Odds and ends

Moderator: Mike Everman

Mark

Re: Odds and ends

Post by Mark » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:56 am

I was using the That Looks About Right ballpark method. I kind of thought it should be longer still but it's a fraction over a 3 to 1 length to diameter ratio. It's about the same height as this tank with a 3/4 inch snorkel that runs pretty good straight up or sideways yet the oxygen tank is a smaller diameter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah_FBmVv58s

In other news this beer can and swaged aluminum tube ramps up pretty good/makes me happy but hasn't sustained yet and I'm hoping when cooler weather arrives it will perform. It's strange because holding the beer bottle in your hand it comes to mind that the air might be swirling in some manner in that long narrow chamber yet it doesn't require a flow rectifier or vortexifier to get past itself or skirting around the perimeter on the outflow phase so as to avoid dead air or a slow breathing entropy. I don't know how it works. What was it Foa said, you can choose between good breathing or good mixing?
This beer bottle is 2.25 inches in diameter and 9 inches tall. The snorkel about the same length. And of course the bottle has bout 2.5 inches of necking, part of the 9 inch height.
Attachments
DSC_0009 (2).JPG
Presentation is Everything

tufty
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by tufty » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:23 pm

Like the dog.

Mind you, if you're going to go to such extremes to justify beer drinking, you could at least pick something better than Bud Light.

https://youtu.be/j5EmCKbWS6c

Mark

Post by Mark » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:35 pm

That Budweiser stuff is swill to be sure. With all the crap they put in foods nowadays, I find myself opting for beers that meet the German Purity Law or the most expensive brands sadly.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinheitsgebot
I wish the U.S. would start selling these bottles with the more friendly uniform neck, something like this, the beer that says pulse jet, which reminds me if I was marketing a hard liquor or even a wine or beer, among the many creative shapes of bottles you can find, I'd make one that ramps ups nicely when fueled properly. Even some potable 95% grain alcohol would be good enough for the effect if a snorkeler bottle were designed with the right kind of long neck.
https://elementalcontainer.files.wordpr ... lumino.jpg

The problem with glass bottles is that they have a wide-then-narrow constriction where the cap fits on, and that screws up the air flow causing turbulation. You can feel the shape if you put your finger in the bottle where the threads are or the bottle has a gradual flare in the neck heading toward the main body that dampens feedback.
Something like this shape but with a flat bottom and the neck a little more narrow or wider main body to get enough confinement is what I'm thinking. I've looked over a lot of bottles and there may be one out there calling my name. ha
Snorkeler wannabe ... http://44northvodka.com/
A bottle I picked up by the side of the road when walking the dog. Close but no cigar.
download/file.php?id=14998&mode=view
The right idea sort of ...
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hphot ... 4576_n.jpg
There's some magnum bottles out there that would probably cycle up but not the idealized loud sustained snorkeler effect.
https://www.thatsoyoo.com/FashionImages/2_IMG_0653.JPG
So many strange shapes out there ...
http://www.drinksdirect.co.uk/acatalog/ ... -175cl.jpg

Another fun thing would be to market a long idealized cylindrical tube/bottle like the quartz barking dog where you could bark the bottle after the booze is used up. You could make a little stand for it so it would sit on the shelves. Barking Dog grain neutral spirits 190 proof/95% alcohol. ha

Lots of uses for beer bottles.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... ottles.jpg
https://www.etsy.com/listing/265063625/ ... chime-made

tufty

Post by tufty » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:31 pm

You can get those aluminium bottles in bulk from aliexpress and taobao, No idea how much it would cost to get a custom shape made up. Too much, probably, and what would you do wth 10,000 aluminium pulsejets anyway?

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:31 am

How about on the bud bottle, consider the chamber to be the bottom 6.5 inches, and submerge a 6.5" snorkel down to the shoulder? Take the neck out of the equation.
Then play with snorkel diameter. I would try that if I weren't 2,900 miles from home.
I think the chamber is a good aspect ratio and the neck either needs to be considered part of the snorkel or removed from the issue.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Mark

Post by Mark » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:40 am

Yea, I'd like to try that Mike, swage the whole neck around the snorkel somehow. I've put the snorkel down to that depth but that dampens the effect greatly because of the dead space or harsh angle any air above the opening of the snorkel has to go down and then up to get out whilst the bottom air below the opening is probably getting out of sync with the air around the neck as they both try to escape on the outflow phase. I found that to get it to rev up nicely the snorkel is just barely put inside the bottle, less than a 1/4 inch in depth, a fraction below that ring that holds the bottle cap on. I cut the tops/necks off some bottles a few days ago and plan to sleeve them together making perfect cylinder shapes making a flat top and flat bottom and then I have to figure out a way to fasten the snorkel to one of the bottles flattish bottom which will now be a top. I've drilled a hole for a snorkel but press-fitting isn't very strong. I could use some thermo-steel or something I guess. I'll think of something. One thing to watch out for though is if you swage a snorkel and it constricts it even a small amount compared to the rest of the length of the snorkel, it doesn't like it.

On that oxygen tank I had to consider the largest tap I have is a 3/4 inch NPT pipe thread so I had to choose a length of the tank that I thought could drive the feedback or conversely a snorkel with enough compressive potential or impedance matching for that tank. If you have excessive volume of the tank that creates a sponginess and if too long it has a hard time breathing or purging out the bad air completely enough. I might have liked to have tried a 1 inch NPT threaded snorkel just to see what that would do. Then you have to have various lengths of snorkel to find the best length or one that will even run.

