Radial Injectors update

Moderator: Mike Everman

GRIM
Antipspambot question: 0

Radial Injectors update

Post by GRIM » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:49 pm

Here is a variant on my washer injectors, similar to the washer deal but smaller,
It is actually two flat head cap screws , one of which has a small hole (2.5mm ) drilled down the centre , the ones I used were ¼” stainless , welded in two places to get the gap, then silver soldered to the copper pipe , this was just to test the theory , tig welded to ss pipe would be the way to go,

The engine in the video is NOT running but resonating, Interesting how the engine hums, this is a definite resonance 172 hz or thereabouts, I can feel the engine vibrating,

This is with the gas valve just cracked open and the injector just inside the cc , if I turn the gas up it stops humming, the dominant running frequency of this engine is 236 Hz ,
Maybe 172 hz is some submultiple , or just the natural harmonic frequency of the tailpipe or something ,
Attachments
hum.wmv
(1.76 MiB) Downloaded 676 times
csk cap inj.wmv
(1.83 MiB) Downloaded 676 times
F__capscrew injector_capscrew injector.pdf
(9.6 KiB) Downloaded 378 times
IMG_0277.jpg

metiz
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: Radial Injectors update

Post by metiz » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:20 pm

2nd video - the cops are already looking for you :)

that's a very nice flame on that vid. Nicely spread out. Good work.
Quantify the world.

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:42 pm

Yes, I agree -- that looks like a really good performer.

L Cottrill

GRIM

Post by GRIM » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:13 pm

Thanks for the comments ,
There is a a PDF there in amongst the videos in the previous post that shows how i made this , I see that it has not been downloaded yet , it looks like a link to the photo ,
It is really very simple, the only machining necessary is the hole down the centre of the screw , this could be done with a drill press ,

I have another engine that has the washer injectors , and I fired it up the other day , and after my recent exploits with stingers, I realized just how good the throttle range was , will run down really low ,

A note might be that these style injectors only seem to work well when the inlet is in the centre of a round plate , 180 style , and the injector is actually JUST INSIDE the CC

I have the suspicion that the high speed radial gas flow is creating a kind of diaphragm or plug effect there just inside the cc /inlet transition, and another thing is that one is not shooting gas directly at the exhaust ,