Odds and ends

Moderator: Mike Everman

tufty
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: Odds and ends

Post by tufty » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:52 pm

Go on, order a blown glass lockwood or escopette. You know you want to.

Mark

Post by Mark » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:55 pm

A Lockwood or Escopette would be a more difficult build making sure the sections don't have deleterious narrowing or irregularities where the sections connect. Often tubing gets mashed or narrowed when joined to another part. Not always but sometimes. And the cost would probably be more than what you might expect. But yea, I was entertaining the thought of a small pulse jet. I don't like using pressurized fuel though, just want to keep it simple.

I liked this 500 ml bottle but look how much with shipping once you start sizing up. Fused quartz isn't cheap. Funny though, the one company said they'd be happy to make me a hundred of the mini-jam jar jets with the 5 mm hole (or just jar things to them) for 10 dollars a piece. Not too bad really for something out of the ordinary or if you fixed it up to do something nifty or crafty.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quartz-Reagent- ... 0005.m1851
Presentation is Everything

Mark

Post by Mark » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:22 am

Who would have guessed? You can enlarge the image twice. Looks like a good running shape, imagine a parliament of jam jar jet owls.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Owl-Colors-S ... 3=&veh=sem
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 12668.html

tufty

Post by tufty » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:19 pm

What a hoot!

I'll get my coat

Mark

Post by Mark » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:52 pm

★★★★ 1 out of 5 stars. · 10 months ago
Very missleading information in description.
very cute jars. was so excited to get for my friend who collects owls. found out that the COLORS WASH OFF!!! does not lead one to understand that in description of product at all. someone else got these and said all colors washed off! makes these unusable if you plan to reuse over and over for things. So. color is very temporary. product is not what is says it is. too bad because they would be beautiful in colors!! why make them with color if they will not be after washing? not getting permanently colored products, which is what I and many others fell in love with and got them for to begin with. very disappointed! Also embarrassing to have given as a gift. defective!!! not good!!!!

Another review
"I bought thesee bottles to put bath salts in as gifts. They are so pretty and colorful I decided to display a few of them with fresh flowers. After a couple of days I refilled the flower water and noticed that the paint on the purple jar is coming off. I hope that does not happen to the other jars. Dissapointing."

"12 Pc set means 6 jars, with 6 lids. Not 12 jars. :)"

"The jars are cute but the description of 12 pieces is misleading. It is only 6 jars and then they are counting the 6 lids as a total of 12 items. When you buy mason jars the lids are included not considered extra. The lids are cute with the plaid print."

"These are really cute, but the colors are painted on. I will for sure be hand washing these, but something tells me that the colors won't last long. If you know that going in, then they are a nice little gift."

For those that like the colors. For me, I like clear anyway.

Mark

Post by Mark » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:10 pm

tufty wrote:What a hoot!

I'll get my coat

There are hollow trees that catch fire in the forest and they sometimes make a hooting sound and thus firefighters refer to them as hooters I have heard. Maybe a jam jar could be designed to make a hooting sound. There's that quiet "whooooo" tone jam jars sometimes make when the flame sits at the top of the hole in the jar when the fuel/air ratio is off, sort of a feedback or Helmholtz resonance.
"A Helmholtz resonator or Helmholtz oscillator is a container of gas (usually air) with an open hole (or neck or port). A volume of air in and near the open hole vibrates because of the 'springiness' of the air inside."

Mark

Post by Mark » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:59 pm

Still too hot to really toy with stuff. But the other day I revved up a barking beer bottle snorkeler and it's amazing how cooler weather brings these marginal running jets to life. The sound energy makes a slight echo off the other houses although I've yet to get them to sustain for any length of time. I've not bothered to try to start my quartz jam jar yet but I do dwell on what I might attach it to, like a toy boat or car of some sort. Making a low friction toy car that's clever in design seems
a challenge.
Attachments
DSC_0007 (1).JPG

Mark

Post by Mark » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:14 pm

Jam jar jets now available on eBay. ha
Looks like they raised the price 5 dollars from what I paid and made 3 extra. I haven't even tested mine yet so caveat emptor, not that there would be a groundswell or surge on the market at this point.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/fused-quartz-t ... Sw6VRZ7Y4Y

This company
http://www.ykquartz.com/Hva_En/index.asp

Mark

Post by Mark » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:31 pm

So a few things that came to mind in this first run of the quartz jar. In a previous test with a thick aluminum cap on a roughly similar size quartz jar it ran for a little over a minute. Perhaps the the very thick aluminum cap wicked away more of the heat than this jar and the aluminum capped jar was run in cooler weather on December 14th. And the added thickness of the lid made the .25 inch/6.35 mm diameter hole somewhat of a snorkelette.
Aluminum cap and clip of it running
download/file.php?id=15272&mode=view
download/file.php?id=15268&mode=view
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUgGpxZ-4uY

So here the new jet is running on the back porch and it's kind of windy out as the curtain over the screen can be seen to flutter. I will say the jar was quite hot on the upper half and took some time to cool down. A water bath or fuel feed system or both would probably buy more time. The hole is 7 mm on this one. I wonder how much the ever changing fuel pool surface at the bottom contributes to unstable combustion or rather how much steadier would it run if fueled otherwise having a non-dampening stiff bottom surface to reflect off of?
Jam Jar Jet Made of Quartz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRXvWrFbl0c
Attachments
DSC_0010 (1).JPG

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:24 am

I was rereading this 1976 Naval Postgraduate Thesis by Robert Crow entitled Pulsating Combustion Device Miniaturization and he talks quite a bit about the Reynst Pot.

