Jet Formulae

Moderator: Mike Everman

JetSet
Antipspambot question: 0

Jet Formulae

Post by JetSet » Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:54 pm

Hello.

I am unable to start my venture into jet engines just yet, but am trying to read up on as much as the net has to offer.

As i am unable to try things and see, i will look into the scientific side of things.

On some sites i have read things like "i have done the calculations and it should use X amount of fule per minute and generate Z lbs of thrust"

Are the any formulae to work these things out? or are the 'calculations' based on observations of previous attempts?

If things like this do exist, could you please point me in the correct direction?

Thank you for your time!
JetSet

jmhdx
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by jmhdx » Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:27 pm

If you have no wife, children or anything better to do with your time then simply read all of the posts to this forum and you'll either find what your after or a link to it or perhaps pick up what you do and don't need to know about jet engines. SFC is specific fuel cosumption which would mean fuel used in lb per lb of thrust per hour I think. So if an engine producing 10lb of thrust consumed 24lb of fuel in one hour it would have a SFC of 2.4 ok.
I will probably be corrected shortly so wait a while and you'll get a better answer.
MIke.