can anything be done to prevent a used jet from loosing its.

Moderator: Mike Everman

james t

can anything be done to prevent a used jet from loosing its.

Post by james t » Wed May 12, 2004 8:57 pm

hello all..this is my first post although iv been checking out this forum for quite some time...forgive me if this topic was already covered but i was wondering if anything can be done to preserve an unused pulse jets shiny luster..iv noticed after running for the first time every pulse jet i have ever seen turns an ugly grey color.is there a coating that can be used or maybe a different material(other than steel) that when heated,will stay shiny??i guess i also can ask if(i am waiting for my first pulse jet to arrive in the mail)after running your jet.can the grey color be buffed out with an abrasive wheel and return to its new shiny color??i own a caswell plating kit ...can plating the jet with nickel or chrome prior to running prevent the jet from turning gray??..thanks guys..

larry cottrill
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: can anything be done to prevent a used jet from loosing

Post by larry cottrill » Wed May 12, 2004 9:40 pm

james t wrote:hello all..this is my first post although iv been checking out this forum for quite some time...forgive me if this topic was already covered but i was wondering if anything can be done to preserve an unused pulse jets shiny luster..iv noticed after running for the first time every pulse jet i have ever seen turns an ugly grey color.is there a coating that can be used or maybe a different material(other than steel) that when heated,will stay shiny??i guess i also can ask if(i am waiting for my first pulse jet to arrive in the mail)after running your jet.can the grey color be buffed out with an abrasive wheel and return to its new shiny color??i own a caswell plating kit ...can plating the jet with nickel or chrome prior to running prevent the jet from turning gray??..thanks guys..
James -

I'm sure that with a rotary wire brush and a lot of patience you could restore any stainless pulsejet pipe to that 'factory new' brushed finish sheen. I doubt that there is any plating that won't discolor from being run red hot. It's a combination of oxidation, microscopic surface texture and porosity [in some cases], fingerprints, lipids suspended in the surrounding air, etc.

Could you refinish it? Yes. Is it worth it? Doubtful, unless you have some overwhelming reason [advertising photos or something] and/or you consider your time worth absolutely nothing.

I was about 15 or 16 years old when I first started running my brand new Dynajet, which I had obtained for the princely sum of two $30.00 payments, and was highly distressed by how quickly the pipe lost its hobby shop shelf luster. After a few runs, I decided that it was a lot more fun to run it [and later on, actually fly it!] than to have it sitting around to look at. These engines are made to run, and made to run hot -- the wonderful grey oxide color is just evidence of the truth that the thing actually does what it was always meant to do. Enjoy it!

L Cottrill

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu May 13, 2004 3:20 am

I kind of liked that powder coating look that one fellow had on his Lockwood type engine for sale on eBay. I don't know if they sputter or how or if they fuse on some white aluminum oxide or something, but it was different, made it look like china white.
Some metal alloys create a neat rainbow of dazzling colors from the heat, my titanium tubing looks like motor oil in a water puddle, lots o' prismatic hues. I suppose some stainless steels would do that too. Vanadium and iridium salts also have this quality, (iridescence), those bettle wing colors.
Mark