"One of the most interesting of the system oscillations
is the Reynst pot phenomenon. The discovery of this
phenomenon was the result of an accident. P. H. Reynst
dropped a burning match into a near empty can of alcohol.
Instead of simply burning or going out, the can of alcohol
began to rumble at a low frequency. From this beginning,
pulsating combustion became the vocation and avocation to
which Reynst devoted his life."

"A further improvement was the addition of a vortex ring which was a
water cooled, truncated cone-shaped device. The purpose of
this ring was to strengthen the vortex at the bottom of the
chamber. The introduction of fuel in atomized form was a
significant modification over the previous device both in
form (atomized vice liquid) and in location (throat vice
bottom) of introduction. The resulting device proved
controllable from 2 to 100 cycles per second and possessed a
high heat transfer coefficient."

On small jam jars ...
"While it was hoped that the decrease in volume and the
relative increase in the surface area would allow the
combustors to function without water cooling, this turned
out not to provide enough heat transfer. A vigorous flow of
water was required to achieve continous oscillatory
operation of the 1.25 in and the 1.0 in combustors."

Anyway there were about 20 pages devoted to the Reynst pot and experimental outcomes of jam jars of various sizes starting on page 18.

And I liked this foreshadowing thought from the very early days.
In the words of Marchal and Servanty, "It would appear possible to imagine entirely static machines through which gaseous currents flow in the absence of any driving pressure supplied from an external source."
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a035707.pdf
Last edited by Mark on Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:48 am

I had a little finger pump sprayer test tube with some boric acid in the methanol and although I misted in a few squirts before adding in straight methanol, the bright green color only lasted intensely for the initial flash of light, had more been used perhaps a better result - the glass so thick I didn't run them long.
Jam Jar Jet Skulls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-oOYF7EDYk

tufty

Post by tufty » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:06 pm

Aww, man. That's wonderful.

The quartz jar is excellent. Well done!

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:32 pm

Thanks, it was a long time coming Simon. Decided to make a smaller ~20 ml one too but haven't sent payment yet, just clarifying the link I can send payment to. It might be a woman's hand in the glove making the vial/jar seem slightly larger. Now to make the quartz do something besides static running.
Attachments
IMG_0656.JPG
IMG_0655.JPG
IMG_0658.JPG
IMG_0657.JPG
Last edited by Mark on Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:36 pm

yeah, go Mark! When you settle on a good vendor, I want to send them a drawing of a pocket jet and see how much they'd charge. I might be talked into bankrolling a quantity of these little guys... noodge noodge, wink wink!
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:07 pm

Well the second manufacturer sent me some promising news but then they said they couldn't make the hole properly or maybe they wanted a large order it's hard to figure so I went back to Elaine, but here's some of the second manufacturer's offer before they had problems with the hole. Even Elaine's company had a crack or questionable flaw near the hole on the first jam jar they made. It can't be that hard to make a hole can it? Granted I'm a low value customer.

For some reason that second company referred to the jam jar as a "special cigarette nail". Maybe a quartz jam jar jet could be designed to vaporize certain oily matter in states like Oregon and Colorado. ha (these things)
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=c ... l&_sacat=0

The second company and their messages ...

Hello: Thank you very much. With reference, we have the accuracy of the project. I'll arrange for the workers to do it for you,

After the project is done, send pictures to you,

Give you a link when you're satisfied

The U tube you're going to give me is the exact size.

The squid pattern can be added to the container.

Adding color is expensive,

Frosted cheap

Hello: your special cigarette nail has been made, but it can not reach the accurate 5mm hole. Thank you

Here's the company that made my jam jars. Note the young women sitting at attention at their stations perhaps. Wonder if they have company picnics? Or morning exercises? Whatever the case/regiment they make some fancy lab equipment using quartz. And the floor looks really clean.
These machines probably cost a pretty penny and I bet they go through a lot of hydrogen and oxygen melting quartz.
http://www.ykquartz.com/Hva_En/TuView.a ... 3&SortID=1
http://www.ykquartz.com/Hva_En/Tulist.a ... rtPath=0,1,

So it will be about month before the new shape arrives. The second company had a nifty little (patented they said) honey bee with honeycomb pattern in the wings design printed on quartz. That might be cute on a tiny jam jar jet as you could liken it to buzzing like a bee. There're several things I'd like to toy with, like designing a tiny jam jar jet to fly in reduced gravity on a parabolic flight or even the Space Station if they'd entertain that or just running one static. It could go along with their other flames in outer space studies NASA has done. Or make little floating figurines out of quartz in the shape of squid, little squid boats would be a unique toy. And on and on ... simple but fun ideas.