EBay musings

Moderator: Mike Everman

Mark

re: EBay musings

Post by Mark » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:11 am

I still have one of these I bought sitting on my desk. Every day I wonder about it, but nothing comes to mind. Nothing easy as toast that is.
http://tinyurl.com/kycys

I started to think "easy as toast" is kind of a strange expression so I found this.
http://www.aapgai.co.uk/singlespey.html
Presentation is Everything

Mark

Post by Mark » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:37 am

Mark

Post by Mark » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:41 am

Mark

Post by Mark » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:55 am

Might be interesting if you could adapt them to jam jar smudge pots that burn citronella oil. Here is a stainless steel one I bought at Lowe's, a hardware store. (Top view) The little hole held the chain for the cap.
http://tinyurl.com/eadcd
Attachments
050109120303.jpg
050109120303.jpg (94.23 KiB) Viewed 9821 times

Mark

Post by Mark » Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:22 pm

I should say my smudge pot runs peppy at first and then quickly slows and then dies, maybe 8 seconds or so. Perhaps it gets too hot or the fuel on the bottom of the tank isn't enough, a mixture problem I suppose.
Mark
http://tinyurl.com/oqlov

And here is an overflow tank that might be of use for something. It's got mounting brackets already. ha
http://tinyurl.com/nways

Mark

Post by Mark » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:27 pm

Funny lawnmower blade with bomb fin base.
Mark
http://tinyurl.com/kvao9

Mark

Post by Mark » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:40 pm

Probably not that rugged, but small. I wonder how different or similar it is to a stungun schematic?
Mark
http://tinyurl.com/rn8oc

hagent
Antipspambot question: 0

High Voltage transformer

Post by hagent » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:39 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

I just bought this off Ebay and wired it all up to a box and light switch.

When I through the switch I was a bit scared! Man it sparks good. It was producing a small version of the Jacobs ladder effect.

When I had the electrods too far appart for a spark all my HV cables that crossed each other were glowing bright blue.

It's rated 14,000 volts, 40 VA, 35mA So I hope it's not leathal with a slight accident. I will have to make it a bit safer.

Anyone know if this type of transformer can handle being on for a few mins at a time without overheating or burning out?

Hey Mike it's almost like yours!

Cheers
Attachments
HV-Igniter.jpg
HV-Igniter.jpg (86.41 KiB) Viewed 9699 times
Hagen Tannberg

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:27 pm

See if it starts to melt your spark plugs. ha I would suspect you would not want to get shocked by that unit. It's best not to have overkill. I've a small neon transformer and it makes a furry, buzzy, spark but I wouldn't want to be shocked by it. I think you could sieze the day, sieze your muscles and not let go until you are toast.
Mark

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:49 pm

All transformers sold as "neon transformers" are VERY deadly, because of the output currents they are capable of delivering. People have been INSTANTLY killed by such devices.

For an ignition spark source, you are much better off using a high-impedance, low current device, in my opinion. A Model T coil will about send you through the roof when you get across it, but I never heard of anyone getting killed by one. (Of course, if you have something like a pacemaker installed, maybe that could make it a different story.)

L Cottrill

hagent

Post by hagent » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:32 pm

Hi Larry,

So do you think that this Oil furnace igniter is just as deadly?
Hagen Tannberg

Al Belli

Post by Al Belli » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:37 pm

Hi,

Oil burner transformers ARE just as deadly !!!!!

Al Belli

hagent

Re: re: EBay musings

Post by hagent » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:47 pm

Al Belli wrote:Hi,

Oil burner transformers ARE just as deadly !!!!!

Al Belli
Cool!

I got zapped once by a coil of a VW bug. That was fun!

I can't imagine what this would feel like - if I woke up :)

I'll have to silicone the high tension posts and put some permenant high voltage cables on them so there is little chance of accidental contact.

Thanks guys!
Hagen Tannberg

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:46 pm

Hagen -

That's wonderful, if you're one of the rare folks who have stayed alive thus far by Never Making A Mistake.

On one of my early flights of my Dynajet-powered Buzz Bomb Trainer, as soon as the designated starter pushed the button, he got blitzed, the guy holding the plane got it, and I got it holding the control handle 80 ft away in the center of the flight circle !!! This came from a simple mistake in the hookup to the engine: Basically, the hot wire and ground wire got reverse connected to the engine.

Recently, I changed the setup on my starter to a toggle switch (stays on until flipped off) from the older doorbell button ("dead man switch" that turns off when you release it). I tried starting one of my valveless engines half a dozen times with differeing tailpipe lengths with no problems (except for not getting a sustaining run) - finally, she stayed running and I promptly forgot that I needed to flip the switch back down and got zapped pulling the plug lead off.

In both cases (and many more instances I won't bother to relate) it was REALLY HARD TO LET GO - but I lived, because the Model T coil is essentially incapable of inflicting serious damage. It would have been VIRTUALLY CERTAIN DEATH using any regular AC transformer.

Be warned: With any HV power transformer, you only have to be wrong for 1/120 second, one time!

L Cottrill

tufty

Re: re: EBay musings

Post by tufty » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:29 pm

Larry Cottrill wrote:In both cases (and many more instances I won't bother to relate) it was REALLY HARD TO LET GO - but I lived, because the Model T coil is essentially incapable of inflicting serious damage.
I can vouch for this.

When I was _much, much_ younger than I am today, it was my grandfather's favourite trick to be working on his van (a rather old 'Comma') with the engine running, to put his finger atop a spark plug and then ask you to go get something from inside the van. Of course, as you touched the door handle, you completed the circuit betwixt coil and chassis, via my grandfather and the earth. He would be expecting it, you wouldn't. Not only is it hard to let go of the handle, it hurts like hell.

He was a "card", my grandfather. I miss him.

He'd have loved this forum. He was a plumber and a blacksmith, and loved stuff that was "beyond the norm".

Simon