Mark

Post by Mark » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:22 pm

Some "Will It Jam" stuff that probably won't as is/so far. I thought this vase might be steel because it was silver under the black but under the silver was brass. It really rings if you tap the body though and feels thin and lightweight. Anyway I didn't like the cone tapered neck so a few inches were cut off and a piece of copper tubing snugly slid down inside the neck to make it a straight snorkel. Still It's probably too much of a diameter for that size tank. Well that was my 2 dollar purchase at the flea market today. One other thing I bought was an Absolute Vodka brand cocktail shaker for all of 4 dollars. The top is very nice and the inside of the neck smooth and uniform, and it's a thick 18/8 stainless steel. And again the snorkel made of a piece of aluminum tubing is probably too wide of a diameter to cycle but it will bark of course. And the other day this lovely stainless steel baster was all of 49 cents - it seems you could use part of it to make a Sibley type pulsejet out of it if you were desperate or as a flaring tool for small diameter aluminum tubing, or to aspirate fuel. (Yawn)
http://img.xooimage.com/files41/8/8/a/i ... 20320e.jpg
Attachments
DSC_0004 (18).JPG
DSC_0015 (2).JPG
DSC_0005 (13).JPG
DSC_0003 (17).JPG
DSC_0009 (4).JPG

Mark

Post by Mark » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:01 pm

Some things that didn't work spritzed with a little methanol, lit and failed to cycle. The red stopper and inconel segment allowed me to adjust the volume of the quartz tube.
Attachments
DSC_0002 (17).JPG
DSC_0009 (5).JPG
DSC_0012.JPG
DSC_0023.JPG
DSC_0001 (15).JPG

Mark

Post by Mark » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:16 pm

A few odds and ends for today - the 250 ml olive oil container did cycle up. And some pinched Bud beer bottles musings. Also a light bulb that was drilled out with a glass cutting bit, it doesn't look it or show it but the hole turned out perfectly. Couldn't get it to jam jar though.
Attachments
DSC_0035.JPG
DSC_0018 (3).JPG
DSC_0022 (1).JPG
DSC_0029.JPG
DSC_0027.JPG
DSC_0032.JPG
DSC_0030.JPG

tufty

Post by tufty » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:21 pm

Bud Light meets Kazooenstein!

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:47 pm

In other news, this Bud isn't working. The tubing is a little smaller diameter than what works with a regular bottle. The rainy weather might be a factor. It reminds me of planting zones, the regions in which a particular seed should be planted at a particular time of the year, only in this case it would be for when methanol is going to do best, the dryness of the climate and the temperature and humidity all a big factor - jam jar jet hardiness zones. I flared the exhaust tube where it connects to the beer bottle and then pulled the tube through the hole and then capped the bottle with a section of a blue Bud Light bottle.
http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/

And there's this old thing I made using some 1.25 inch aluminum tubing and 2.5 inch diameter bottle from an auto parts store with Coke can cap. It's a very close approximation to a Dyna-jet, as close as I could get to the length in fact and the tail is flared. It barks quite loudly if you mist it with methanol and light the tail. It might be an improvement on a typical barking dog chemistry demonstration, the bulb at the end offering more confinement in a sense perhaps.
Attachments
DSC_0036.JPG
DSC_0030 (1).JPG
DSC_0033.JPG

Mark

Post by Mark » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:39 am

Well I did get the Bud bottle in the previous post to cycle up but not for long. Another thing tried today was a jumbo size stainless steel water bottle about a foot long. In the past it didn't cycle up very well if I recall and probably because threading in the snorkel to depth created some turbulence. But I found this lock ring that keeps it from jiggling and helps seal the threads of the bottle neck. Plumbing pipe threads gradually get wider the more you screw them in and if you don't bottom out the threads on this bottle the snorkel is wobbly and doesn't seal very well. But anyway the lock ring saved the day and why shouldn't it have worked, the water bottle is quite similar to the toilet brush holder pictured here next to it, the brush holder I dubbed the Gatling gun for the sound it makes as it fires away. The snorkels are some 3/4 inch diameter NPT pipe and probably the water bottle would run even better with a little bit longer snorkel than what was used today. The one redeeming thing about the stainless steel water bottle is that I didn't have to make any part, just a threaded pipe, lock ring, and water bottle. It wouldn't hold up though for long because the threaded ring inside the neck of the steel water bottle is aluminum me thinks.
So another member of the snorkeler repertoire comes to life. In cooler weather I shall video them. Behold ...
Attachments
DSC_0006 (9).JPG
DSC_0012 (2).JPG
DSC_0009 (7).JPG
DSC_0004 (19).JPG
DSC_0001 (17).JPG

Mark

Post by Mark » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:03 pm

I bought this little quartz "banger" whatever the derivation of that word, Wikipedia is out of the loop for that context. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangers
Anyway it was just something cheap to fiddle with, maybe make a toy combustion device out of it, but right now I'm just not sure how. All shapes have some unforeseen property and characteristic and the more shapes you can conceptualize, the more possibilities I figure.
And then I came across this odd/unfamiliar related subject matter - just more shapes. "Glass nails aren’t as durable, must be replaced more often, and have a higher possibility of breaking from overheating or being dropped. The question then becomes: Is a titanium or quartz nail right for you? Both have different pros and cons, and it is a matter of personal preference on which appeals more to you."
https://dankstop.com/blogs/wiki/whats-t ... artz-nails
So if the police come to my house because I've ordered questionable glassware, it would be funny to explain what I'm planning to use it for. ha

And of note, this free necklace bestowed on the great buyer me.
Attachments
DSC_0009 (8).JPG
DSC_0014 (6).JPG

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:54 pm

Ha! Loving it, Mark. Honestly, at this rate, you will in fact try Everything.

Reminds me of when my wife was on bedrest for a month. At one point, she pushed here laptop away and said, "I have officially seen the entire internet!"
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.