solarflux

Moderator: Mike Everman

thecheat
Antipspambot question: 0

solarflux

Post by thecheat » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:14 pm

Hey, I just got a 1lb can of solarflux. Do I just pour the methanol (the 7oz like it says) INTO the can? or, do you only make small batches of the stuff? If anyone's got any tips with this stuff, give 'em here! I want to get welding! :wink:
Lasers, jets, and helicopters HURAH!

El-Kablooey

Post by El-Kablooey » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:52 pm

WHOA!!!!!!!!!

Just make little batches! A tablespoon of the powder will cover ALOT of weld seam. Mix it thick, if it doesn't paint on well with a brush you have added too much methanol, jst add a little more solarflux to it.

Dave_G

Re:Solarflux

Post by Dave_G » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:52 pm

Also note:

Let it stand for several minutes AFTER mixing and BEFORE application. The manufacturer says that there is a chemical reaction that occurs between the methanol and the flux, and this waiting period is necessary to give the reaction time to occur.

On really hot days I cover it during this waiting period to prevent the methanol from evaporating too fast, otherwise it's not a problem to let it stand uncovered.

thecheat

Post by thecheat » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:48 am

Well... I decided mixing all that would be insane (I was impatient... waited 3 minutes after posting and decided to go figure it out... :D)

Anyways, I guessed that mixing a SMALL little cup of solarflux in a bit of excess methanol wouldn't hurt. Mixed it up and it works great! A little thin, but letting it sit with the top open fixed that.

Thanks for replying though, I appreciate the help!

PS: though... I assume, if you mixed the whole batch, couldn't you just cap it off and use it later? As long as you shake it...
Lasers, jets, and helicopters HURAH!