A "How to Bend Tubing and Pipe by Hand" web site

Moderator: Mike Everman

paul skinner
Posts: 427
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:59 pm

A "How to Bend Tubing and Pipe by Hand" web site

Post by paul skinner » Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:37 am

Nice site that if you follow it around also shows a tubing coping and a tube deflection calculator.


Bon chance..


http://www.metalgeek.com/archives/2005/05/01/000047.php

paul skinner
Posts: 427
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:59 pm

re: A "How to Bend Tubing and Pipe by Hand" web si

Post by paul skinner » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:55 pm

Interesting.

84 people have viewed this.

And not one comment.

hinote
Posts: 1241
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 1:54 am
Antipspambot question: 0
Location: Central California

Re: re: A "How to Bend Tubing and Pipe by Hand" we

Post by hinote » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:34 am

Paul Skinner wrote:Interesting.

84 people have viewed this.

And not one comment.
Heck--that just puts you in the same pew as me. Check-out the replies (zero!) to my "Bill's Tip o' the Day" post, just below this one.

Looks like nobody's interested in real-world construction tips, eh?

Bill H.
Acoustic Propulsion Concepts


".......some day soon we'll be flying airplanes powered by pulsejets."

hinote
Posts: 1241
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 1:54 am
Antipspambot question: 0
Location: Central California

Re: re: A "How to Bend Tubing and Pipe by Hand" we

Post by hinote » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:38 am

hinote wrote:
Paul Skinner wrote:Interesting.

84 people have viewed this.

And not one comment.
Heck--that just puts you in the same pew as me. Check-out the replies (zero!) to my "Bill's Tip o' the Day" post, just below this one.

Looks like nobody's interested in real-world construction tips, eh?
Do you suppose anybody would be interested if I could offer a high-performance (valveless!) pulsejet that could be built from off-the-shelf parts?

All a guy would have to do is take the parts to a local welder (exhaust shop, or similar) and have the bits welded up.

Bill H.
Acoustic Propulsion Concepts


".......some day soon we'll be flying airplanes powered by pulsejets."

paul skinner
Posts: 427
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:59 pm

Re: re: A "How to Bend Tubing and Pipe by Hand" we

Post by paul skinner » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:39 am

hinote wrote:
Paul Skinner wrote:Interesting.

84 people have viewed this.

And not one comment.
Heck--that just puts you in the same pew as me. Check-out the replies (zero!) to my "Bill's Tip o' the Day" post, just below this one.

Looks like nobody's interested in real-world construction tips, eh?

Bill H.
Acoustic Propulsion Concepts


".......some day soon we'll be flying airplanes powered by pulsejets."
I don't know. Maybe it's just me, but, the forum doesn't feel the same anymore.

hinote
Posts: 1241
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 1:54 am
Antipspambot question: 0
Location: Central California

Re: re: A "How to Bend Tubing and Pipe by Hand" we

Post by hinote » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:48 am

Paul Skinner wrote: I don't know. Maybe it's just me, but, the forum doesn't feel the same anymore.
There's been lots of misfires, lately.

I'll bet M. is really impressed with the massive yawn he got, when he offered to post dimensions for an efficient alternative to the L-H valveless type.

Also, my effort to try and stimulate design awareness with the "Forum M1E project" met with similar interest.

Do any of these people really want to operate a good pulsejet? Much less, try and understand what makes them operate!

Bill H.
Acoustic Propulsion Concepts

".......some day soon we'll be flying airplanes powered by pulsejets."

ed knesl
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:27 am
Antipspambot question: 0
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Re: re: A "How to Bend Tubing and Pipe by Hand" we

Post by ed knesl » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:12 am

hinote wrote:
Paul Skinner wrote: I don't know. Maybe it's just me, but, the forum doesn't feel the same anymore.
There's been lots of misfires, lately.

I'll bet M. is really impressed with the massive yawn he got, when he offered to post dimensions for an efficient alternative to the L-H valveless type.

