The forum admin have a life too! I would be glade to tag these bone heads, marking them for the powers to be to knock down...

As I come across them place a flag of some sort on it and someone could check it out and kill it!!!

Limiting our prospects of people in the know and brains is not the answer!

Sometimes we have a hit by the little guy that has a really good idea!.

This is what This Forum is all about!!! Learning!!!!

If we act in a knee jerk reaction and pull away ,,,they win and we loose..

Dose phpbb provide for a critique ???? 5 critique's and your out!!!

Just a Thought!!!!

Jim :twisted:
WHAT TO FRAP, IT WORKED![url=callto://james.a.berquist]Image[/url]

heada

Post by heada » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:41 pm

In other forums that I'm a member of, we use tags in the subject field to let others search more efficiently. For example, if I start a thread on a scale model of a rocket, I include ::SCALE:: in the title of the tread.

It should not be that hard to reply to a post here with something like ::SPAM:: to let the mods just search for that term and kill any thread with that tag. It should reduce the amount of time it takes to find the spam posts by alot while still not elevating the responsibility for deleting posts to just anyone (where it might be abused)

Fighting spam is an overall losing battle but if we make it more difficult for them to get the message seen by people who will click on the site/order product/whatever than maybe they will move on to other, easier targets.

Just my $0.02 While I'm not a programmer (I'm a system admin) any help in the scripting area that I can give I will more than happily do.

pezman

RSS feed to fight spam?

Post by pezman » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:32 pm

Does this version of PHPBB have an RSS feed capability? If so, it should be relatively easy to make a filter that takes the XML RSS feed and uses it to render HTML pages that are a de-spammified view of the site.

I do a fair amound of XSL work and would be happy to design such a filter and post updates to filter out any newly registered mispamthropes.

Mike Everman

Re: RSS feed to fight spam?

Post by Mike Everman » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:33 am

pezman wrote:Does this version of PHPBB have an RSS feed capability? If so, it should be relatively easy to make a filter that takes the XML RSS feed and uses it to render HTML pages that are a de-spammified view of the site.

I do a fair amound of XSL work and would be happy to design such a filter and post updates to filter out any newly registered mispamthropes.
Thanks for the offer, I'll check on the RSS.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:07 pm

Larry, would you like to be a mod and help with this housekeeping directly, until I can do something more permanent? Marking them is a waste of your time, when I can make it so you can delete them directly. Let me know..

larry cottrill

Spammers

Post by larry cottrill » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:13 pm

Mike -

Sure, I could do that for a while. Probably can't do much over the weekends, since I usually have barely any time to even look at the forums then - but most weekdays I take a peek every couple of hrs during the day, so I could do it then.

As long as you can give me clear instructions ... I sure don't want to be the one to screw things up for anybody !!! But, if I can understand it, I can do it. I'd like to not deal with any other moderator duties, though - just the junk cleanup.

L Cottrill

thecheat

Post by thecheat » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:29 pm

hmm.... perhaps you could try something, this I KNOW you should be able to do!

Make it so new members can't post links (set a limit of 5 posts before links can be posted) And, make it so non-members can't post. 99% of the spam has a link attached, but, if the settings didn't let them post a link, therefore not letting them post, which doesn't let them get past the necessary post count to attach links... it should destroy their ability to post.

PS: why is it that they always post in a topic that is older than 30 days?
Lasers, jets, and helicopters HURAH!

Mike Everman

spammers

Post by Mike Everman » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:21 am

Guys,
Thanks for the efforts, but please don't post the :: spam :: alerts, it just makes them harder to find.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:32 am

Larry,
I've given you mod status. You will now see some options on the lower left of posts. The simplest and safest way to get rid of a spam TOPIC is to hit the "X" to delete it.
If the spam is a post on a good thread, you will see an "x" now at the upper right of the post. That will delete the offending post only.

If there are a lot of them at one time, look to the bottom right and hit "moderate this forum" and you will see a list of all topics in the forum you are in. Checkbox the garbage and consider it very closely, as when you hit delete at the lower right, it is irreversable.

Thanks very much for the help! I'll see how fast I can get us spam-proof.

hagent

Post by hagent » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:29 am

Hey Mike,

While enjoying the Vancouver BC wheather currently -3 deg C. I was thinking about the spam problem.

Why not just have a 24 hour e-mail request turn around on new accounts?
So you can't post for at least 24 hours.

Is there some way you could catch their mac address and then not let them ever post again if they did spam?

If they had to wait 24 hours to post maybe that would be a good deterent from most spamers...

In the agreement is there a section that states no spaming?

Well take care and hope everyones holidays have been great and safe.

Cheers
Hagen Tannberg

larry cottrill

Spammers

Post by larry cottrill » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:21 pm

Mike Everman wrote:Larry,
I've given you mod status. You will now see some options on the lower left of posts. The simplest and safest way to get rid of a spam TOPIC is to hit the "X" to delete it.
If the spam is a post on a good thread, you will see an "x" now at the upper right of the post. That will delete the offending post only.

If there are a lot of them at one time, look to the bottom right and hit "moderate this forum" and you will see a list of all topics in the forum you are in. Checkbox the garbage and consider it very closely, as when you hit delete at the lower right, it is irreversable.

Thanks very much for the help! I'll see how fast I can get us spam-proof.
Mike -

I tried it. It works. What power! Unforunately, I like it ...

Of course, you should still be banning offendors. Granted, they will come back with new names but at least they can't keep posting with the old ones. So, I assume you're still doing that.

Anyway, I'll check in once in a while, as I always have, and try to clean things up. Be assured, everyone, that I will always try to act responsibly.

It is doubtful that these practitioners will ever "learn their lesson" and just give up. Like all professional grade spamming, the cost of doing this, once a user name is set up, is essentially zero. They don't care if it is only .0001 percent effective, if they get their "message" out millions of times per week or whatever. The only way they'll quit is if their hit rates essentially go down to zero and stay there. That means we all have a responsibility NOT TO CLICK on their stupid links!

At least I now have the weapons to engage in the battle, in a small way. Everybody let me know once in a while how I'm doing ... of course, if I could do it perfectly, you wouldn't even notice ;-)

Thanks!

L Cottrill

Irvine.J

Go get em tiger

Post by Irvine.J » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:56 pm

Larry, have fun! You have the power!!! HEheh couldn't resist.
Your right, its really late and I'm just mucking around. Deleted, hope you didn't take it seriously. Sorry Larry.
Last edited by Irvine.J on Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

larry cottrill

Have Gun, Will Travel

Post by larry cottrill » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:11 pm

James, that's awful.

Yes, that's the danger of course. To a man with a new hammer, everything looks like a nail ...

L Cottrill

Mark

GR

Post by Mark » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:30 pm

I was flipping through a returned book the other day and read that Gene Roddenberry did some writing for HGWT.
MArk
Presentation is Everything

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:14 pm

I have changed the sign up to admin activation. I recieved about 20 requests last night, all spam bots.
This may work.
Larry and Tom, let me delete spam for today, I want to deactivate the remaining usernames doing it.