vid3:
Attachments
c.wmv
(1.64 MiB) Downloaded 1861 times

PyroJoe
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: Basic Gasifier Build

Post by PyroJoe » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:51 pm

These were recorded during the idle mode. The mods seem to have strengthened the idle mode, but haven't been able to achieve the strong mode. After observing several runs like this one, would have to agree with Viv that the flame tube is acting like a gas spring. Noticed the cycle dies when a channel/hole is burned through the fuel charge.

Also with the bigger pipe there were some strong pops and bangs, that were absent in these runs. Probably should go back to the larger pipe and keep tweaking.
Joe

Happy new year to all! :D

Rossco
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Rossco » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:17 am

Hey Pyro,
Ive been playing with a prototype now too.
Only had enough time to build and fire it up once. Many issues to work on yet, although it certainly gets into a strong resonant mode.
The vid has no sound.... and nearly completely useless for showing anything, but i had to throw something in with yours.
There is a recording from a proper video recorder although i can't get it for a while.
You have to look carefully for the pulling and resonant burn in this vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2zLifO6F1A

Rossco
Big, fast, broke, fix it, bigger, better, faster...
[url=callto://aussierossco]Image[/url]

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:21 pm

Thanks for sharing Rossco,
So far mine has been a little unpredictable, but loads of fun. Hope I can catch the strong mode on camera. I doubt I can achieve full lock in mode as the fuel charge represents considerable resistance to flow. More questions than answers. ha
Joe

(vturbine, you still following along?)

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:54 pm

Little under the weather lately, (fighting off a foot soldier under command of Captain Trips)

Cold front pushed through, froze things up pretty good for two nights, plays hell on the arthritis.
Did manage to build a new intake pipe that is approx. .25" longer, this should increase the fuel bed, and make it less likely to blow a hole through. The larger pipe is in place and everything is ready for the next run.

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:55 pm

Hole in the flame tube, yammmit... Flipped it over from the last run and didn't notice a hole that had been burnt through the side wall on the seam. Will be building a thicker gauge FT, with stainless at the lower section. It still had a strong idle mode, and at times would resonate weakly with an open FT.

As a coincidence had a 3" mandrel used for the other build I've started, so will use it as double duty to construct the new FT.
Joe

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:57 pm

Welded the stainless and noticed it shrunk considerably, hindsight being 20/20 should have annealed the stuff before cutting. Stainless is scarce commodity here, most scrap yards have a quota to their main buyers, and won't sell to joe public. Oh well, using a 16 guage mild steel for now, pounded out the main section on the mandrel, a little more welding and grinding and will be ready for assembly.
Joe

Viv

Post by Viv » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:05 pm

Hi Mate

Sounds like your having some materials fun there ;-) I noticed this article on wood gas cars and thought it may interest you if you haven't seen it already, its over on Low tech magazine http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2010/01/ ... -cars.html Surprising how much engineering effort has gone in to some of the gasifiers but I particularly like the 78 Lincoln Continental with a trailer! like you have a car as big as a whale so what do you do but make it bigger ;-)

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:32 pm

Ha, it needs a steam whistle and caboose!
Joe

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:08 pm

Was concerned that one of the previous runs may have over heated the camera, so went and snapped a few photos of Wuisache Mesquite the primary wood source that has fueled the gasifier/pulse combustor. The pictures turned out somewhat hit and miss, about 50% where blurry, probably do to my unsteady hand. It is winter here, and the tree has shed all the leaves and put on a healthy plumage of thorns, keeping the deer at bay (some over 2" in length). I like the Honey Mesquites better (producing a sweet bean that tastes about like cereal), but Wuisache are hardened plants and fix nitrogen to the soil.

There has been some history of brush removal in these parts, I like the rotobeaters that have started to show up lately.

http://reveg-catalog.tamu.edu/04-Mechanical.htm

They are more selective in controlling the underbrush, yet leaving selected larger trees and selected growth. Most ranches still opt for the "level everything" approach.
Attachments
DCFC0031.jpg
DCFC0030.jpg
battle.JPG

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:27 pm

Will make one final run with this unit then will need to improve the design.

Improved Helmholtz volume, better arrangement of tail pipes, and more compact unit are forthcoming. May try a valved intake if I can better understand valve design.
Joe

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:50 pm

After some time to reflect, I think the problems with moisture can be overcome by two factors:

First, is most likely the flow rate of air and gases through the system.

Second is temperature, it appears that higher temperatures tend to lessen the problems of excess moisture.

With about three months before the cool season starts, its time to scrounge for stainless steel and scratch around at a improved design. This one has a better Helmholtz volume, that is less "pancaked" than the previous. Also the exhaust/draft pipes ascend on each side of the flame tube, allowing heat exchange to the fuel. A expansion in the draft pipes will reduce the amount of exhaust from the intake, which was considerable in the previous version.
Attachments
impgas1.JPG

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:34 pm

Looking at adding a refractory cement insert. Better lower resonant volume shape. Cavity added in the refractory above the inlet to allow for constant fuel feed. Fuel feed tube diameter decreased slightly.
Attachments
g7b.JPG

Viv

Post by Viv » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:58 pm

Hi Joe

Will you continue to add fuel in stick form or go for chipping it this time to make it more uniform?

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:22 pm

Hi Viv
My hope is that it will run with chips and pellets as well as sticks. Will need to give it a try if this configuration works.

Joe