Also, my effort to try and stimulate design awareness with the "Forum M1E project" met with similar interest.

Do any of these people really want to operate a good pulsejet? Much less, try and understand what makes them operate!

Bill H.
Acoustic Propulsion Concepts

".......some day soon we'll be flying airplanes powered by pulsejets."
Paul and Bill,

This is a fate of many of such forums. Most of people run on their ego,
do not listen or read much and want to present their own message, which
is "the most important of all". Mostly, original message gets hijacked by
unrelated follow up comments, and original intent gets lost rather rapidly
and burried in the thread.

I was a member of certain homebuilt aircarft forum and on one foolish
day I listed long list of improvements on that aircaraft that I made.
The whole firestorm resulted convincing me how wrong I was to try
to improve such outstanding design. Couple of people came to my resque
but it was already enough for me and I quit.

I thought that forum was strictly for exchanging technical ideas and
knowledge. Instead we get lot of "today's tidbits" and "cars pics".

However I am loking forward to next PJ meet, since it was the right
enviroment, with the real stuff !

Ed
...Nobody is right, nobody is wrong...

marksteamnz
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 1:42 am
Antipspambot question: 0
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: re: A "How to Bend Tubing and Pipe by Hand" we

Post by marksteamnz » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:24 am

Bill I'd be interested and I have the welder. I'd like to be first off the block making noise. Might pay to make the same offer in the Valveless forum. One point "off the shelf" can vary according to where you live
Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz
(On the under side of the globe)

Do you suppose anybody would be interested if I could offer a high-performance (valveless!) pulsejet that could be built from off-the-shelf parts?

All a guy would have to do is take the parts to a local welder (exhaust shop, or similar) and have the bits welded up.

Bill H.
Acoustic Propulsion Concepts


".......some day soon we'll be flying airplanes powered by pulsejets."[/quote]

hinote
Posts: 1241
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 1:54 am
Antipspambot question: 0
Location: Central California

Re: re: A "How to Bend Tubing and Pipe by Hand" we

Post by hinote » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:37 am

marksteamnz wrote:Bill I'd be interested and I have the welder. I'd like to be first off the block making noise. Might pay to make the same offer in the Valveless forum. One point "off the shelf" can vary according to where you live
That's going to be part of the problem.

I'd need to include an "off-the-shelf" megaphone--and the only supplier I can find is in California. I'd be glad to ship you one, if you really want to try it.

Also, I'm currently involved with 3 separate valveless PJ projects; that means I'm going to need 3 or 4 weeks to get something together. I'd want to build one, and run it myself--before letting somebody else try it. OTOH if you want to take the chance--every engine I've built since Burning Grape has been easy to start and run. We'll see.

Bill H.
Acoustic Propulsion Concepts


".......some day soon we'll be flying airplanes powered by pulsejets."

Dave
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2003 7:03 pm
Antipspambot question: 0
Location: Buffalo, NY

re: A "How to Bend Tubing and Pipe by Hand" web si

Post by Dave » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:53 am

Gentlemen

Please don’t get discouraged by the apparent lack of written feedback. There are those of us (me for one) who are entering a very busy time of year at work and have little time to contribute or comment. However, we do still enjoy reading, and learning from, the postings on the Forum. I have collected quite a pile of stainless steel, but at this point can only read your posts and dream of things to do with it. Please keep up the good work as your innovations may prove to be the catalyst for the next Pulse Jet Meet. Burning Grape was a great time. Flaming Farm could prove to be even more interesting.

Dave

milisavljevic
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:36 am
Antipspambot question: 125

Warnock applies.

Post by milisavljevic » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:17 am

Hello Bill,

The lack of response was neither surprising, nor disappointing. Granted, it does affect the timing, and probably the breadth,
of an offer to which you were referring. Or rather, the eventual fulfillment of my offer to post one or two Escopeta templates.
If no one cares, then why should I? The forum's resident "wikifiddler" does not count (for much). Warnock applies, as always!

