NUDiS

Moderator: Mike Everman

leo
Antipspambot question: 0

Nudis

Post by leo » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:39 pm

Hallo Graham

I never could get NUDIS to run because I didn’t had a C:\ disk.
This happened during a reinstall of windows, everything else worked fine, so find it to much work to reinstall again for NUDIS alone.
Getting interested again after this post, I mounted a directory with the letter C.
And it runs but stops shortly after the IMPUT ALL command [nudis1.jpg].
Its makes; time.dat, wall.dat, v.dat, p.dat, and t,dat. But stop wit the message;[nudis2.jpg].

Fault 1004 during execution:
Through the application or through object define error

I translated it from Dutch, so I could be not so accurate.
I think maybe the problem is that I use a Dutch version of Exel.
Attachments
nudis1.jpg
nudis1.jpg (30.15 KiB) Viewed 17139 times
nudis2.jpg
nudis2.jpg (41.89 KiB) Viewed 17141 times

Irvine.J

Nudis Vs Vista

Post by Irvine.J » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:30 pm

Dear Graham,
Thank you kindly for your email, it was a great a help. I appreciate you sending me that information, cheers.

Rosco, I think I mentioned how to fix that vista problem?
Boot in command prompt, and type...
C:\>format C:\
LMAO!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear they infected your computer with the virus that is microsoft.
Goodluck dude! Also, when are you going to install some big fuel lines in that cc of yours?
James- Image KEEPING IT REAL SINCE 1982
http://pulseairdefence.com
[url=callto://project42labs]Image[/url]

Graham C. Williams

NUDiS

Post by Graham C. Williams » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:46 pm

Dear Leo.
Please try again but:
1) This time answer 'Ja' to Run Stand Alone.
Tell me what happens.

What version of Excell are you using (2000, 2003 or 2007)?

Are you getting this problem when testing the Type06 motor?

Can you tell me what the 3 buttons say in the checkbox (Nudis 2.jpg)?
Press the debug button. You should go to the Visual basic edit sheet. Open VB code sheet module 1 and tell me the line that it has stopped at.

regards
Graham.
Dark days nurture new
light. Productions begin.
Now open your eyes.

Graham C. Williams

More Thrust Notes

Post by Graham C. Williams » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:41 pm

This is the meat of my communication with James.

Graham.
Attachments
Dear James More Thrust Notes.doc
(38.5 KiB) Downloaded 845 times
Dark days nurture new
Now open your eyes.

toakreon

Post by toakreon » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:39 pm

Ah ... :( ... I don't have Excel ... I have Quatro Pro as my spreadsheet.

Don't think I can run NUDiS .....

John

leo

Re: NUDiS

Post by leo » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:31 pm

Graham C. Williams wrote: 1) This time answer 'Ja' to Run Stand Alone.
Tell me what happens.
Hallo Graham.
The problem is the same if I answer ‘Ja’ to Run stand Alone.
Graham C. Williams wrote: What version of Excell are you using (2000, 2003 or 2007)?
I used Exel 2000 and have now installed Exel 2003, but the problem is the same.
Graham C. Williams wrote: Are you getting this problem when testing the Type06 motor?
I get the same problem with all the example motors not just the Type06 motor.
Graham C. Williams wrote: Can you tell me what the 3 buttons say in the checkbox (Nudis 2.jpg)?
Press the debug button. You should go to the Visual basic edit sheet. Open VB code sheet module 1 and tell me the line that it has stopped at.
The buttons say ‘continue’ ‘stop’ and ‘debug’ the fourth one is the same in Dutch (help).
I don’t can open de ‘foutopsporing = debug’ button, because its not active, I don’t now how to activate it, maybe you protected it?.

I am almost sure the problem is that in use a dutch version of Exel.
I would like to try Nudis and compare it with Uflow, and try out my resonator motors.
When I blow it with a lot of air, it jumps to a second harmonic and is suddenly painful on the ears I would like to try model it in Nudis, and compare it with the result I have in uflow,
Especially because its possible to ad combustion.

Leo

Graham C. Williams

Post by Graham C. Williams » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:08 pm

Dear Leo.
I've sent you an unprotected version of the 3 Excell Books. It will probably make no difference but at least we'll be able to see what is causing the problem.
I can see from your second jpg that the Construction book has run correctly. The Analysis book has opened correctly and all the *.dat files seem to have loaded. From this I have an idea of what area of the programme is causing your problem but I need to be sure.

