Odd Metal jars

Moderator: Mike Everman

PyroJoe
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: Odd Metal jars

Post by PyroJoe » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:30 pm

Hi,
Yes those first aluminum ones were typical thickness of Coke cans. Welcome to the forum. :)

Mark van Werven
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Mark van Werven » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:31 pm

Hello. just had to reply, Metiz asked me friendly. (friendly as in, didn't pull the trigger :D )

I have a similar jar, the thing works fine on methanol, on spirit it didn't work at first.

But now, i got a run, about 5 mins. With spirit to start it, 7ml.

I immediatly turned the valve open, to the correct amount. It revved up, and got nice and steamy.

Anyway, the valve is simple, i use a small gas stove, with piercable (no valve) gas-cans, there is a on-off type valve on it, and a regulating "sproeier", (a screw with a small hole in it. very small, the size is 24/100st of a millimeter. it's also found in 2 tact engine carburators, It has M5 type thread on it.)

On the on-off valve, there is 1/8" thread, outside, and onto that screws a valve, in dutch they call it a "Smoorventiel", in english, loosely translated, a "flow-restricting valve.",

That valve is for pneumatic use, i got it at a pneumatics/ hydraulics store for EUR 16. it has flow to both sides, and is finely regulatable.
The valve itself is fairly simple, just set it to the correct amount of pressure/ flame length, and use the on-off valve to conrol the flow.

That valve has some peaks, but it is very simple to flatten the peaks out, by tuning the flame. Just light the injector, and control the flow. My flame length is roughly hand width, to hand length, some experimenting needed.

I start the pot by adding some spirit, however i have gotten a 20 second run just using gas. After the spirit is added, use a small piëzo-ignited burner to blow in some gas, that will give it a bigger starting flame. then start it up, and twist the gas valve open, slowly. if it dies out, use a length of pipe to blow in some fresh air. For that, i use a pvc conduit pipe, cut to an angle, and i take a deep breath and immediatly blow in the pipe, blowing all the burnt vapours out.

If you blow directly in he pot, you can burn your face, because there is a little risk in late burning fuel. I had my eyebrows slightly shortened thanks to that.

Anyway, today more testing, first have to sleep.

I will include some pics of the valve set up.

greetings, Mark van Werven.
10042011018.jpg
the setup
10042011019.jpg
the gas tank.
10042011021.jpg
the distances

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:38 pm

Good work and welcome,
A sensitive valve appears to be the bridge to success. Excellent setup.

Mike Everman
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Mike Everman » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:45 pm

yeah, a little camp stove valve is ideal.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

metiz

Post by metiz » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:18 pm

I've been messing around with the valve Nick send me and I can get the throttle to respond real nice now. The problem I'm struggling with now is that the propane doesn't mix well with air. I can only get the throttle up to about 60% of what the jar's capable off, with a LOT more gas then I'd expect to need. And I can't realy exceed 2 mins before it flames out. I'm thinking about adding a second injector to the other side and see how that works.
Quantify the world.

kevin lee

Post by kevin lee » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:59 pm

Pyrojoe - back on page 17 you attached a draft engine drawing to one of your posts. I'd like to build the draft engine but I don't understand the dimensions of the tubing used for the exhaust/inlet. Could your tell me the diameter please?

Thanks

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:07 pm

No worries,
That was a repost of GRIMs draft engine. The plans show 41mm diameter for both intake and exhaust.

(CLICK TO ENLARGE)
Attachments
GRIMSDRAFT.jpg
CLICK TO ENLARGE

kevin lee

Post by kevin lee » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:52 am

Thanks Joe 8)

It may take me a few weeks to start on something new. iam still fiddling with the first couple pjs

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:17 pm

No worries, we build when we can.
Here are a few dimensions that may help on constructing the ends of the CC.
Attachments
CCcaps.JPG
CLICK TO ENLARGE

kevin lee

Post by kevin lee » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:15 am

thanks joe 8) those dims will be very helpful, hopefully i can get on to it soon!

meanwhile, i have been playing with some jars and other things.

today i built a thermo-jam which i run on methylated spirits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypH1VfNY ... ature=plcp

please excuse the bad language :oops:

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:15 pm

No rush, those thermo jars are screamers. Its good to see another one running.

kevin lee

Post by kevin lee » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:35 pm

Glad you approve of the thermo jar :)

I built another but this ones slightly more technical. ill post pics soon but it needs more sealing too run. it pulsed 3 times very softly

kevin lee

Post by kevin lee » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:51 pm

I flipped the can bottom. Also cut the top off leaving a 26mm ish hole. The inlet is 26mm tube pinched at one end to hold the exhaust. The exhaust is only attached by the tacks you see in the pics. So it has a radial inlet port around the outside of the exhaust port. The inlet is 2.67 exhaust calibers long and the exhaust is 30inch for now.

Iam confident it'll run, I don't think the inlet is a great design but we will see :) the exhaust will be trimmed too suit and Iam tempted to play with expanded tails and augmentors.

Watch this space Haha

kevin lee

Post by kevin lee » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:40 pm

I have this random question that i have been searching for an answer.

if i had a thermo-jam or similar and hasd it mounted horizontal with the tail slightly pointing down into some water, just under the surface of the water, what will happen? will it still run?

maybe there isnt an answer until i try it out!! but someone has tried everything before already iam sure :lol:

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:18 pm

Far from everything has been tried, I say give it a go. My speculation is the water has a high enough density it would interfere with the pumping effect of the tail. Instead of the pressure from the CC driving the tail pump, it will dump the pressure out the intake. The first cycle would be good, but the following cycles would suffer from a clogged pump. If enough average positive pressure could be maintained in the exhaust and the first cycle cleared the pump, it may very well run fine!