Störgröße M.
__________________
"A source whose organizing principle appears to be that twenty jackasses make an expert." -- Andrew Orlowski

Mike Everman
Posts: 4930
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:25 am
Antipspambot question: 0
Location: santa barbara, CA
Contact:

re: A "How to Bend Tubing and Pipe by Hand" web si

Post by Mike Everman » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:00 pm

I agree that one shouldn't take a lack of replies as a negative comment. C'mon. No offense, Bill, but you wanted to spark debate with a bit of flaring on a tube? ha ha (a jab in all kindness..) Though I was trying to find time to take some pics of hydraulic forming I've had done also... just a tough time these days.

I still think kits are a waste of time (for the seller, I mean). someone that can weld is unlikely to pay someone to cut tubes, shipping, profit. I believe when you add it all up, your time will be very well spent on something else.
Mike
__________________________
Follow my technical science blog at: http://mikeeverman.com/
Get alerts for the above on twitter at: http://twitter.com/mikeeverman

milisavljevic
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:36 am
Antipspambot question: 125

re: Warnock applies.

Post by milisavljevic » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:31 am

Gentle Ben,

You made me blush. OTOH, your comment _was not_ ignored, only Warnocked...which accounts for one part of my comment. To paraphrase VW's "drivers wanted" slogan, I place more weight on comments from "builders"...If you have re-entered the builder's market, then I apologise. You may easily imagine that comments from a bait-cutter like Pater Bruno carry no weight with me, but I digress. FWIW, I personally enjoy the use of the Wikipedia...and have made the occasional (anonymous) edit.

Störgröße M.
__________________
"Once again, from the top."

hinote
Posts: 1241
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 1:54 am
Antipspambot question: 0
Location: Central California

Re: re: A "How to Bend Tubing and Pipe by Hand" we

Post by hinote » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:28 am

Mike Everman wrote: I still think kits are a waste of time (for the seller, I mean). someone that can weld is unlikely to pay someone to cut tubes, shipping, profit. I believe when you add it all up, your time will be very well spent on something else.
Actually, I was just offering to send Mark (in NZ) the necessary megs, if he really wants to build the proposed engine with OTS parts.

I WON'T be an engine kit-supplier; my proposal is to provide plans and dimensions, and a list of parts that can be purchased as off-the-shelf. This would mean the builder would need to trim lengths of tubing to spec, but not much else. Just take the whole thing to the welder, and let him have at-it!!

Again, I'm pretty busy (added another engine project to the list today--see the Valveless Forum), so this is going to orbit for several weeks. I won't offer anything until I build and test one myself.

Bill H.
Acoustic Propulsion Concepts

".......some day soon we'll be flying airplanes powered by pulsejets."

marksteamnz
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 1:42 am
Antipspambot question: 0
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: re: A "How to Bend Tubing and Pipe by Hand" we

Post by marksteamnz » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:04 am

Hi Bill. I'll happily wait untill you have a prototype. Thanks for the offer of the megaphone but when you are ready I'll check here first, you never know what is avaliable here or in Australia which will hopefully save the fairly horrendus freight charges for USA to NZ packages.
hinote wrote:
marksteamnz wrote:Bill I'd be interested and I have the welder. I'd like to be first off the block making noise. Might pay to make the same offer in the Valveless forum. One point "off the shelf" can vary according to where you live
That's going to be part of the problem.

I'd need to include an "off-the-shelf" megaphone--and the only supplier I can find is in California. I'd be glad to ship you one, if you really want to try it.

Also, I'm currently involved with 3 separate valveless PJ projects; that means I'm going to need 3 or 4 weeks to get something together. I'd want to build one, and run it myself--before letting somebody else try it. OTOH if you want to take the chance--every engine I've built since Burning Grape has been easy to start and run. We'll see.

Bill H.
Acoustic Propulsion Concepts


".......some day soon we'll be flying airplanes powered by pulsejets."
Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz

Post Reply