Rescyou
Antipspambot question: 0

El'Cheapo Spark Source

Post by Rescyou » Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:23 am

The mind of a man is the man himself.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:49 am

Shoot, I paid $30 for a brand new one meant for a gas stove, 'cause I was too impatient to find a friend with a dead stove in his garage; which would be the really cheap option, if he didn't make you haul the carcass off!
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Rescyou

$$$$$$

Post by Rescyou » Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:10 am

Don't worry, I've spent triple that making custom circuits that puked out a few sparks and then frazzled..

S.

Mark

Re: El'Cheapo Spark Source

Post by Mark » Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:33 pm

That's the cheapest ignition I have seen. I wonder if it would get hot if you ran it constantly rather than the intermittent firing it was made for? I wonder if it is a lethal voltage too? Gluhareff got away with using a simple piezo gas grill sparker for his engines because the propane lit easily.
Mark

Mark

One for each spark plug, the good old days

Post by Mark » Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:56 am

Mike Everman wrote:Shoot, I paid $30 for a brand new one meant for a gas stove, 'cause I was too impatient to find a friend with a dead stove in his garage; which would be the really cheap option, if he didn't make you haul the carcass off!
I bought a buzz coil which is pretty good for making a hot spark but not enough to kill you, (I know some of you want to flirt with death). When the current is applied, it creates a magnetic field which pulls the points down/apart breaking the circuit, which discontinues the magnetic effect and so the points once again make contact, etc. On the old Model T cars, each plug had it's own buzz coil.http://www.old-engine.com/magbuz.htm
This design is about a hundred years old yet very,very good.
And here is a keep is simple stupid link (kiss)
http://www.geocities.com/~rrice2/my_eng ... ayseed.htm
In a way, the buzz coil is a kind of feedback system although it doesn't produce thrust.
On some new cars, they are once again going with a coil for each spark plug, they are called COPS or coil on plug devices.http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e ... 2455206210
Yes, one for each spark plug, just like one hundred years ago, more or less.
Mark

Mark

Post by Mark » Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:41 am

PS A buzz coil will last a very long time running constantly and it won't kill you like some other lethal designs.
My brother worked at a company where a man stepped on an aluminum ladder that was laying on the floor over an extension cord and just fell dead on the spot. Electricity is something that will transport you to the world beyond.
Mark

Mark

World's whitest beaches

Post by Mark » Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:10 am

Here's another interesting tale, my other brother was fishing at Fort Pickens National Park (an island fort with canons and where Geronimo was kept prisoner) anyway he was fishing with only one other person on this pier and he told the fellow it was looking rather iffy, with lightning and all, so my brother left and was listening to the radio traveling home when he heard a man was struck by lightning and killed on the very same pier he had just left moments ago. When Geronimo was there, (they use to let him roam the island free) he use to sell souvenir buttons off his shirt to the tourists and then sew new buttons on for the next buyers. Ah, indian enterprise.
Yesterday my brother mentioned he and his friend wanted to try and make fulgurites with a 55 galllon drum/barrel of sugar white quartz sand from the beach here and rockets with wire lines attached to draw the lightning to it. I said you must have to run pretty fast. He mentioned that lightning didn't always follow the wire, it might decide to jump half way down the wire and hit some place else from where you planned. It might be fun to play with lightning though, 50,000 degrees Ben Franklin. A large fulgurite sells for a lot of money. Now that I think about it, there might be an opening for a Guiness Book of World Records for the first lightning ignition of a pulsejet engine. Also too, the electric eel or (horse killer) might make for an interesting science project ignition system. One time I saw a South American alligator in a pond hit by an electric eel on TV. The fair sized alligator went into convulsions and was barely able to crawl up on the land he was so stunned. I say that's a good ignition system.
Mark

Mark

Re: El'Cheapo Spark Source

Post by Mark » Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:23 am

Rescyou

Hookup Schematic

Post by Rescyou » Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:42 am

Here is the manual which provides the electrical schematic for hooking up the El'Cheapo sparker:

http://www.fivestarrange.com/Manual.pdf

Wiring diagrams start around pg 24.

Lemme know if any of ya get one of this devices operational.

S.

Mark

Post by Mark » Sat Jan 31, 2004 6:32 pm

OK, well I have the Kool-lite model 6542 in hand, cost was $3.49 plus shipping. On one side there are 2 pins marked live and neutral. On a far side there are 4 pins all separated by plastic partitions. Assuming each could go to a seperate stove top burner, where should I jump the spark to? Back to the live? Back to the neutral? To a wire wrapped around my big toe?
The box also says 120 VAC 60 Hz 4mA.
Mark

Rescyou

Diagram

Post by Rescyou » Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:42 pm

M.

I sent ya a diagram via email as to what I think the hookup should be and I will post it here for others to see as well.

<WARNING: AUTHOR IS NOT AN ELECTRICAL ENGINEER NOR STOVE ENGINEER SO USE FOLLOWING INFORMATION AT OWN RISK>

http://www.rescyou.com/SparkSchematic.jpg

<WARNING: AUTHOR IS NOT LARRY COTTRILL AND AS SUCH DIAGRAMMING SKILLS SUCK>

S.

Mark

Post by Mark » Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:59 pm

I've always wanted a way to fire off 4 jam jars at once. That's a nice drawing with bold colors. Do you think it would be OK to use the neutral for a ground, would that work as well?
I ain't no l'ectrical ingineer either!
Mark

Rescyou

AC/DC

Post by Rescyou » Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:28 pm

AC and DC systems are much different than each other, but kind of the same...

If memory serves me correctly power comes from the generating station through the HOT/LIVE/BLACK wire goes into the electrical device and the returns to the generating station via the NEUTRAL/WHITE wire.

Neutral and Ground are totally different in AC power so I don't recommend changing them around, you'll fry your Dingus.

A good read:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/power.htm

Also checkout the link section at the end of that article for some decent info.

Also most of this info as presented is for North American AC power grids using 120vac outlet power.

S.

Mark

Post by Mark » Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:33 pm

I would recommend this unit. I just got done trying it out and it seems to be a twin sparker. Pin 1 and 2 jump to each other and 3 and 4 the same. I got about a 1/2 inch or slightly longer spark constantly at about 1 or 2 tics a second. It's doesn't look dangerous in the least lest you touch the live wire out of the wall where it connects to the box, but even then it is protected in a plastic cubical as are all the spade shaped pins.
I layed a square shaft screwdriver over/near the 4 pins and got 4 synchronized sparks that ticked and echoed off my walls, even though the sparks are very thin they are tinny or snappy. Strange I should say. If I gap it too far it doesn't fire everytime, but then when it does it can leap about an inch.
Seems to run splendidly for the few minutes I toyed with various combinations and such. Anyone for a twin twin ignition system. I figure a boot could go to the top of 4 spark plugs and they would find there way as long as they were on a common combustion chamber or wired from one jam jar over to pickle jar, etc, in the same way 2 spark plugs can be used with a single sparker by just making contact with the tips of each plug.
Hot damn, I've got another good ignition system and it is safe for dingbats like me who need the luxury of being distracted and gently reminded the current is still on over the noise of a Dynajet wailing. The price is right! A good shock stays with you for awhile, and I don't care for them. This thing is not going to jolt you into an epileptic seizure like my neon sign transformer with super thick, super stiff wire and furry spark with a corona around it. I think I could melt a spark plug with it in fact.
Mark

Mark

Post by Mark » Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:40 am

OK, now I am bored again. Maybe I could get ammonia, methane, etc, and work on making some amino acids in a sealed sparking jar. Must get back to basics and design something.
Mark