Baby kazoo fuel feed

Moderator: Mike Everman

Mike Everman
Antipspambot question: 0

Baby kazoo fuel feed

Post by Mike Everman » Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:25 pm

Thought I'd try to run the little 1" OD kazoo and was dying for a little metal tubeto feed it. Now the messy job of getting the ink out! My grandfather would have happily donated the guts of his pens if he were alive. He was in to gadgets.
Attachments
pen cartridges.jpg
pen cartridges.jpg (29.17 KiB) Viewed 9794 times
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

mk

Post by mk » Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:53 pm

"Medical" needles can do the job as well. There are many different IDs and lengths available.
mk

Stephen H
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Stephen H » Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:37 am

u can legally buy them ??? we cant over here i dont think... what about a bit of small 1 or 2mm tubing with a squashed end ?

Stephen

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:02 am

"Medical" needles can do the job as well. There are many different IDs and lengths available.
The only syringe needles I have are only about an inch long. These pen cartridges are about 4" long with a .25" usable end for tube attachment, and the skinny end is about .10" dia and .75" long. Need to drill some holes in that part and pinch or plug the end

Mark

Post by Mark » Sun Feb 22, 2004 4:49 am

I bought a box of colorful tiny carbide bits for my dremel that have very tiny diameters. They break easily if you force the drilling process. The ball point pens seem a good idea, the best ideas are to use common things found around the house or various stores.
Syringe needles would work fine too, I kind of shy away from too small of a diameter now after reading how easily they can become clogged or have deposits form inside along the walls. I bought some stainless steel capilllary tubing in sections of a foot long and only .010ths of an inch in diameter for the hole, and yes that is a tiny hole! You can just barely blow bubbles if you try to blow through the tubing submerging the opposite end under water.
Mark

Mark

Form and function

Post by Mark » Sun Feb 22, 2004 5:15 pm

I say if you are going to use medical needles, you might as well go all out and hang an IV bag full of fuel above your jet. What a hoot the picture would make of a jet running that way.
Mark

mk

Post by mk » Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:40 pm

Getting small tubing (~1mm or so) is a real problem here! My mother works at a hospital and she got some old (out of date) one-way needles, so I don't know exactly whether they can be bought everywhere, perhaps in a pharmacy.
Small tubing is optimal, of course, and I think that squeezed 2mm tubing can do the job as well.
The advantage of pen inlets is that you can get them everywhere and really cheap. Perhaps cutting the ball part is the easiest way, because there isn't needed any drilling, if I'm right (note: I haven't opened one till today).
mk

Mark

Pulsejet needles and shooting up, the tell-tale signs

Post by Mark » Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:42 pm

Mike Everman wrote:
The only syringe needles I have are only about an inch long. These pen cartridges are about 4" long with a .25" usable end for tube attachment, and the skinny end is about .10" dia and .75" long. Need to drill some holes in that part and pinch or plug the end
I think I have seen some micro tubing/ syringe tubing companies in the Thomas Register, I gave my brother a brochure from one of the companies I asked to send me a catalog. You can buy any length or diameter. What could be better, dirty needles to go with your pulsejet addiction.
http://www.microgroup.com/ Click/select the stock tubing in the tubing column for hypodermic stuff
This company looks like it would be fun to tour through too.
http://www.smallparts.com/components/

Mark

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:33 pm

yeah, I'm familiar with smallparts, used to buy from them. The "point" for me was "what can I find in the house?". I like the IV bag. Methanol with an ether push, STAT!!!

mk

Post by mk » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:27 pm

u can legally buy them ???
I asked a bit and found out:
At least in Germany you can buy needles in a pharmacy.
mk