Metal spinning

Moderator: Mike Everman

ZSartell
Antipspambot question: 0

Metal spinning

Post by ZSartell » Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:59 am

Hello,

I have wanted to get into metal spinning for a long time but I'm not sure where to start. I found a 1/2hp large wood lathe at Harbor Freight for about $80. I think that I could easily modify it to work. Does anyone know how much power I'm going to need and if a cheap wood lathe is up to the task? I purchased a metal spinning book on e-bay a few years ago but it only has info on the tooling and not the lathe itself.

Al Belli

re: Metal spinning

Post by Al Belli » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:53 am

Hi ZSartell,

Torque at the spindle is the important parameter. You may have to add an auxilary jackshaft to reduce the spindle speed and increase the torque, since wood lathes operate in the higher RPM range.

I recommend Harbor Freight # 34706 wood lathe for spinning metal. The lowest speed of 600 RPM will produce ~ 6 1/2 foot pounds of torque at the spindle, which should be sufficient for Your spinning needs.

Al Belli

Al Belli

re: Metal spinning

Post by Al Belli » Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:45 pm

Hi ZSartell,

I read the post on the GLC forum, and I agree with them if You are spinning type 321. I have spun CRS and type 304 and type 316 using low Hp. by using roller bearing tooling.
For simple ( non severe ) spinning of ductile materials that don't workharden too much, low Hp. will work. Smaller diameters also require less torque.

Al Belli