Cooling HK pulse jet

Moderator: Mike Everman

gerre
Antipspambot question: 125

Cooling HK pulse jet

Post by gerre » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:55 pm

Hi all,

In the context of my thesis I'd like to bench run my HK pulse jet, but for longer than 10 seconds. Does anybody know any other means of engine cooling, apart from a leaveblower?

I read that using methanol as a fuel has a cooling effect on the engine, but you apparently have to do a "methanol-conversion" to achieve this or you ruin it. I also saw something about water injection or fuel cooling (for big pulse jets?), but I'm not sure if it's applicable for the HK pulse jet.

Does anybody have detailed information about these means of cooling, or maybe other ways of engine cooling?

Thanks alot for helping! :)

metiz

Re: Cooling HK pulse jet

Post by metiz » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:07 pm

I'm pretty sure you can run a hobbyking pj for longer than 10 seconds without ruining it. I've see plenty of youtube vids of people doing just that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmgCkBOYDHY

If you're realy worried though you could inject water vapour in the intake. Be aware that this will increase thrust so if you want data on TSFC, heat generated, thrust etc, you need to run all your tests with the same setup
Quantify the world.

gerre

Re: Cooling HK pulse jet

Post by gerre » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:29 pm

Thanks for the reply. I guess I wil do a little bit research about the water cooling :)
Though I still don't know what my mentor meant by "fueling cooling". I guess he was refering to the water cooling.