Odd Metal jars

Moderator: Mike Everman

PyroJoe
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by PyroJoe » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:40 pm

Mark,
"There are spheres that I have run with the ports on opposite ends"

Where the ports located top and bottomish or on opposing side while the sphere was running?
How long would it run?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Odd metal jars

Post by Mark » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:03 pm

Well Joe, perhaps I should have said reved instead of run, for I only misted them with enough fuel to hear what they might do if fueled properly. I guess a good analogy would be my little Logan. For many years all I ever did was mist it and listen to it rev up from time to time, fascinated by the perkiness and instant starting.
But back to the sphere shape, you will have to design a fuel feed for a sphere for it won't be able to feed on a pool of methanol in the bottom very easily, even if you angle the ports horizontally. Pictured are two sphere contestants, the heavy nickel plated brass one is about 4 inches in diameter and it was once a piece of a lamp that also had some cone shapes and other geometric wanderings until reaching the apex of a light bulb. The brassy gold object is just aluminum, it came off of a ceiling lamp cord. Then I also had a float from toilet bowl made of copper that I toyed with.
I didn't bother taking a very good picture of them, they're just to give you an idea of the junk I toy with. ha
Perhaps someone has a better/bigger picture out of Reynt's book of this sphere with twin ports. My book is kind of weird. It's in three languages so it compromised on some of the picture sizes.
Attachments
Roundies.jpg
Roundies.jpg (40.07 KiB) Viewed 10327 times
Spheres with opposite ports.jpg
Spheres with opposite ports.jpg (185.13 KiB) Viewed 10330 times
Presentation is Everything

Mark

Odd metal jars

Post by Mark » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:30 pm

This and other modifications/random acts of pipeology will run very weaky, sounding something like a jam jar in volume/nature, for an extended amount of time, let's say 30 seconds at best, if held horizontally and filled with enough methanol for such time. If you gently jiggle it whilst running, it will often rev up faster and much louder, say 3 or 4 times louder than a jam jar, but also it is an erratic sound like the fueling is haywire. ha
I'm too tired to give it a proper presentation/scan/photograph in the best light. It might not be worth it. ha
Attachments
Jam jar with twin snorks let's say.jpg
Jam jar with twin snorks let's say.jpg (46.5 KiB) Viewed 10323 times
Last edited by Mark on Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark

Odd metal jars

Post by Mark » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:56 pm

This smallish jar is really peppy, and although I have given away many good jam jars, I could never find the strength to part with this one. It's makes a good impression, not an ordinary jam jar.
Attachments
Mild but zesty.jpg
Mild but zesty.jpg (47.47 KiB) Viewed 10314 times
Zesty.jpg
Zesty.jpg (74.09 KiB) Viewed 10315 times

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:05 pm

Thanks for sharing the info., it was just what I was looking for. Two stainless steel salad bowls welded or bolted together may prove fun.

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:11 pm

My picante jar cracked Tuesday eve:P

It only ran about 8-12 seconds and crack. The heat build up was very fast.

It has the record so far for the quickest crackup.

Classic, perimeter,... just above the fuel pool crack.

Mark

Odd metal jars

Post by Mark » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:49 pm

I had a very thick grapefruit jar crack in three seconds! I was told by a chemist that thin Pyrex is less likely to crack from heat stress that a thicker walled flask, I guess because it heats more evenly/quickly. The grapefruit jam jar was a jar about a quart size, they also sold mango slices and other fruits in them.
Far better than Pyrex though is thin quartz which can be red hot and dipped into water without cracking. I would like to have a thin quartz jam jar.
Here's some stuff I gathered from the kitchen department. The SS bowls are a good choice, for they have that flange all the way around them which gives them a good solid contact point to work with. Oh, the possibilities.
Attachments
Stainless Steel Bowls, Made in India, sold by Walmart.jpg
Stainless Steel Bowls, Made in India, sold by Walmart.jpg (106.17 KiB) Viewed 10289 times
The two halves principle of kitchen combustion.jpg
The two halves principle of kitchen combustion.jpg (40.85 KiB) Viewed 10295 times
Kitchen combustion 101.jpg
Kitchen combustion 101.jpg (62.92 KiB) Viewed 10299 times

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:14 pm

In many glass Jars there can be seen a "flame cone" during the combustion phase. The cone is at maximum width at the bottom of the jar. The top of the cone often reaches between the center of the jar and the lid, often extending just short from the bottom of the lid. It is still unknown whether the tip will actually squeeze through the lid opening.

The average flame cone angle for my better running jars (4" to 8") are approx. 22 degrees. My next project will be to build a CC matching a flame cone of 22 degrees.

As a side note I compared the FWE chamber and found it to be approx. 10 degrees.
Attachments
fljar.JPG
(18.82 KiB) Downloaded 144 times

pezman
Antipspambot question: 0

Ready made 22 degree flaming frappus?

Post by pezman » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:30 pm

PyroJoe wrote: The average flame cone angle for my better running jars (4" to 8") are approx. 22 degrees. My next project will be to build a CC matching a flame cone of 22 degrees.

As a side note I compared the FWE chamber and found it to be approx. 10 degrees.
As an aside-aside, the oil jars that Mark posted look to have conical shapes that are in that general neighborhood. The larger of the two seems to have a half-angle of about 11.3 degrees (this based on guestimated dimensions picked off the photo -- could be dead-wrong if the angle etc. is introducing too much distortion).

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:11 pm

That is a close match.

