Odd Metal jars

Moderator: Mike Everman

PyroJoe
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by PyroJoe » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:07 pm

Cleaned the M.T.S. chamber last night. For those who are new to the M.T.S., it is a metal chamber likened to "Marks Tall, Skinny" jam jars. I credit many advancements to this design. Hence, before this time I was using short, fussy jars plagued with inconsistent short runs. The chamber dimensions are 3" diameter 6.125" tall. The opening is usually slightly larger than 7/16" diameter. I have a surplus of oxygen canisters and used one to make this chamber.

A new gasket was fabricated and installed (1/16" cork with rubber binder). Removed the inner ring, reassembled to check the fit. All is good. The opening was filed smooth using a round file to smooth the drill cut. At this point it was time to test the opening. I set it vertical and ran it three times. Each time I would let it set about 30 minutes to an hour. Each time it ran longer than the time before. The third time it ran until the methanol was depleted.

30 minutes later I refueled and placed the chamber on it's side. The upper platform keeps the chamber opening tilted up at a 9 degree angle above horizontal. I used a butane lighter for ignition, and it started the same as it starts vertical. The cycles slowed at about the 8-10 second mark. (This is where the four fin and smashed flat jars usually stop). I expected the thing to stop. Instead it started cycling normally until there was no fuel left about 45 seconds. ha

I repeated this 3 more times. Each time it ran about the same as it would vertical, except with that slow dip in cycling around the 8-10 second mark.

It was getting late but I made one test run at about 5 degrees above horizontal. It didn't appear to change from the 9 degree angle. It is important to note that these runs were made without the internal ring.

Here is a short video of a side run. It was the last run of the night.
Attachments
horizontal.wmv
(327.36 KiB) Downloaded 2749 times

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:46 pm

Should I start a new post for side running jars?

tufty
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by tufty » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:29 pm

Nah, keep it here. Good stuff, btw.

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:07 pm

Thanks, I'll keep posting here.

It is a mystery why this type will run on it's side. I will be watching similar glass jars run tonight.

Mark

Odd metal jars

Post by Mark » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:38 pm

Not bad there Joe! I guess now you could work on making it run for as long as you command. What I think would be neat is to make a light weight one with wheels and have it move along the floor. It could be a small toy. But even better and perhaps a riot of attention-gettting praise would be to build one that runs upside-down and lifts off gently into the air. That's probably a lot of work though, but a lot of fun to dream about for me.
For about 5 days in a row I went out to my piglet snorkeler in the yard and put my hand over the snorkel and tipped it upside-down to coat it with methanol and then lit it with my torch. Every time it reved up briefly and then died. I would then put a loose fitting cap over the snorkel and leave if for the next day's try, the cap allowing enough air to freshen it. Finally, just yesterday it caught and ran the tank out of fuel. Snorkeling and intermittent popping, it was such a delight to listen to for about 3 minutes. I didn't put is as much methanol as I could have. It really cheered me up though, when it runs it just seems so mysterious, a staccato of almost explosions or backfiring blended in with a steady purring. It almost seems as if the sharp pops are happening outside the engine, above the snorkel, in the air, like far away fireworks in the sky. The popping also echoes/reflects off the house making the snorkeler sound like its popping nuclear popcorn. You know how when you are popping popcorn, you will hear a sudden/unexpected barrage/surge of rapid fire activity in the bag, it's an interesting crackling of the air, cycling of that over and over mixed in with a fast idling Harley Davidson sound. It's like it wants to go into a full gallop if given a little alteration. I felt so proud. ha
Presentation is Everything

Mark

Re: Odd quartz jar

Post by Mark » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:22 pm

Mark wrote:I was thinking for a sideways jar something like this might do. Looks like you could pump in some propane or maybe even methanol down the center tube and "bubble it" out those three spokes in the bottom. But the two other holes look a little restrictive, if you get my drift. Still, the quartz jar might be capable of being altered or by some chance the two side "exhaust" ports may just be large enough. I mean it teases me, this jar has been listed for quite some time. You wouldn't have to worry about it cracking from the heat probably, (if indeed it is made of pure quartz). Nor would you have to worry about melting it, I've blowtorched some quartz tubing and it didn't phase it even though glowing red hot, like those electric quartz heaters you see that fire up rather quickly.
http://tinyurl.com/33voxc
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ju_h-ml5cOo
I asked the seller how he knew his quartz bubbler was made of quartz.

