Yes

Moderator: Mike Everman

Mike Kirney
Antipspambot question: 0

Yes

Post by Mike Kirney » Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:40 am

Thank God you happened along, Mark. I had a feeling my post was full of inaccuracies, but I knew I was pretty close so I put it up anyway. Is the cobalt naphthenate perhaps dissolved in styrene? I remember the purple stuff I used smelled rather like styrene.

marksteamnz
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: Yes

Post by marksteamnz » Sun Oct 19, 2003 11:54 pm

Mike Kirney wrote: Is the cobalt naphthenate perhaps dissolved in styrene? I remember the purple stuff I used smelled rather like styrene.
It may well be. It's was a long time ago but I was literally up to my arms in resin for about 2 years making synthetic marble benchs. So I only remember bits of it. The sharp whiff of styrene still brings it back.
Most resin you buy in small quantities is prepromoted ie the purple stuff is mixed in. But we were using bulk tankers and no one wants prepromoted because of the fear the shelf life will be reduced and your nice 500 gallon tank or 44 gallon drum will end up with unpourable goo in it due to bad stock control.
For home stuff (cars & boats) I use epoxy now. More reliable after sitting for months on a shelf
Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz