I tried to cast aluminum last week

Moderator: Mike Everman

Johansson
Antipspambot question: 0

I tried to cast aluminum last week

Post by Johansson » Wed May 12, 2010 5:55 pm

I did an attempt to cast an aluminum block for my soon-to-be TV94 gas turbine, it was great fun even though the cast part came out less than perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxDDQwhhoU4

metiz
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: I tried to cast aluminum last week

Post by metiz » Wed May 12, 2010 6:22 pm

Holy aluminium casting, batman!

Try a vibrating surface plate to get rid of any airbubbles when casting. Also try preheating whatever you're casting in (is that a pie shape? :mrgreen: ) so the aluminium solidifies more evenly.
Quantify the world.

Johansson

Post by Johansson » Wed May 12, 2010 6:29 pm

Yup, a pie shape indeed. It will never be its old self again... :mrgreen:

Besides the things you´ve pointed out I should have guessed that the teflon coating in the pie shape would burn and cause cavities, but it was only a primary test and did indeed inspire us to make a more serious attempt later with an oil burning forge and better quality aluminum.
metiz wrote:Holy aluminium casting, batman!

Try a vibrating surface plate to get rid of any airbubbles when casting. Also try preheating whatever you're casting in (is that a pie shape? :mrgreen: ) so the aluminium solidifies more evenly.

hinote

Post by hinote » Wed May 12, 2010 8:12 pm

Johansson wrote: Besides the things you´ve pointed out I should have guessed that the teflon coating in the pie shape would burn and cause cavities, but it was only a primary test and did indeed inspire us to make a more serious attempt later with an oil burning forge and better quality aluminum
Be careful

At 680°F Teflon pans release at least six toxic gases, including two carcinogens, two global pollutants, and MFA, a chemical lethal to humans at low doses. At temperatures that DuPont scientists claim are reached on stovetop drip pans (1000°F), non-stick coatings break down to a chemical warfare agent known as PFIB, and a chemical analog of the WWII nerve gas phosgene.“

Johansson

Post by Johansson » Wed May 12, 2010 8:22 pm

hinote wrote:Be careful

At 680°F Teflon pans release at least six toxic gases, including two carcinogens, two global pollutants, and MFA, a chemical lethal to humans at low doses. At temperatures that DuPont scientists claim are reached on stovetop drip pans (1000°F), non-stick coatings break down to a chemical warfare agent known as PFIB, and a chemical analog of the WWII nerve gas phosgene.“
Not bad for a frying pan! :shock:

Fortunately we were doing the casting outside on a windy day so we were more likely to suffocate from the nearby cows farting than from the teflon gasses.

tufty

Post by tufty » Sat May 15, 2010 12:06 pm

Johansson wrote:…make a more serious attempt later with an oil burning forge…
Bet you wish you hadn't flattened that big pulsejet now, eh? Heat and vibration, all in one convenient & efficient package :)

metiz

Post by metiz » Sat May 15, 2010 12:52 pm

Rofl you read my mind :P
Quantify the world.

Johansson

Post by Johansson » Sat May 15, 2010 3:15 pm

tufty wrote:Bet you wish you hadn't flattened that big pulsejet now, eh? Heat and vibration, all in one convenient & efficient package :)
If it actually ran it would have been the best heater ever, but at the time when I crunched it it wasn´t even capable of toasting bread... :mrgreen:

teresap989

Post by teresap989 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:11 am

tufty wrote:
Johansson wrote:…make a more serious attempt later with an oil burning forge…
Bet you wish you hadn't flattened that big pulsejet now, eh? Heat and vibration, all in one convenient & efficient package :)
The old thread was a re-incarnation of several threads killed before it.