"Hello
No, there is nothing on the unit. We believed it was Quartz but now you have us questioning that decision. Sorry we do not know the correct answer now.
Thanks
Bob
- obtainium! Did this answer your question? If not, let the seller know. "

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:44 pm

The glass jars haven't revealed much. I will run them again this evening. Something with the vapor is allowing it to run. (Maybe the heat from the Flame cone generates enough heat?) When they finally quit I see the vapor condensate quickly to the sides of the glass jar.

It would be neat to suspend a side runner made from aluminum soda can to a number of helium balloons. a 40 second put-put balloon. ha

Neutral bouyant until the fuel is decreased. The humidity is finally low enough here that they can be run outside.

Need better skills with the J/B weld. The walls of the aluminum cans are to smooth for the weld and they often blow a seam. Maybe sanding or a chemical etching in the future.

tufty

Post by tufty » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:45 pm

PyroJoe wrote:It would be neat to suspend a side runner made from aluminum soda can to a number of helium balloons. a 40 second put-put balloon. ha
You are Mark, and I claim my $5

Mark

Odd dirigible jam jars

Post by Mark » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:21 pm

That's genuinely very funny Tufty. ha
I could easily imagine a dirigible jam jar flying in some picturesque storybook taking place in Pulsejet Land. What to call it though? The characters could rely on their jam jar dirigible to travel to strange and wondrous places. Maybe write a children's book.
The craft might collect hot air from the jam jar and lift itself with that too instead of helium. Maybe make a Logan jam jar and use half the exhaust for heating and the other for thrust.
But you could also make a movie about this little story, and earn millions. ha
Perhaps instead of a boy letting go of childhood dreams, it could be a story of dreams realized. They could use their jam jar for cooking and other noble stuff. Remember when you were a kid and caught bees inside a jar and listened to them buzz? Or perchance those iridescent green and blue dragonflies? Jam jars are my magic dragon.

"Little jackie paper loved that rascal puff,
And brought him strings and sealing wax and other fancy stuff. oh"
http://youtube.com/watch?v=n4W14jLmADU

pezman

Little jackie paper loved that rascal puff

Post by pezman » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:54 pm

Is there some coded sub-text here suggesting some altogether-different-unspoken-alternative-purpose-but-still-metaphorically-involving-flying kind of jam-jar?

A pj-powered dirigible would be cool. Using the considerable other-wise-wasted(?)-heat as a way to loft your balloon is very clever indeed.

Mark

Odd flying jars

Post by Mark » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:18 pm

I often took off with my neighbor/landlord who flew a hot air balloon as an advertising business. He had a Rosie O'Grady's logo on the balloon. I'd also hold a sign up he towed as he took off in a Stearman painted in a 7 UP logo. Other times he did smoke/sky writing. Propane burners/regenerative heaters work pretty well for lofting a balloon too and aren't so loud, (relatively). I know many have thought of pulsejet inflation, but you really don't need all that noise to do the same thing.
For a small toy however, that would be practical. Practical because it would be darn fun.

Mark

Odd metal jars

Post by Mark » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:53 am

An aluminun soda can would collapse on the negative pressure phase, maybe you could build little reinforcement rings to keep the walls from caving in.
I have a little 3.5 inch by 5 inch stainless steel flask that jam jars for about 3 seconds and then chokes, it runs very fast but jerky. Just another odd metal jar. It's very flat too as you can sort of guess. I don't know how to keep it from flaming out though. I've tried snorkels and then it really buckles/oil cans from the sides even though it is seemingly a stiff drink flask. ha
It threads to/matches a 3/8 inch pipe thread nicely.
Attachments
Allow me to pour part two.jpg
Allow me to pour part two.jpg (60.48 KiB) Viewed 9597 times

Mark

Odd metal jars

Post by Mark » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:01 am

I bought this round stainless steel flask a long time ago and it is better at jam jarring that the hip flask. Pictured with it are two stiff but very light aluminum jam jar wannabes. Yawn city.
Attachments
Stainless steel round flask and two aluminum vessels.jpg
Stainless steel round flask and two aluminum vessels.jpg (82.88 KiB) Viewed 9589 times

Mark

Odd metal jars

Post by Mark » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:22 am

You never know what shape will have the right balance. What have you learned today grasshopper?
http://tinyurl.com/34ds9g

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:20 pm

Sparks were flying last All Hallows Eve. Along with strange screechy noises and hammering from J. Jar Hill.

A new jar stumbled in from the darkness. 5 1/2" diameter and 11 1/4" tall it is a scary looking thing.

Grasshopper learned he can weld in complete darkness, yet it is tough to control warpage when you can't see the the warp develop. ha
Relief cut, hammer and anvil time.

Mark how do you light your larger jars?
Attachments
bjj2.JPG
bjj2.JPG (25.8 KiB) Viewed 9530 times