Let me know how you get on.
Regards
Graham.
Dark days nurture new
Now open your eyes.

Irvine.J

NUDiS Interpretation with Tuning

Post by Irvine.J » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:47 pm

Dear Graham,
Hope the pint hit the spot.

Ok, so heres a stab in the dark that maybe you could elaborate on.
In figure 1A, we are seeing the pressure wave on the cell of a reflector cone of no particular HPX varient. (there are like 40 in here so I can't remember which one.)

In regards to "Tuning" the engine...
Figure 1 A: Now the cell we are looking at is on the reflector cone. And we notice "Dips" in the wave. Would this be the reflector cones impact on the pressure wave form? If so, would one have to tune/move the reflector to adjust the "dip" or reflection time to a suitable point so its on the upcoming pressure "Stroke" of the wave, to co-incide with the original Lady Anne data that nudis presented?

I think this kind of analysis could be useful for forum members to know what their looking at when they go to "Tune" their engine in the digital world.

2A: These reflections on the return wave are of less amplitude, would i be correct in assuming they are reflections off the expanding cone from the CC? Is that assumption correct? Also, how much of a part did that play in your calculations for the original cones?

Would we also be correct in the assumption that in an ideally tuned engine of this type each reflection should be uniform, but on every 2nd cycle we have an increase in the amount of reflection occuring?

Once again, love your work guys.
Good stuff.
Regards,
James.

I've just discovered a particular mod to these engines that NUDiS says is breathing twice per cycle much like your much loved escopette, pretty cool eh Larry :D
Attachments
reflect1.PNG
reflect1.PNG (22.83 KiB) Viewed 16944 times
James- Image KEEPING IT REAL SINCE 1982
http://pulseairdefence.com
[url=callto://project42labs]Image[/url]

Graham C. Williams

A bit of a rush reply

Post by Graham C. Williams » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:31 pm

Dear James.
Not Like That at all I’m afraid.
With Reference to the FWEVIIIREV6 motor the design process went something like this:

1) Fix the O.A. length from the spark plug hole to the end of the tailpipe

2) That fixes the CC dia. With this motor I knew we would be taking this to the maximum I could without appreciable negative late-combustion effects. The F.W.E. combustor needs you to estimate an effective CC dia.

3) Work done by Mike Evermann indicates that there are certain best locations for the centre of combustion.(see else ware in this forum) Knowledge of these and the required effective CC dia set, within limits, the gradient of the F.W.E back cone and thus the approximate location of Pinch 1.

4) The induction pipe wants to be in the region of 17 to 18 % of the corrected length of the motor. By initially estimating the Exhaust dia and the induction dia this length can be entered.

5) The location of the maximum dia of the reflector section is roughly set by using again CofC combustion Theory. As can an estimate of the location for Pinch 2. Aksi considered are the halfangles of the conical sections and the effect these things can have upon gas flow.

6) Now follows a round of Quick Non combustion NUDiS runs. I’m looking initially for resonance and good breathing characteristics. The above lengths and diameters are changed a little at a time to get near to what looks like a reasonable motor with reasonable wave alignment. Following that I’m looking for a reasonable rebound pressure and high massflow. Exhaust dia and induction dia and length can be bettered at this stage.

7) Attention turns to the centre of combustion. Where is it and how does it move during the period of pressure rise. Small manipulations of the reflector cone section diameters and locations of pinches 1 and 2 all control the movement of sub waves and within limits allow you to manipulate the centre of combustion over time.

8) Now a set of full combustion runs. The object being to maximise thrust. Quickly you discover which parameters give you most joy in this respect.

9) My target Thrust was 4Lbs. By the end of this process I quickly achieved 4.9Lbs. You’ve got to stop somewhere.

10) All dimensions are changed one at a time by plus and minus 1mm. The effect on thrust being noted. This gives you an idea about whether the motor can be built or not. After all it’s no good having a motor that develops untold thrust if all dimensions have to be held within a few thousands of an mm and if you don’t thrust drops below the target. Such a motor is no good. For example changing Pinch1 dia by 2mm either side of 29mm produced a drop in thrust of about 0.5Lb.

11) I learnt with the original Type07fwe motor that exact static alignment of all waves does not maximise thrust under combustion conditions. This is to be expected really as no 2 combustion events are exactly the same. The waves over a number of cycles will show a range of amplitudes and timings

Graham.
Dark days nurture new
Now open your eyes.

Charles

Post by Charles » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:33 pm

Holy Macro!

