Fueling ridiculously big engines

Moderator: Mike Everman

metiz
Antipspambot question: 125

Fueling ridiculously big engines

Post by metiz » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:51 pm

I'm planning on building a 500 pound, tripple intake valveless pulse-jet engine and I need some fueling ideas. Fuel will be petrol. I can get a bunch of in-tank fuel pumps to get the fuel to the engine, but what then?

I'm thinking of at least wrapping some copper around the rectifier to get some pressure going but do I need special injectors like maybe modified paint spray nozzles or can I makedo with multiple-hole grimjectors?

Advice, hints or tips are welcome
Quantify the world.

luc

Re: Fueling ridiculously big engines

Post by luc » Tue May 01, 2012 1:00 pm

metiz wrote:I'm planning on building a 500 pound, tripple intake valveless pulse-jet engine and I need some fueling ideas. Fuel will be petrol. I can get a bunch of in-tank fuel pumps to get the fuel to the engine, but what then?

I'm thinking of at least wrapping some copper around the rectifier to get some pressure going but do I need special injectors like maybe modified paint spray nozzles or can I makedo with multiple-hole grimjectors?

Advice, hints or tips are welcome
Hi Metiz,

I have a question; Why not using propane since it's a very easy fuel to use and self pressurizes? This would save you few pumps.

If your concerns are "The possible or maximun fuel volume when using vapor propane", you should know that I have designed a special "Self evaporating" liquid propane injector that could be use.

The total nozzle length is apprx. 9 inches long, and into this somehow "small length", this injector easely convert (Vaporizes) liquid into vapor in a very stable manner.

I've designed and used this injector for my DIY turbine, after realizing vapor propane injector would not allow my turbine to achieve max. rpm due to vapor propane limited volume and line freeze-up. I had no propblems getting to max. power (95,000 rpm) after doing this special injector.

Let me know if you would like to use liquid propane, for my injector could help I beleive ... :wink:

Good day,
Luc
Designer & Inventor

metiz

Post by metiz » Tue May 01, 2012 1:17 pm

Hey Luc

How does your injector achieve vapoursiation? Could it be used for petrol instead? I COULD use propane but then I'd need to haul several large tanks with me to power it up. It's also not easy to remotely throttle the engine then. This engine is so large that there's a serious health risk with me starting it manually. Therefore it will be started and run fom a distance
Quantify the world.

luc

Post by luc » Tue May 01, 2012 1:38 pm

metiz wrote:Hey Luc

How does your injector achieve vapoursiation? Could it be used for petrol instead? I COULD use propane but then I'd need to haul several large tanks with me to power it up. It's also not easy to remotely throttle the engine then. This engine is so large that there's a serious health risk with me starting it manually. Therefore it will be started and run fom a distance
My new vaporizer/injector works on a concept of "Area & Time" to vaporize liquid propane to vapor. Basically, the vaporizer/injector has and area and some steel whole inside to create "Maximum" area to absorb & transfer "Heat" to the liquid propane.

As for heavy fuels, I don't think it would work because of the "Carbon" creation potential that could happen and block the injector after a while.

But go see this thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6373 and you can view or read all about it.

In fact, it also contain a control system full schematic that could help you deal with that "Remote control" situation of yours ... :wink:

The topic is not that long, only 4 postings I beleive, but there are some movies you should look for I pretty certain they will trigger your mind ... :wink:

Let me know if you need more,

Regards,
Luc
Designer & Inventor

luc

Post by luc » Tue May 01, 2012 1:43 pm

One note taugh ...

Looking at the control system schematic might have you think it's a bit "Over Kill", but remember that originally, this system was aiming to get CSA approval and why this system incorporate all the required system systems (i.e. : Safety valves, regulators, ... ect).

In fact, if you would ever want to have any of your propane fuel system to be approved for industrial use, that's the way to do it.

But for your propject ... You can take alot of components out, as long as you don't compromise on your personal safety ... :wink:
Luc
Designer & Inventor

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Wed May 02, 2012 3:43 pm

I have been looking at this picture Mark provided earlier, the one thing that has my attention at the moment is the step down that the holes are near. Notice the step is closest to the venturi opening side. On the Bailey the are positioned right near the step. I wonder if the holes in lucs design could be shifted further back towards the fitting to duplicate that property.

If my hunch is correct, that step should create a pressure increase on the out flow, may not be much but is some thing I would hope to test soon.

Grim appeared to have good luck with those holes located just inside the head plate. I think with yours both the step and the holes would have to be slanted to match the cone portion of the CC.
Attachments
marks.jpg

luc

Post by luc » Wed May 02, 2012 7:55 pm

PyroJoe wrote:I wonder if the holes in lucs design could be shifted further back towards the fitting to duplicate that property.
Yeaaa ... Sure ... Why not ...

Remember that my evaprator/injector was designed for a gas turbine and the holes are further down or away from the fitting, thus, the combustion chamber cover, so the cover does'nt get over heated by to close flames. Remember that in a gas turbine, the flames are most likely to be located where the holes are.

Therefore, you can move these holes any where you want as long as they always serve and maintain their purpose.

If you ever decide to use my concept, remember there is a piece of steel woll (Ruff or medium) inside the larger tube before closing it. That steel woll serve as a surface increaser for better heat transfer and also serves to break the incoming fuel into very small droplets for best vaporisation.

Cheers,
Luc
Designer & Inventor