sadbadger

yea mark thats what im looking for too

Post by sadbadger » Thu May 13, 2004 3:57 am

Mark wrote:I kind of liked that powder coating look that one fellow had on his Lockwood type engine for sale on eBay. I don't know if they sputter or how or if they fuse on some white aluminum oxide or something, but it was different, made it look like china white.
Some metal alloys create a neat rainbow of dazzling colors from the heat, my titanium tubing looks like motor oil in a water puddle, lots o' prismatic hues. I suppose some stainless steels would do that too. Vanadium and iridium salts also have this quality, (iridescence), those bettle wing colors.
Mark
MY JET HAS A STAINLESS COMBUSTION CHAMBER THAT I BELIEVE IS SOME SORT OF STAINLESS MIXED WITH NICKEL..IT WAS ACTUALLY A MODERN VASE IN ITS FORMER LIFE WITH A VERY CHROME LIKE APPEARENCE....NOW AFTER BEING RUN RED HOT..IT HAS A REALLY GREAT LOOKING BLACK SHINY OIL ON DIRTY WATER LOOK...IF MY WHOLE JET WAS THIS COLOR ID BE VERY HAPPY...MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT THE TAILPIPE IS NOT FROM THE SAME STEEL/NICKEL MATERIAL,IT IS MADE FROM REGULAR STAINLESS SO IT NOW HAS THE UGLY GRAY COLOR...MAYBE ILL REPLACE THE TAILPIPE WITH TITANIUM LIKE YOURS SO MY JET WILL BE UNIFORM OIL/BLACK RAINBOW COLOR...MY ONLY CONCERN IS I THOUGHT I READ SOMEWHERE THAT TITANIUM IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE USED IN HIGH TEMP APPLICATIONS???IS THIS TRUE?..ID LIKE TO HEAR MORE ABOUT WHAT YOU MENTIONED BEFORE ,ABOUT THE POWDER COATING OF ALUMINUM OR SOMETHING,,,IV NEVER SEEN ANY KIND OF PULSE JET PAINTED ,THAT WOULD STAND UP TO THE HEAT...ID LOVE TO DO SOMETHING WITH MY JET TO MAKE IT MORE PRESENTABLE..IM OPEN TO ANY IDEAS,,WHAT IS THE NAME OF THIS POWDER COATING IF ANYONE KNOWS..IV SEEN SPRAYPAINT AT HOME DEPOT THATS SUPPOSED TO BE FOR PAINTING THE INSIDE OF BBQ'S...BUT IF I RECALL CORRECTLY IT SAID UP TO 1200 DEG F. ...WHAT IS THE TYPICAL PULSE JET TEMP?? AND BY THE WAY...IV ONLY SEEN ONE RUN ON THE GROUND....WHEN THEY ARE FLYING THROUGH THE AIR MOUNTED ON SOME SORT OF RC PLANE,DO THEY STILL GLOW RED HOT??OR DOES THE AIR COOL THE JET DOWN WHEN FLYING,???HOW FAST DO RC PULSE JETS FLY??2OOMPH??

marksteamnz
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by marksteamnz » Thu May 13, 2004 7:35 pm

I THOUGHT I READ SOMEWHERE THAT TITANIUM IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE USED IN HIGH TEMP APPLICATIONS???IS THIS TRUE?..

No
SR71 Worlds fastest plane (still) = Titanium construction.

Bright glowing red hot = 800deg C approximately

Google is a wonderful tool but you have to use it.
Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz

Mark

Re: can anything be done to prevent a used jet from loosing

Post by Mark » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:01 pm

[I THOUGHT I READ SOMEWHERE THAT TITANIUM IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE USED IN HIGH TEMP APPLICATIONS???IS THIS TRUE?.. ]

{No SR71 Worlds fastest plane (still) = Titanium construction.
Bright glowing red hot = 800deg C approximately
Google is a wonderful tool but you have to use it.}

The third aircraft, an SR-71A that was given the designation YF-12C for administrative purposes, soon took its place.
From February 1972 until July 1973, one YF-12A was used for heat loads testing in Dryden's High Temperature Loads Laboratory (now the Thermostructures Research Facility). The resulting data helped improve theoretical prediction methods and computer models dealing with structural loads, materials, and heat distribution at up to 800 °F, the surface temperatures reached during sustained speeds of Mach 3.
https://www.nasa.gov/centers/armstrong/ ... -DFRC.html

How hot does the aircraft get flying at Mach 3+? From 600 to 900+ degrees Fahrenheit on the airframe. Temperatures on the J-58 engine exhaust reach 3200 degrees.
http://www.wvi.com/~sr71webmaster/srqt~1.htm

http://howthingsfly.si.edu/ask-an-expla ... t-airframe
Presentation is Everything