how do you flare a pipe?

Moderator: Mike Everman

Esser

how do you flare a pipe?

Post by Esser » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:31 pm

Just a simple question... How do you flare the end of a pipe? Like on the intake pipe... So the jet can suck in the air more easily. I just made a quick 3D model of what i mean :P Image You can press the image so it will be bigger.

metiz
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by metiz » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:31 pm

Get a piece of pipe that has a similair diameter of the pipe you want to flair. put your pipe in a vice with the end that needs to be flared sticking out of the side of the vice about 3 cm. get your similar tube and hold it against the pipe in your vice at an angle - and then start hitting the living shit out of it, slowly rotating the pipe as you go

alternatively, get a piece of thick rectangular steel, like a strip of 1 cmm then hold one of the short edges aginst is at a similar angle as you would with the pipe and slowly start hitting it until it starts bending out. Rotate as you go
Attachments
flare.JPG
(24.86 KiB) Downloaded 195 times
Quantify the world.

Esser

Post by Esser » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:35 pm

Thank you :D That's a great idea! But the jet will suck the air in more easily if the intake is flared, right? :)

Johansson
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Johansson » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:51 pm

If you use a propane torch to heat the metal red hot it will be much easier to flare.

Esser

Post by Esser » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:06 pm

Johansson wrote:If you use a propane torch to heat the metal red hot it will be much easier to flare.
Yes, i'm going to do that too :)

metiz
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by metiz » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:30 pm

Esser wrote: But the jet will suck the air in more easily if the intake is flared, right? :)
iy you don't flare it, it might nog even run at all - if you do you might even hit full throttle! FLARE FLARE FLARE :P
Quantify the world.

Esser

Post by Esser » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:45 pm

metiz wrote:
Esser wrote: But the jet will suck the air in more easily if the intake is flared, right? :)
iy you don't flare it, it might nog even run at all - if you do you might even hit full throttle! FLARE FLARE FLARE :P
That's what i heard too :) And i think that's the problem with my pulsejet. It will almost run when i remove the compressor. It will run on VERY little pressure from the comressor. So i think it's gonna work when i flare the pipe :D Should i flare the exhaust pipe too?

Esser

Post by Esser » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:29 pm

I've flared it now :) but i had to cut it off the jet so i could hold it in the right way and stuff like that. But i can't borrow some welding gear right now and i haven't tested it. But i just have a question. Does it matter that it isn't a perfekt flare all the way arround? It's got the basic shape pretty nice, but since i did it with a hammer and a small steel thing it isn't totally perfekt. Is that going to have an effect?

Johansson
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Johansson » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:31 pm

No, the flare doesen´t have to be perfect.