Mark

Odd metal jars

Post by Mark » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:35 pm

Here's a stainless steel soap dispenser and tri clover reducer, they both have that general slope to them for a cone jam jar trial I suppose.
Attachments
Soap dispenser.jpg
Soap dispenser.jpg (95.78 KiB) Viewed 10194 times
Soap dispenser and tri clover cone.jpg
Soap dispenser and tri clover cone.jpg (87.05 KiB) Viewed 10197 times

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:52 pm

Really likeing that tri clover reducer.

Mark

Odd metal jars

Post by Mark » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:05 pm

This is the inside of a small thermos, it tapers from the bottom towards the top, 2.7 inches reducing to 2.5 inches, at the very top, the neck is 1.8 inches in diameter. I kind of like stainless steel thermos bottles for the seams are very well made. This entire bottle length is 9.25 inches.
Attachments
Very slight taper.jpg
Very slight taper.jpg (80.43 KiB) Viewed 10176 times

Mark

Odd metal jars

Post by Mark » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:37 pm

I was watching Young Frankenstein the other day and at the beginning of the movie in the lecture room there is one of these Vollrath steel jars on the table, but with the lid on it.
Attachments
Allow Me To Pour.jpg
Allow Me To Pour.jpg (104.12 KiB) Viewed 10170 times

Mark

Odd metal jars

Post by Mark » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:35 pm

I think Reynst probably got it right with his very gradual, by small degrees constriction in the jar. The tri clover flare didn't run that great for me, maybe it was too tall/elongated for the width at the base. Or perhaps the cone of fire needs to have a wall of air in reserve to draw upon or work with in some way.
Still, those picante/taco sauce jars are kind of an offset hourglass shape and they run well. Maybe the choke acts as a rudimentary inner cone, as we have seen in Reynst's more advanced designs he puts a short, flared piece of metal inside the chamber. Or maybe they/the salsa jars just mix the fuel/air well.
The inner sleeve idea reminds me of a Project Squid report using schlieren photography to study the Dynajet. They found even as the hot gases were being ejected out the tailpipe, towards the end of the cycle, that flow was being choked down and inflow was occurring at the same time the hot "center gases" were still charging outbound.
When I watch my 2.5 gallon piglet snorkler run, it must be doing the same thing, as the outflow is rarified, the ambient air pressure chokes it somewhat and starts racing in and down the pipe toward the tank. So then I thought, (but never tried), maybe a short piece of pipe smaller in diameter designed somewhere into the exhaust/terminal end, might facilitate inflow and direct air traffic, getting a longer simultaneous flow event, in and out the entrance like busy bees.
Expanding on this is a linear valveless pulsejet that is sleeved inside a pipe open only at the tail end. I have the design in a book. Air flows in and finds annular side entrances along the length of this elaborate valveless pulsejet. Perhaps one could even try placing a Dynajet in a pipe open only at the tail end and see if it too could manage to draw in some fresh air from the new intake if the air would flow down deep enough to reach the head without upsetting the outflow, by channeling/partitioning the oxygen/good air, some for the reverse flow into the tailpipe and some to flow down the sides of the sleeved pipe to the reeded head.
Imagine having a yard full of pulsejets buried up to their tails and you hit the ignition remotely. It would be like gaseous volcanic eruptions. Although a yard full of buried jam jars would be entertaining too. ha Maybe a large platform of little jam jars secreted flush with the floor, simultaneously lit, would go over well at a Burning Man festival - a floor of buzzing bees, might make for an interesting chorus. Maybe start up a base section and then a higher frequency treble arrangement.
In a vague way, sleeving/casing the entire pulsejet is taking the Grunow Cap to the extreme, blocking all the wind, where only air is ingested from the rear in a headwind, like a Lockwood would. ha It dawns on me casing a SNECMA would be easy, but cooling might be a problem. And then I recall Eric's hot tub folded valveless; a boiling water/immersion heater is another good example of breathing from only one region.
Where is this all going you ask? Think of it as a dream you may have had. Not much makes any sense, but there is something there to work with, a Mobius Strip or free association of how forms form.

"The Möbius strip has several curious properties."

"A model of a Möbius strip can be constructed by joining the ends of a strip of paper with a single half-twist. A line drawn starting from the seam down the middle will meet back at the seam but at the "other side". If continued the line will meet the starting point and will be double the length of the original strip of paper. This single continuous curve demonstrates that the Möbius strip has only one boundary."

"If the strip is cut along the above line, instead of getting two separate strips, it becomes one long strip with two full twists in it, which is not a Möbius strip. This happens because the original strip only has one edge which is twice as long as the original strip of paper. Cutting creates a second independent edge, half of which was on each side of the knife or scissors. Cutting this new, longer, strip down the middle creates two strips wound around each other."

"Alternatively, cutting along a Möbius strip about a third of the way in from the edge, creates two strips: One is a thinner Möbius strip - it is the center third of the original strip. The other is a long strip with two full twists in it - this is a neighborhood of the edge of the original strip."

"Other interesting combinations of strips can be obtained by making Möbius strips with two or more half-twists in them instead of one. For example, a strip with three half-twists, when divided lengthwise, becomes a strip tied in a trefoil knot. Cutting a Möbius strip, giving it extra twists, and reconnecting the ends produces unexpected figures called paradromic rings."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%B6bius_strip
Attachments
Jacketed pulsejet extraordinaire.jpg
Jacketed pulsejet extraordinaire.jpg (94.9 KiB) Viewed 10111 times