Rendered engine plans

Moderator: Mike Everman

Rossco
Antipspambot question: 0

Rendered engine plans

Post by Rossco » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:17 pm

Hi everyone,

Firstly, Forrest, i hope not to be intruding on your rendering projects here, it just seems there is a growing interest in this area.
This is probably thanks to you, good work buddy.

I have been doing up a sort of inventory of all the engines that i come across for the past several months, as well as many that are just in the design stage, of mine and others.

I have done most of the ones from the blue prints here, and am into a couple of turbines too. These make for much more interesting rendering challenges than the generally tubular valveless engines.

Would there be any engines that people are especially interested seeing rendered?

I also do plan sets, with 3d images sitting "on" them. This is fun, as it really makes a set of plans come to life, and you all know that there could be a lot of improvement to some of the plans out there!
For this reason, the more information on any engine the better.
Maybe i could do one up of the pipewood or something Mike? Just as an example, that could be very good for the newbies, as it would more firmly set in mind what the desired outcome is to be.

Then comes the technical ideas. What is the best format to present these? PowerPoint is pretty, although not all people have it.
PDF is, well, PDF! (if I must I must)
JPG images are messy, and get disorganised or missing pages, as bad as a manila folder would, carried and viewed a couple of times around the world.... what other options is there?

Finally there is disclosure issues. I will not be putting any sensitive information, or info collected in confidence up anywhere, although i would like to donate an inventory of common engines here (at some stage).
Where do the copyright regs come into this? If i build a plan set off someone else’s engine, or plans, what precautions could be taken not to upset anyone?
There are many plans floating around, mostly photocopied, and badly done. What could be implications of me using these, and moving them on in a different format? Is it then changed enough for them to be my own? not the engine (or whatever is the subject) but the layout and presentation its self? Grey areas there for sure!

Just let me know if you have anything, especially a unique engine or idea, that you would like done up for now. I shall take any non-disclosure if requested, seriously.
Be aware that I may not be able to deliver on the spot tho. I do have some sort of life, work, and family too. PJ's tend to intrude largely on all of them though! Ha.

Rossco
Big, fast, broke, fix it, bigger, better, faster...
[url=callto://aussierossco]Image[/url]

Rossco

Post by Rossco » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:31 am

This is something of an example of what im thinking of for a "3d, photo plan set".
Its only a very quick one, not that accurate, and with no info in there yet.
The drawing is just the base layout of that part... this is not set in stone, as i said, just an example.
For a plan, i would do section views, enlargement panels, dementioning and an easier to read layout of the drawings.
(This one is the stator of a kJ-66 micro turbine btw)

Rossco
Attachments
photo plan-forum.jpg
photo plan-forum.jpg (147.15 KiB) Viewed 4939 times
Big, fast, broke, fix it, bigger, better, faster...
[url=callto://aussierossco]Image[/url]

larry cottrill

Rendered Engine Plans

Post by larry cottrill » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:07 pm

Rossco, that example is realy, really nice! As to Copyright, etc. on the old engine designs, I think the trick to avoiding problems is to make sure you do the plans "in your own words", which in this case means in your own style. Avoid using the same layout and so on as any existing plans. The dimensions, materials, etc. are not the creative work of someone who just drew up a set of plans, although the drawing itself is (just like the location of details on a map, the mileage between towns, etc. aren't the creation of Rand-McNally, but their drawing IS).

On recent designs, you'll have to talk to the creator(s) and make sure you're not stepping on any toes by doing them. This is not so much a copyright issue as it is "competing" with someone who may want to sell plans of his own. You have my permission right here and now to do any of mine, as long as I you agree to let me use what you come up with, giving you proper credit as the artist - just let me know what you want your copyright notice to look like (i.e. it needs to show your legal name, not "Rossco", unless that's an actual business name you work under). (Hint: Do the latest Lady Anne first, like the one James built, but in polished stainless ;-)

Good luck!

L Cottrill