Can you spin metal on a regular metal lathe?

Moderator: Mike Everman

Zippiot
Antipspambot question: 0

Can you spin metal on a regular metal lathe?

Post by Zippiot » Sat May 16, 2009 4:55 am

Subject kinda states it, was wondering if I can use my hobby lathe to spin small pieces without major modifications.
Sailing Student- How do I know if my life jacket is tight enough?
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: Can you spin metal on a regular metal lathe?

Post by Viv » Sat May 16, 2009 1:34 pm

Zippiot wrote:Subject kinda states it, was wondering if I can use my hobby lathe to spin small pieces without major modifications.

Yes, do a google search for metal spinning and you will find a few people offering DVDs on the subject, I advise you to get one of those to set your self up.

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Sat May 16, 2009 5:40 pm

Their lathe looks like more than just a toolrest and special set of tools...hmm
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

Viv

Post by Viv » Sat May 16, 2009 6:10 pm

Hi Zippoit

Yes you do need a special set of tools and yes you do then need a special tool post to lever against, depending on the metal you are spinning it can take a lot of force, pewter and silver being easy and work hardening grades of stainless very difficult and requiring roller tools and not the more normal and cheaper plain tools, aluminum is some were in the middle again depending on grade (alloy)

Do a search on here and you will see me metal spinning a nose cone for a Gluhareff pressure jet from 321 grade stainless, originally I was trained in England to do metal metal spinning and demonstrate/teach it. upgrading my skills to stainless was more to do with learning the metal rather than the spinning but I would not recommend it as your first project.

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Sat May 16, 2009 6:20 pm

Thank you, good advice.

Im trying to do some copper work and the video I watched where they worked on copper involved a big torch keeping the metal hot while they spun it at low speed. I cant find a chart to show what rpm to use for what metal but first steps first find some tools and make the toolrest.
I wonder how much force it actually takes, such as will I be able to bolt the toolrest to the lathe or do I need to use the ways where the metal cutting tools rest. (its been a while since metalshop sorry for any wrong terms)
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

Viv

Post by Viv » Sat May 16, 2009 7:44 pm

Hi Z

Copper is relatively easy but forget keeping it hot while spinning its not needed, also it does not take a lot of force at the handle, the tool post is the fulcrum point you lever against, the short distance to the workplace gives you the force needed to flow the metal.

And yes I do mean flow, the metal moves like plastic rather than bending, keep that in mind as you work or you will create thin spots in your work.

The tool tips are hard and highly polished, use a lubricant to prevent galling (another word to look up)

Work hardening is your enemy with any metal being spun, the torch is to anneal the metal and soften it so you can work it again, this is another subject so worth looking it up and how to do it properly, its not done on the lathe! thats just a waste of time.

Viv

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Viv

Post by Viv » Sat May 16, 2009 7:51 pm

Hi Z

Heres a link to some one I know for metal spinning, http://www.metalspinningworkshop.com/ he is a really nice guy and does some DVD courses

http://www.metalspinningworkshop.com/MovieClipTwo.html

Viv

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Sat May 16, 2009 8:06 pm

Thank you, ive seen the site but will need to order the dvd.
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!