Tale of Two Stingers

Moderator: Mike Everman

larry cottrill
Antipspambot question: 0

Tale of Two Stingers

Post by larry cottrill » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:59 pm

Two new experimental fuel pipes, as shown in the macro photo below. My hypothesis is that it would be good to have fairly free flow around a spherical obstruction, to wit:

When air (or propane, presumably) flows around a spherical solid body, the flow divides on the upstream side very smoothly, flows around the sphere and rejoins in a fairly small turbulent region behind. This turbulent region can extend several diameters behind the sphere before is evens out. There is also a low pressure region centered just behind the maximum diameter of the sphere. So, if the low is a narrow stream of propane in the midst of free air, the air should be drawn into the stream all around the sphere in the low pressure region, and should be well mixed by the trailing turbulent flow. This is (almost) idealized by the left-hand example in the photo.

The right-hand example is an attempt to push the mixing action to the limit. The trailing half (almost) of the sphere is ground away to a flat plane. As the propane stream reaches its maximum velocity (and lowest pressure) it "spills over" the sharp edge into a large, highly chaotic region where mixing with the induced air should be excellent.

What do you think? The examples shown are 3/8-inch OD steel brake line with 3/8-inch steel balls welded in.

L Cottrill
Attachments
2010-01-27_003_crop1_small.jpg
Two new fuel stingers, close up: On the left, moderate
turbulence after unrestricted flow; on the right, fairly high
turbulence after somewhat restricted flow.
Photo Copyright 2010 Larry Cottrill

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: Tale of Two Stingers

Post by Viv » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:18 pm

Hi Larry

That's a very interesting idea you have there, that may have some legs on it too I think

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

metiz
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by metiz » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:43 pm

Well one easy way to find out: hook up a propane tank and let 'er rip!
Quantify the world.

larry cottrill
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by larry cottrill » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:37 am

Thanks, Viv! I love the beauty of simple things.

metiz, I will do that, indeed. I'm just waiting for the temps to come back up around freezing. Ha.

L Cottrill