I've just installed this software, and I have to say.. I'm way out of my depth ere, someone throw me a polo!
I best get reading, I'll start with the posts in this thread and see what happens. Or is their a manual on how to use this software that I've missed, but tbh.. only 2mins ago installed and got it up and running :)

Awesome bit of software this is, I can kind of understand some of the goings on more like a few words here an there. This must have taken some serious time and effort. Thanks ever so much for releasing this hard work of yours it's warmly received here and I'm looking to put this to good use :)

Simply awesome!
Charlie

Graham C. Williams

Post by Graham C. Williams » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:24 pm

Hi Charles.
Yes, it is a bit of a macro Fest!

Start by reading everything here. I have posted some instructions.
Be sure to update the major programmes with the Public Release 2. It's a whole lot better.
I have a much faster version here with lots of good bits but get this running first.

Open the Construction Book.
Load the Type06 motor.
Note how the pipe is constructed of butted sections; Length, starting Dia and ending dia on the next line down.
On the inputs.dat sheet check the run time

Run NUDiS
When it's done have a look at the results.
When you're happy try a combustion run.

Welcome to the world of 1D non-steady internal compressible flow.

Graham.
Dark days nurture new
Now open your eyes.

zono

NUDiS error messages

Post by zono » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:21 pm

Dear Graham,

I have the same problem like leo with nudis (same error messages, but german, no dutch excel). Do you have any new fixes about this problem? Would be very happy to get help from you !

Thanks in advance!

zono

ace_fedde

Post by ace_fedde » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:47 pm

Leo, Graham,
Did you find the problem with the dutch version? I have the same problem, also with a dutch version :(
Fedde
Your scepticism is fuel for my brain.

ace_fedde

Post by ace_fedde » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:16 pm

ace_fedde wrote:Metiz,
metiz wrote:Couldn't get it to do what you want it to (understandable) or can't get it to work period?
Can't get it to work period. Exactly like Leo describes in the Tools and Construction Forum in the Nudis thread. Same alarms, same solutions tried, no result. Might have to do with me (like Leo) using the dutch version of Excell. Another guy with a german version also had the same problems. :(
Unfortunatly there are not so many englisch versions anymore in Holland, people are getting spoiled here. :lol:
metiz wrote:Make sure the Nudis folder is in the root of your C:/ drive.
I did.

Fedde
metiz wrote:Hmm I have a Dutch version of excel and at least I can get it to run
ok make sure you have the following files in your C:/nudis folder (probably does not matter but make sure "nudis" is in lower case)

folder "QSAVE"
.dat file "area"
.dat file "Geom"
.dat file "Inputs"
.exe file "NUDIS"
.xls file "NUDiS Analysis BooK R0xx"
.xls file "NUDiS C.dat Viewer BooK 0x"
.xls file "NUDiS Construction BooK R0xx"

To be on the save side, make sure all the file names are in the specified cases

make sure in excel you've got macro's enabled. Go to: extra>>macro>>beveiliging and at the tab "beveiligingsniveau" put it on "laag"
now go to "vertrouwde uitgevers" and make sure you check both tabs.

Metiz,
metiz wrote: make sure in excel you've got macro's enabled. Go to: extra>>macro>>beveiliging and at the tab "beveiligingsniveau" put it on "laag"
now go to "vertrouwde uitgevers" and make sure you check both tabs.
The first I had already done but the second I had not!

I think now it’s already doing a bit more then last time, but it still gets stuck.
Fedde

This is a part of the original instructions:

4. The Analysis Book.
The Analysis Book auto loads to the ‘Start Here’ sheet.

Click the ‘Input All’ button

Answer NO to Run Stand Alone

After some working I get a window “Microsoft Visual Basic” with the message: Fout 1004 tijdens uitvoering. Door de toepassing of door object gedefinieerde fout. Then I get only the end now (beeindigen) possibility.

Only after closing Excell, Excell asks:

Excel will ask you what you want to do with the large amount of information in the clipboard? Just say No.

[The Time it takes to Calculate the Massflow and Density then go onto finding the Max and Min values depends upon the simulation time in the Inputs page of the Construction Book. In this prepared example (Type06) I set the value to 1ms (so have I) so it shouldn’t take too long. If you have altered the value up you may want to make a cup of tea.]
Your scepticism is fuel for my brain.

metiz
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by metiz » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:58 pm

Bump for answer to the 1004 question; I get the same problem. I am using the r02c version but with the original .qsave files.

office 2007, macro's enabled
Quantify the world.