Raiding the "old stuff"

Moderator: Mike Everman

Irvine.J
Antipspambot question: 0

Raiding the "old stuff"

Post by Irvine.J » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:18 am

No offence to any perverbial "Dinosaurs" on the forum, but perhaps you can help with this. Shown below are 2 what I believe to be Propane torches. According to my father, before grandad died (bless his soul) and left me some cool tools, he used these torches for a bunch of different things, problem is he couldn't remember WHAT! He used a vacum cleaner motor to push the air apparently, but since I have my new compressor should make life easier ;).
Now I hear propane burns pretty freaking hot (LOL Derrr!) and I can controll the gasflow witht he nob on the side, but I wonder if something like this might be able to spot weld some thin aluminum? The smaller one apparently has a small but VERY hot and powerful flame. If you think it might work i'll give it a go, but I can't think of any use for them otherwise... perhaps someone could tell me what they are "Supposed" to be used for? They kind of look like oxy-acetlyene torches to me, though i've never actually seen one up close.
Attachments
prop 001.jpg
prop 001.jpg (204.41 KiB) Viewed 4142 times
prop 002.jpg
prop 002.jpg (174.36 KiB) Viewed 4142 times

Hveem

Re: Raiding the "old stuff"

Post by Hveem » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:28 pm

Number47 wrote:No offence to any perverbial "Dinosaurs" on the forum, but perhaps you can help with this. Shown below are 2 what I believe to be Propane torches. According to my father, before grandad died (bless his soul) and left me some cool tools, he used these torches for a bunch of different things, problem is he couldn't remember WHAT! He used a vacum cleaner motor to push the air apparently, but since I have my new compressor should make life easier ;).
Now I hear propane burns pretty freaking hot (LOL Derrr!) and I can controll the gasflow witht he nob on the side, but I wonder if something like this might be able to spot weld some thin aluminum? The smaller one apparently has a small but VERY hot and powerful flame. If you think it might work i'll give it a go, but I can't think of any use for them otherwise... perhaps someone could tell me what they are "Supposed" to be used for? They kind of look like oxy-acetlyene torches to me, though i've never actually seen one up close.
oxy-acetlyene torches.. no mistake. looks like they are from the 50'ties or some thing.

larry cottrill

re: Raiding the "old stuff"

Post by larry cottrill » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:03 pm

I would not want one of these in my hand with acetylene running through it. To me, they most resemble the torches we used at the jewelry bench, except on a larger scale. That was oxygen/natural gas, and they were useful for such things as silver soldering. I wouldn't doubt that used with natural gas or propane and oxygen, the ones you have here could even do brazing - the little bench torches we used could get a small metal object far beyond red heat in short order.

My guess is that these are quite old, possibly pre-1900, but I'm just guessing, of course. An oxyacetylene torch from the 50s would look exactly like the one I use, with a decent mixing area and interchangeable, full-length, drawn copper tips. No acetylene torch I've ever seen let the flame get very close to the mixing area (which has to be carefully designed), due to the conducted heat in the torch tip.

L Cottrill